LPGA Tour Championship [spoilers]

Just checked the leaderboard. Play is suspended again.

Come on! This is a conspiracy! This is Texas for Pete's sake!

It may be Texas, but it's Houston. Technically, hurricane season is still on.

It may be Texas, but it's Houston. Technically, hurricane season is still on.

Still, Texas rain normally hits hard and is gone in a couple of hours. Hardly ever a multi-day thing.

No golf today. :at-wits-end:

Monday finish? Only 54 holes? Not good.

Monday finish? Only 54 holes? Not good.

It's the last event of the year and it is the Tour Championship, so I would hope that they play all 72, even if that means Monday or even Tuesday.

It's the last event of the year and it is the Tour Championship, so I would hope that they play all 72, even if that means Monday or even Tuesday.

There's supposed to be a double cut, with only 30 players the last day. So they'd have to change the entire format of the event to cut it to 54 holes.

Farq.

<H2>Rain forces LPGA Tour Championship to 54 holes
Associated Press, 11.21.09, 04:01 PM EST
595845434230734a636d414141724447
595845434230734a636d414141724447

RICHMOND, Texas -- Persistent rain and wet conditions have washed out play at the LPGA Tour Championship, forcing officials to cut the season-ending event to 54 holes.

More than 1.2 inches of rain fell on The Houstonian Country Club layout from Friday morning until the decision was made at 2:30 p.m. CST Saturday to cancel play for the day.

B3351609;sz=1x1;ord=410708015

Play is expected to resume at 8 a.m. local time Sunday to complete the second round. A cut will be made to the low 70 scores and ties and a third round and final round will be played starting at 7 a.m. Monday.

Tournament leader Lorena Ochoa and most of the other players were not in the clubhouse when the decision was made to cancel play on Saturday and return Sunday when the forecast is for sunny and dry conditions.
</H2>

I'm watching the LPGA Tour Championship on DVR now. Dottie Pepper just told a story (around the 56 minute mark) about how Reilly Rankin ran out of money with several weeks left in the 2009 LPGA season. She was going to pack it in but her uncle, who owns several restaurants in the Hilton Head area said, "No. I'm not going to let this happen. I'm going to prop you up and you are going to go play and finish out the season in style." Reilly offered to work in his restaurants in the off-season, but her uncle said "No. You are going to go practice."

Since then, she has a top 10 and she is (as of the time Dottie told the story) leading the Tour Championship.

If anyone knows the names of the restaurants, I'd be interested to know because if I'm ever near Hilton Head, I intend to patronize them.

No clue, but she's had a really up and down career. Two years ago, she had a fabulous finish at the Women's British Open--3rd or 4th. Since then, she's been invisible. I've talked to people who've played pro-ams with her and they say she's wonderful. I do know that as she leaves every green, she always thanks the volunteers. She's the only pro I've seen do that.

For anyone who's wondering, no relation to Judy.

They called play on account of darkness again. This is nuts. Jiyai Shin is five under for the day through 16; Lorena's at par through 17. That doesn't bode well for Lorena.

Kristy McPherson is the leader in the clubhouse.

Golf Channel Times for tomorrow (Monday) 4-6pm.

Crazy scheduling this tournament, but with the rain I think they did the best they could. I would love to see Kristy McPherson get her first win. She has played so well in the majors this year and now in the Tour Championship. It is funny because she always had trouble at Q-School, but now is playing the big tournaments well!

Golf Channel Times for tomorrow (Monday) 4-6pm.

Crazy scheduling this tournament, but with the rain I think they did the best they could. I would love to see Kristy McPherson get her first win. She has played so well in the majors this year and now in the Tour Championship. It is funny because she always had trouble at Q-School, but now is playing the big tournaments well!

Thank you soxy. I'd like see McPherson get a win too. (Even though she plays a long putter. Grrrrrr.)

What happened to Vicky Hurst? Dead last at +14. 10 over for round 2.

I don't think this has been mentioned, but Monday finishes can also cause difficulties re: volunteers. So many will have to return to work, so many will have flights out, etc. It puts a burden on those that are able to stay and help.

I don't think this has been mentioned, but Monday finishes can also cause difficulties re: volunteers. So many will have to return to work, so many will have flights out, etc. It puts a burden on those that are able to stay and help.

Good point. Particularly when they had originally scheduled volunteers for 30 players on Sunday, and now they need volunteers for 70 players on Monday.

With Thanksgiving this week, it can be the toughest week of the year to get a flight!!

I like the statement to Se Ri about finishing!

McPherson moves in front with Monday finish ahead
By Sports Network - The Sports Network

Kristy McPherson fired a five-under 67 on Sunday to move atop the leaderboard during the suspended second round of the LPGA Tour Championship.
McPherson finished 36 holes at eight-under 136 and is one ahead of Jiyai Shin and two clear of Lorena Ochoa, Anna Nordqvist and Heather Bowie Young.
The big story was that there was actually golf played at The Houstonian Golf & Country Club.
After all of Saturday was washed away and there was a six-hour delay on Friday, the golfers got back to the course on Sunday, albeit, after a four- hour delay to get the course playable.
Once Saturday's action was scrapped, tournament officials decided to trim the tournament to 54 holes with a Monday finish.
At 8:00 a.m. (et) Monday, the players will return to polish off the second round. The plan is to make the cut to low 70 and ties and play the final round in threesomes off both the first and 10th tees.
The original plan for the tournament called for a second-round cut of low 70 and ties and a third-round cut to low 30 and ties for the final round. That was scrapped when the tournament was shortened and Monday's cut will be to low 70 and ties.
This all may not matter since there is some concern for Monday. There might be a fog delay early Monday and any type of delay could jeopardize finishing on that day.
With the Thanksgiving holiday on Thursday, officials don't want to keep the players too long, but there is a lot riding on this championship. Nothing looms larger than the Player of the Year race.
Shin leads Ochoa by a slim margin and Shin moved past the first-round leader Ochoa on the leaderboard Sunday. Shin netted six birdies and a bogey through 16 holes of her second round. Shin's last hole was the par-five 16th and she kicked in a short one for the birdie that put her alone in second.
Ochoa reached seven-under par with birdies at 14 and 16 when she got on in two and two-putted from long distance. At the par-three 17th, Ochoa found a greenside bunker and couldn't save par.
Shin is five-under in her round, while Ochoa is only even-par. Nordqvist, the LPGA Champion, posted a four-under 68 to get in at six-under 138, while Bowie Young is three-under through 16 holes.
While the Player of the Year race is big, McPherson is still the one on top of the leaderboard.
She has had a huge advantage this week just being in her side of the draw. McPherson has played two rounds without interruption, other than a two-day break, and she completed round two, meaning she doesn't have to wake up early on Monday and finish the round.
"I was fortunate enough to play two uninterrupted rounds, which not a lot of girls have done that. I've been on the bad end a couple times, too," said McPherson. "First tee, I told Se Ri (Pak), if you ain't finishing, I'm going by myself. We had a twosome out there. We were fortunate to get through today."
McPherson started on the 10th tee in round two and flew up the leaderboard thanks to three birdies in a row, starting at the 12th and ending with a five- footer at 14. She parred seven in a row around the turn, then birdied the par- three fourth for the second time in as many rounds.
At the par-four sixth, McPherson sank a 15-foot birdie putt to move into the lead alone at minus-eight. She parred her last three to take first with one round to go.
This has been a good year for McPherson with runner-up finishes at the Kraft Nabisco Championship and the Wegmans LPGA. McPherson made her Solheim Cup debut as well, but has yet to visit the winner's circle on the LPGA Tour.
She will gladly take it this week, even if it's under bizarre circumstances.
"It's still a competition. You still got the best players in the world here, and still playing golf," McPherson said.
Helen Alfredsson (67) and Mikaela Parmlid (66) are in the clubhouse at five- under 139. Reilley Rankin is even in her round through 13 holes and is tied for sixth at five-under par.
Pak, Karen Stupples and Suzann Pettersen are done round two at four-under 140. Yani Tseng, Na Yeon Choi, Chella Choi and Taylor Leon are at four-under and have to finish the round on Monday.

OK, the LPGA is saying the time has been changed by the golf channel to 3-5pm, however the golf channel website is still saying 4-6!

My solution DVR from 3-6.:confused2:

OK, the LPGA is saying the time has been changed by the golf channel to 3-5pm, however the golf channel website is still saying 4-6!

My solution DVR from 3-6.:confused2:

Don't forget to add in extra time in case it runs over.

I haven't figured out yet how to DVR remotely. Rats.

Final round is underway, with N.Y. Choi and Yani Tseng both making their moves. Neither of those is a surprise.

Holy crap. Na Yeon Choi is 7-under through 11 holes!

8 under through 16. Hey, the only reason she WASN'T Rookie of the Year last year was Yani Tseng. The girl's got serious game.

However, Anna Nordqvist is one stroke ahead, showing that the McDonald's wasnt a fluke. Lorena is tied with N.Y. for #2, but Jiyai Shin is T6. The only way Lorena can win Player of the Year is if she finishes either first, or no worse than third and Jiyai is out of the top ten. It's gonna be a great finish. (And I"m not gonna get to see it! :crying:)

8 under through 16. Hey, the only reason she WASN'T Rookie of the Year last year was Yani Tseng. The girl's got serious game.

However, Anna Nordqvist is one stroke ahead, showing that the McDonald's wasnt a fluke. Lorena is tied with N.Y. for #2, but Jiyai Shin is T6. The only way Lorena can win Player of the Year is if she finishes either first, or no worse than third and Jiyai is out of the top ten. It's gonna be a great finish. (And I"m not gonna get to see it! :crying:)

You might be able to program your DVR online.

Have you set up an online account yet?

You might be able to program your DVR online.

Only if I knew enough information to get into the account. Or had a clue how to go about that. The last time I checked the Comcast web site, they weren't so user friendly with all that stuff.

Never mind--let's talk about the tourney. Looks like poor Reilley Rankin lost some momentum there.

Only if I knew enough information to get into the account. Or had a clue how to go about that. The last time I checked the Comcast web site, they weren't so user friendly with all that stuff.

Never mind--let's talk about the tourney. Looks like poor Reilley Rankin lost some momentum there.

They will probably do a replay tonight.

Back