Diane

Reaction score
I know most of us are quiet when the people in our group are hitting, but what about when someone is on the next tee or green - are you quiet then? The other day I was in the fairway on the 9th hole and a guy on the 1st hole was yelling across his fairway to one of his playing partners. I have to admit it distracted me, but I've probably done something similar at some point. I know I've chatted on the tee before I noticed people on a nearby green putting. So - are you quiet in terms of your own group only or do you take the rest of the golfers on the course into account?

I try to be quiet if I think I'm close enough to distract others nearby. I've had people distract me like your talking, in fact we had a group catch up to us on a slow day that had a radio in their cart blasting music. Not Cool! We blasted them, lol.

I shanked a ball about 2 miles into the woods the other day b/c of a guy on the green beside of us yelling at the top of his lungs. He got me right in my downswing and I tensed up hard. Needless to say I was furious and rode over to give him a piece of my mind, those type of things are just part of the game I guess but I never raise my voice on a golf course when others are playing near me. I think it is the most rude thing a person can do especially when they know others are trying to play close by.

Several people at my country club are learning quickly that I don't put up with B.S. from people. I don't care how long they have been a member there or if they layed the first brick. They will treat me with respect or they won't like seeing me anymore. It's people who disrespect other golfers that make me so mad that I could beat the snot out of them and just keep right on playing.

P.S. in a kind hello kitty way Diane. ;)

I try to be. The main course that I play is in a river valley. There is the front nine on one side of the river and about a 200 foot cliff on the other. So needless to say, at certain spots on that front nine, noise travels well. Sometimes if you are on one hole, you can hear a normal conversation going on 100 yards to the other side on a different hole. It really gets amplified when people talk loudly. I have noticed this a few times and try and keep a quiet voice if others are around becuase I know that the sound travels well there. Unfortunately, many others have not figured this out.

It is amazing how many people think that if they shout to a playing partner on one hole, there is a magic force field that keeps others from hearing on a neighboring hole.

Several people at my country club are learning quickly that I don't put up with B.S. from people. I don't care how long they have been a member there or if they layed the first brick. They will treat me with respect or they won't like seeing me anymore. It's people who disrespect other golfers that make me so mad that I could beat the snot out of them and just keep right on playing.

P.S. in a kind hello kitty way Diane. ;)

Again - you scare me a bit.

It is amazing how many people think that if they shout to a playing partner on one hole, there is a magic force field that keeps others from hearing on a neighboring hole.

That's funny, but true. I'm a bit like that at times.

Sweet my job here is done! :clap:

solidkjames sounds like my kind of golfer, haha.

For the record, I try to stay quiet if there are other groups around and have no problem telling people in my group or other groups to STFU.

Yes, I'm quiet then. Or at least I intend to be. I hate it when people are making noise and I'm trying to play, so it's only fair that I don't do it to other people. I wouldn't go as far as solidkjames, but I kind of agree with him. I'm also a big wuss, so I would go out of my way to avoid confrontation.

Generally, the rule is to be courteous to those groups around you. But, I also believe it depends on the circumstances. If my group is on the tee box or the fairway near a group on a putting green, there is no reason for us to be loud. In such a situation, I will be particularly mindful of the groups around me and be courteous. If, however, my group is on the green near a tee box, I will still try to be courteous, but I am not as concerned with the group on the tee. If a buddy hits in a 50-ft chip or something else of note, I will have no problem with a joyous "way to go". In this situation, it is probably best for those on the tee box to wait for an opportune time to hit their drive (i.e. right after someone on the nearby green putted or when they are still lining the putt). Otherwise, they risk being disrupted by a player who just made -- or even barely missed -- a long putt.

Generally, the rule is to be courteous to those groups around you. But, I also believe it depends on the circumstances. If my group is on the tee box or the fairway near a group on a putting green, there is no reason for us to be loud. In such a situation, I will be particularly mindful of the groups around me and be courteous. If, however, my group is on the green near a tee box, I will still try to be courteous, but I am not as concerned with the group on the tee. If a buddy hits in a 50-ft chip or something else of note, I will have no problem with a joyous "way to go". In this situation, it is probably best for those on the tee box to wait for an opportune time to hit their drive (i.e. right after someone on the nearby green putted or when they are still lining the putt). Otherwise, they risk being disrupted by a player who just made -- or even barely missed -- a long putt.

I agree with this. And luckily, the course I play the most is Links style, so there are only a couple of adjacent holes where noise would be an issue (just #'s 1,2 and 3, really). Most tee boxes and greens are far enough apart where even cheering on the greens or whooping it up after an awesome drive wouldn't bother people.

You can't be quiet all the time, in fact, people whispering loud enough for me to hear bothers me more than people just talking.

solidkjames sounds like my kind of golfer, haha.

For the record, I try to stay quiet if there are other groups around and have no problem telling people in my group or other groups to STFU.

MO - You're starting to scare me a bit too. Would you really say that to someone?

MO - You're starting to scare me a bit too. Would you really say that to someone?

I'm sure he would say "PLEASE, STFU.":bananadance:

I try to remain quiet and still if anyone around me is getting ready to hit.
Even if Im just walking down the fairway and there is a green of another hole nearby where someone is putting, I will stop and stay quiet and still until they have finished hitting.
Noise or movement nearby doesnt really distract me, but I know it really bothers some people and I try to be understanding of that.

Even if Im just walking down the fairway and there is a green of another hole nearby where someone is putting, I will stop and stay quiet and still until they have finished hitting.

I don't get that. If everyone on the course did that - wouldn't it take forever to play a round? I understand stopping if you've finished a hole and are walking to the next tee, but people are still teeing off; however, I can't understand stopping on an adjacent fairway.

If I'm near someone who is playing a shot on another hole, I will usually stop and wait for them to play. But most people do not like the idea of having an audience, so 95% of the time, they'll see me do that and say something like, "That's OK, just keep goin'" and I give them a nod and move away quickly.

As far as the overall picture goes, there are lots of people on a golf course and not all of them are aware of their surroundings, or care about such things as courtesy, just as I'd encounter anywhere else in the world. From time to time, I get annoyed by the noise that others make, but over the years I've learned to anticipate such things and I try to "see it coming" whenever I can and either speed up or slow down a bit so that our audio paths don't cross.

As far as respect is concerned, you get what you give. "Demanding" respect is a dicey situation because most of the things that people do on a golf course are not meant to be disrespectful and I doubt that most even realize that what they do or say affects someone else at all. So, the idea of getting in someone's grill about such things is something that needs to be addressed on a situational basis and only if it's excessive. For me to actually drive or walk to a tee or green or another fairway to confront someone over such things would have to be the result of one helluva distracting thing.

Besides, when I'm on a golf course, I get so into what I'm doing that most of the time I wouldn't notice a missile attack anyway, so something like one guy yelling to another usually falls on deaf ears. Not to mention the fact that if I'm obsessing over what other people are doing then that means I'm not concentrating on what I'm doing and when it comes to golf, that's never a good thing and it usually means I'm losing my focus.

-JP

Most golfers are generally on the course trying to have a good time within the parameters of the etiquette that defines the game. To get really angry because someone on a nearby tee, green, or fairway may shout, move, or make noise that affects one of your shots seems silly to me. I would never approach someone in anger over such a thing unless it was deliberate and/or serial in nature.

On the other hand, I cannot abide slow play. I get very angry if I feel waiting has contributed to a poorly executed shot. I carry a special club for those situations. It has bits of hair, skin, and bone in the grooves. We call it The Instructor, because it teaches "ready" golf.

Kevin

I don't get that. If everyone on the course did that - wouldn't it take forever to play a round? I understand stopping if you've finished a hole and are walking to the next tee, but people are still teeing off; however, I can't understand stopping on an adjacent fairway.
It doesnt happen on every hole. I only do it Im Im withing 20' feet of the other group.

Most golfers are generally on the course trying to have a good time within the parameters of the etiquette that defines the game. To get really angry because someone on a nearby tee, green, or fairway may shout, move, or make noise that affects one of your shots seems silly to me. I would never approach someone in anger over such a thing unless it was deliberate and/or serial in nature.

On the other hand, I cannot abide slow play. I get very angry if I feel waiting has contributed to a poorly executed shot. I carry a special club for those situations. It has bits of hair, skin, and bone in the grooves. We call it The Instructor, because it teaches "ready" golf.

Kevin
The people who I play with sometimes are very serious about their game. They are out there to have fun, but when they are getting ready to hit a shot they expect you to remain quiet and still.
They probably wouldnt scream at anyone in anger, but if you dont follow simple ettiquite, they definetly wont ask you to play with them again.

The people who I play with sometimes are very serious about their game. They are out there to have fun, but when they are getting ready to hit a shot they expect you to remain quiet and still.
They probably wouldnt scream at anyone in anger, but if you dont follow simple ettiquite, they definetly wont ask you to play with them again.

Diane was not speaking about playing partners, but rather other groups on different holes. Of course proper etiquette suggests you remain quiet when a playing partner is to play a shot, and while yelling and screaming on a golf course is generally not accepted behavior, going into a rage about isolated incidents seems just as excessive and in similar poor taste. Just because others engage in callow behavior, I'm not going to act in kind.

I'm a gentleman on and off the golf course, except when dealing with slow play. Then it's time to break out The Instructor.

Kevin

If I'm near someone who is playing a shot on another hole, I will usually stop and wait for them to play. But most people do not like the idea of having an audience, so 95% of the time, they'll see me do that and say something like, "That's OK, just keep goin'" and I give them a nod and move away quickly.

As far as the overall picture goes, there are lots of people on a golf course and not all of them are aware of their surroundings, or care about such things as courtesy, just as I'd encounter anywhere else in the world. From time to time, I get annoyed by the noise that others make, but over the years I've learned to anticipate such things and I try to "see it coming" whenever I can and either speed up or slow down a bit so that our audio paths don't cross.

As far as respect is concerned, you get what you give. "Demanding" respect is a dicey situation because most of the things that people do on a golf course are not meant to be disrespectful and I doubt that most even realize that what they do or say affects someone else at all. So, the idea of getting in someone's grill about such things is something that needs to be addressed on a situational basis and only if it's excessive. For me to actually drive or walk to a tee or green or another fairway to confront someone over such things would have to be the result of one helluva distracting thing.

Besides, when I'm on a golf course, I get so into what I'm doing that most of the time I wouldn't notice a missile attack anyway, so something like one guy yelling to another usually falls on deaf ears. Not to mention the fact that if I'm obsessing over what other people are doing then that means I'm not concentrating on what I'm doing and when it comes to golf, that's never a good thing and it usually means I'm losing my focus.

-JP

Nicely put JP

Depends on the situation, I would say it nicely the first time or two. There were a couple of times during league this year that I told people to be quiet in a blunt manner.:D

-JP

Respect can come many different ways. Losing focus due to noise is one thing but when a grown man screams like a 3 year old that is different. I usually let stuff slide but like I said I tensed up so bad my ball flew 2 miles into the woods. My hole was ruined and the guy was going to know about it. He realized his mistake and apologized for being an idiot. However, like I said before if he wouldn't have shown respect like I did for approaching him then he wouldn't like me anymore. It's pretty simple like you said, you get what you give and I gave him my full attention. And I bet you will never hear him yelling on a golf course again for no reason.

Let me also mention what I have told Diane before. The shock factor of situations like this for most people is I'm a VERY amiable person. Almost to a fault. I try and be nice to every person I meet but there are times where I lose myself in the moment. I am not a person who tries to bully people, I'm not a smart ass or mean to people and for the most part I'm one of the nicest people you will ever meet. So when something you do gets my attention to the point of riding over there and reminding you there are others out here, people usually listen. I think it's important to know that many people at our country club have run off other members over the years for the way they treat people. It is no secret and something that I myself will change. The older generation of the club has created a cliq and they talk about people like dogs. I have personally stopped a few of those converations and actually overheard 3 guys talking about me one day. So needless to say my reputation is spreading around there that though I'm a nice guy who doesnt drink I will not tolerate disrespectful behavior by anyone. That goes for the club president down to the newest member.

So much abrupt golf course noise isn't even from other players--there's traffic, people living adjacent to the course, construction, you name it. A noise that wrecks your swing is a bad break, but in my experience, it's as likely to come from off the course as on it.

So much abrupt golf course noise isn't even from other players--there's traffic, people living adjacent to the course, construction, you name it. A noise that wrecks your swing is a bad break, but in my experience, it's as likely to come from off the course as on it.
Ive personally always thought that golfers are a little oversensative about noise. I can think of plenty of other sports that require just as much concentraction and the players make it happen while thousands of people are yelling, screaming and trying to distract them.

Back