Thanksgiving Holiday Traditions

halk

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 12.5
Well Thanksgiving is almost here just wondering if you and your family have big Thanksgiving family get together? My family use to when my parents and my wife's parents were living we always were at my parents for a noon meal and a night meal at her parents. Both our parents have passed away and now it's down to just us. One of our daughters lives close and my other daughter lives about 5 hours away (she has to work on Friday). So this year it will be just my wife, my daughter and granddaughter that lives close by and we are going to a restaurant on Thanksgiving night for dinner. Sad in a way that a lot of us have gotten so busy in our lives that we have forgone some of the old traditions.

My sister and her family is coming over.

For us, it's a light breakfast, followed by an hour or so of cardio at the gym. Lunch at my mother-in-law's place around 2pm. It's a small gathering - just MIL and FIL, SIL, her husband and son, and the four of us in my family. We'll watch football for a bit afterward then head out to a friend's house around 6pm, just to visit.

Same routine for the past 10 years or so, except we added the gym outing four years ago when we first joined.

We had Thanksgiving with my kids this weekend in Missouri while we were there seeing the grandkids, at my ex-wifes house, lol.

This week were going to Liz's mom's in Kansas for a few days.

The town where my parents live has one of the oldest continuously run races in the country - it's 5 miles. Everyone who isn't running tailgates or stands along the route with Bloody Mary's or a flask in hand. There are bagpipers along the route as well. After the race, most of the local bars open and people have open houses - which involves more drinking. Later in the day - everyone goes their respective ways for dinner.

I go to the ladies parents around noon and to my sisters house for my family thing at night.

Since my brother has an "on-call" type of job (he's a foreman for a natural gas company), we do Thanksgiving at his house. He lives in a golf community.

Mom and Mrs Gummi work on the vittles; Dad, Brother, and I go play 18-27 holes of golf to stay out of the way. Twerpy chooses who she wants to hang out with, me or the Mrs, and we plan accordingly.

Christmas is similar.

The town where my parents live has one of the oldest continuously run races in the country - it's 5 miles. Everyone who isn't running tailgates or stands along the route with Bloody Mary's or a flask in hand. There are bagpipers along the route as well. After the race, most of the local bars open and people have open houses - which involves more drinking. Later in the day - everyone goes their respective ways for dinner.

That's pretty neat. Have you been to these Diane? Which are you - runner, tailgater, flask-holder or bagpiper?

That's pretty neat. Have you been to these Diane? Which are you - runner, tailgater, flask-holder or bagpiper?

Or is she the one who snoops in everyone's homes since everyone is at the race? hehehe

Or is she the one who snoops in everyone's homes since everyone is at the race? hehehe

I'm not a runner. I've been going to the race since I was a little girl - we used to go to the finish line, but it's too crowded so now we just find a spot on the route. It's funny - I recognize people who I went to grad school with in NY running. I hate bagpipes.

No major family tradition for us. We are kind of starting our own family tradition now. When I was a kid we always did Thanksgiving at my house. My grandparents would come over and it would be them and the four of us (mom, dad, sister, me). My mom and I would cook dinner all day, my sister would hang out with my grandmothers, and my grand father and dad would watch football. With my day job being so demanding and JB and I being so busy with the site and the magazine we decided to stay home and make dinner just the two of us, and Ellie of course. His parents invited us to their house but I have to work Friday and they live about 4 hours away so that was just too much to do. So this year we will start our own new tradition.

I always do Thanksgiving, and I love it. This year, there will be ten of us, which is fine--it's how many my dining room table fits comfortably.

I made my stuffing bread last weekend and will chop it up Tuesday so it gets dry. A lot of prep work Wednesday evening. Thursday is pretty easy after all that.

Usually my parents come down from NE Wisconsin and my brother, his wife, my parents and I all have Thanksgiving dinner together.
This year will be the first year that I wont be having Thanksgiving with my family. On Wednesday my girlfriend and I are flying to Maryland to have dinner with her family. We're going to have dinner on Thursday, do a little sightseeing in DC Thursday night, drive to the beach (Ive never seen the ocean, so its will be a first for me) and fly home early Sunday.
She has 3 brothers, all of whom Im sure are very protective of her, so it should be an interesting weekend. They are all into sports though, so Im sure we will have plenty to talk about and I met her mom about a month ago and her mom loves me, so at least I have that going for me.

On Wednesday my girlfriend and I are flying to Maryland to have dinner with her family. We're going to have dinner on Thursday, do a little sightseeing in DC Thursday night, drive to the beach (Ive never seen the ocean, so its will be a first for me)

Ocean City, Maryland? A lot of nice golf courses around there!

Use to have the annual "Turkey Bowl" flag football game every Thanksgiving with family and friends. As "us" kids grew up and moved away from Maryland, the game kinda of fizzled out. It was always a good time. Then I'd have two Thanksgiving dinners at both set of grandparents houses, and watch football.

We meet at my grandmothers. (But this already happened canada thnks giving)
It was all great like every year til Boady the new pug puppy supposedly swallowed an advil and my sister in veterinary college made him throw up to save his life. Other than that the same as every year.

Ocean City, Maryland? A lot of nice golf courses around there!
My girlfriend's family lives in Silver Spring. Her mom was in town visiting about a month ago and she did mention to me about golf courses in the area and I could swear she mentioned Ocean City. The name sounds really familiar.

LMAO, poor Boady. Bet that went great with the turkey dinner!

My girlfriend's family lives in Silver Spring. Her mom was in town visiting about a month ago and she did mention to me about golf courses in the area and I could swear she mentioned Ocean City. The name sounds really familiar.

Just figured if you were driving to the beach in Maryland, you'd be going to Ocean City. That is the main ocean resort city.

Bucky - Enjoy your trip. I know you'll enjoy the ocean. It's beautiful at this time of year when the beaches aren't as crowded.

Just figured if you were driving to the beach in Maryland, you'd be going to Ocean City. That is the main ocean resort city.
As much as I like that idea, I have a feeling my girlfriend wouldnt think thats a very good idea.
She lets me play golf anytime I want and this upcoming weekend is supposed to be about spending time with her friends and family, so Id be a pretty crappy boyfriend if I tried to blow that off in order to go play golf.
I do appreciate the suggestion though. Maybe some other time when Im in that area I will be able to take my clubs with and play some golf.

Bucky - Enjoy your trip. I know you'll enjoy the ocean. It's beautiful at this time of year when the beaches aren't as crowded.
Thank you. :D We went to New York City about 6 weeks ago and I loved it, so Im pretty sure I will like Maryland.
Im looking foreward to the trip.
Ive always wanted to see the ocean. When we were in New York, we walked along the shore of the Hudson in Hoboken withing eyesight of the Statue Of Liberty and I asked my girlfriend, "so where is the ocean from here??" Then, later that same day, we walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and stopped halfway across and looked out into the bay and took some pics. Of all the questions I could have asked, the first one that popped to my mind to ask my girlfriend was, "soooo, is that the ocean?"
Ive lived in the midwest all my life and the biggest body of water Ive been close to is Lake Superior, so to me its kind of a big deal to go see the ocean. Im sure those of you who have lived on the coast are thinking, "its not that big of a deal..."

As much as I like that idea, I have a feeling my girlfriend wouldnt think thats a very good idea.
She lets me play golf anytime I want and this upcoming weekend is supposed to be about spending time with her friends and family, so Id be a pretty crappy boyfriend if I tried to blow that off in order to go play golf.
I do appreciate the suggestion though. Maybe some other time when Im in that area I will be able to take my clubs with and play some golf.

"Lets"? hehe (You're not married . . . yet! lol)

"Lets"? hehe (You're not married . . . yet! lol)
Wow, even I didnt realize I said that one...LOL. When I say that she, "lets" me play golf, I mean that when I want to go play golf on the weekends shes supportive of my obsession with golf and doesnt guilt trip me about it. She also doesnt rag on me when I spend money on golf stuff.
Honestly, she likes that Im so passionate about golf. Infact, next year she is planning on buying a set of golf clubs for herself and playing golf with me from time to time. Pretty cool, eh? :wink:

That is cool that she wants to play. Definitely encourage that!

Back