What should be done here?

I won't risk injury to myself either. I'm not sure how you would hurt someone else though?

The club could come out of your hands, or the head could fly off.

EDIT: Harry'd again! (Too slow)

Thanks Diane. That was a great help to me.

Fourputt is the best - I believe he's been to the USGA rules seminar. Harry is almost as good, but Fourputt has been playing a lot longer so he's got the edge. Ty likes the rules too.

I too take relief from areas that are rocky or have roots sticking out. First off I don't want to tear up a perfectly good golf club but most importantly I don't want to get hurt or hurt someone else. I watched a guy break his wrist hitting off a root once and that is all it took for me to move the ball off them. Pro's get free clubs I don't and as long as that is the case I'm not doing anything that might result in me having to buy a new one.

Agreed!

It really depends upon what a person considers as "damage". For some, damage is any mark on a club no matter how tiny while to others, anything short of breaking the club in two is fine by them.

Personally, I don't regard a golf club as some sort of 'objet d'art', so I'm not bothered by nicks and scratches, but that's me. I know other people who would have a mild stroke if they just dropped a club in the parking lot, so everyone's idea of damage is different.

-JP

If it's going to scratch, damage, slightly tint, or otherwise leave a mark on my club I'll take the available distance back to a safer spot. It has nothing to do with 'objet d'art', it's about not being able to buy new clubs every time I'd like to.

I take care of my stuff.

I'm a bit surprised that so many of you opt for the penalty rather than a possible scratch on your club.

What penalty, in this case it's a man made object?

What penalty, in this case it's a man made object?

You were responding to the original post? I thought you were responding to the other posts about hurting your clubs and talking in general.

Actually I was, lol. I'm cheap. My last set lasted 20 years and still look new. I killed a crazy snake on my driveway one early AM with my 7 iron and have never forgivin myself.

I killed a crazy snake on my driveway one early AM with my 7 iron and have never forgivin myself.

As opposed to a sane snake on your driveway?

Actually I was, lol. I'm cheap. My last set lasted 20 years and still look new. I killed a crazy snake on my driveway one early AM with my 7 iron and have never forgivin myself.

Duey - It's just a golf club.

Spoiler

Am I going to be tarred and feathered now?

As opposed to a sane snake on your driveway?

LMAO, the stupid thing was stricking at my legs in the dark. I hate snakes!!! When I figured out what was hiting my pants I freaked... wham wham wham. He was hugh (13 incher).

LMAO, the stupid thing was stricking at my legs in the dark. I hate snakes!!! When I figured out what was hiting my pants I freaked... wham wham wham. He was hugh (13 incher).

If it was dark - how could you tell how big it was?

I opened my truck door and it wasn't that dark. I killed that trespassin varmint. The iron still works, you just have to line up a little further left.

Do you get relief for a tree root?

I'll hit around tree roots and such, but generally a safe shot like flipping the club around backwards and using the toe. Under low hanging trees are the ones I hate because I don't want to bend the shaft, but hard to punch very far without coming up some.

Sergio can answer that question for you: Close your eyes and just rip it.*

*#16 Medina - 1999 PGA Championship

Years after his infamous shot, I went to the scene of the crime to try it myself. Unfortunately, I was not the only person who had that in mind. It appeared that so many people attempted to replicate Sergio's shot that the tree and ground was all chewed up.

What should be done here?

WhatToDo.jpg

I'd see if I could borrow one of JP's clubs for this shot! hehehe

I hate taking a penalty and I would rather put a few little scratches on my clubs than take a penalty. I don't really have a second thought about hitting crap with my wedges because they are pretty scared up already. I absolutely hate taking penalties.

How many times have you taken the drop from a spot like this and then ended up hitting a bad shot anyways after all the trouble of dropping? Me, more times than I can count. This lie does not look bad at all, there is dirt under the ball, not the cart path and it looks to only be a wedge/9i shot away. The only clubs I worry about damaging are my woods/drivers/hybrids, the irons are fair game. I know they can take some pretty good abuse and it would take a heck of a whack to damage the club. If it were a tree root, I would pick up and drop, so I wouldn't hurt myself.

I hate to think how many times I've taken a drop and had the ball fall way deep into the grass. Then the shot comes up short or way long over the green, lol. Gotta love this game.

How many times have you taken the drop from a spot like this and then ended up hitting a bad shot anyways after all the trouble of dropping? Me, more times than I can count. This lie does not look bad at all, there is dirt under the ball, not the cart path and it looks to only be a wedge/9i shot away. The only clubs I worry about damaging are my woods/drivers/hybrids, the irons are fair game. I know they can take some pretty good abuse and it would take a heck of a whack to damage the club. If it were a tree root, I would pick up and drop, so I wouldn't hurt myself.

I used a 60° wedge. The dirt was almost as hard as the cart path. It was the first time I had ever tried a shot like that, but now I am going to try to practice that type of shot.

I used a 60° wedge. The dirt was almost as hard as the cart path. It was the first time I had ever tried a shot like that, but now I am going to try to practice that type of shot.

Unfortunately, I have practiced this shot on the course many, many times. :D I just play the ball back a little to make sure I hit ball first and take 1 more club so I don't have to swing with too much force. Usually works for me. Since I play desert courses any ball off the grass is sitting on either hard red rock or hard but sandy dirt and you have to get used to hitting these. In fact my club lets us carry a *rock* club in our bag, except for our club championship tournaments.

Back