The Official 2009 NFL Thread

I just wish that just one time, the games will end when they are supposed to so our Sunday night shows on CBS record correctly without having to extend them by an hour. You'd think that someday they will come up with a "Smart" DVR that will know when things run over and/or start later than scheduled. While they're at it, have it pause the recordings during the commercials. I wish our DVR had a commercial skip button on the remote, I've only seen those on Satellite systems. This has turned into a rant. Perhaps I should put it there too/instead.

Packers looked pretty good for the second week in a row. Gave up a few sacks and McCarthy played it a little conservatively in the second half. Defense looked pretty good again today, after the big performance in Dallas last week. There's hope. The O-line looked more stable today with Tauscher and Clifton both playing.

Now they need to take of business in Detroit on Turkey Day and their soundly in the hunt for a wildcard.

Favre and the Vikings keep rolling, unfortunately.

Kevin

Packers looked pretty good for the second week in a row. Gave up a few sacks and McCarthy played it a little conservatively in the second half. Defense looked pretty good again today, after the big performance in Dallas last week. There's hope. The O-line looked more stable today with Tauscher and Clifton both playing.

Now they need to take of business in Detroit on Turkey Day and their soundly in the hunt for a wildcard.

Favre and the Vikings keep rolling, unfortunately.

Kevin

Favre may be the MVP of the league right now and is the most efficient QB in the NFL after today. He is on fire. I thought the Packers D looked pretty bad in the 2nd half but that could be more about conservative coaching than anything else. But they let them back in it.

I just wish that just one time, the games will end when they are supposed to so our Sunday night shows on CBS record correctly without having to extend them by an hour.

I can't figure out why CBS still thinks that 60 Minutes will start at 7:00, 6:00 central. If they have the doubleheader, they should just eliminate 30 minutes of programing and start the night lineup at 6:30 when the games end. The majority of the time, the entire Sunday lineup ends 30-40 minutes later than it should. The ratings have to suffer that late on a Sunday when stuff won't end until 11:30.

I can't figure out why CBS still thinks that 60 Minutes will start at 7:00, 6:00 central. If they have the doubleheader, they should just eliminate 30 minutes of programing and start the night lineup at 6:30 when the games end. The majority of the time, the entire Sunday lineup ends 30-40 minutes later than it should. The ratings have to suffer that late on a Sunday when stuff won't end until 11:30.

That's a benefit of living in the Pacific time zone. Games going over don't affect the start time of Sunday prime time programming.

Wow, Mark Sanchise does not look like it today. He is looking like a rookie for the last few weeks.

Orton comes in off the bench and is on fire. I think it is safe to say that Chris Simms is just that gosh darn bad. I watched him look absurd for a few years in Tampa.

How about that, KC beats the Steelers. THey are very much in jeopardy of not making the playoffs and most of this falls on Big Ben. Bad mistakes again this game.

I wouldn't put it all on his shoulders. Granted, he holds the ball too long many times, but that is what makes him hard to defend. The result is that teams spend a lot of time trying to contain him and tend to bring the house more often and in very creative ways and Ariens hasn't quite figured out how to protect against that.

Add to that the fact that because they're the champs, even teams like KC get "up" for the challenge and if Ben or the team as a whole take a team for granted, all of a sudden something like today happens.

Of course, allowing an opening kickoff to be returned for a TD doesn't help and that's about the fourth or fifth time that's happened to them this year and just like last week, if that doesn't happen, they likely win the game. So Special Teams is still an issue (and has been for way too long). Then of course there's the more simple explanation of just being in a slump, which happens to everyone at some point.

Is Ben overrated? Maybe a little, but if I had to choose a guy to get it done when it needs getting done, he'd still be on my "A-list". He reminds me a lot of Terry Bradshaw. If you look in the NFL encyclopedia, Bradshaw doesn't turn up much in any of the critical "TopTen" categories, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better "money QB in the business.

I think Ben will be fine as soon as he knows what day it is.

-JP

I wouldn't put it all on his shoulders. Granted, he holds the ball too long many times, but that is what makes him hard to defend. The result is that teams spend a lot of time trying to contain him and tend to bring the house more often and in very creative ways and Ariens hasn't quite figured out how to protect against that.

Add to that the fact that because they're the champs, even teams like KC get "up" for the challenge and if Ben or the team as a whole take a team for granted, all of a sudden something like today happens.

Of course, allowing an opening kickoff to be returned for a TD doesn't help and that's about the fourth or fifth time that's happened to them this year and just like last week, if that doesn't happen, they likely win the game. So Special Teams is still an issue (and has been for way too long). Then of course there's the more simple explanation of just being in a slump, which happens to everyone at some point.

Is Ben overrated? Maybe a little, but if I had to choose a guy to get it done when it needs getting done, he'd still be on my "A-list". He reminds me a lot of Terry Bradshaw. If you look in the NFL encyclopedia, Bradshaw doesn't turn up much in any of the critical "TopTen" categories, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better "money QB in the business.

I think Ben will be fine as soon as he knows what day it is.

-JP

Yeah - I'm not sure I can talk my Dad off the ledge... He's pretty despondent!

Yeah - I'm not sure I can talk my Dad off the ledge... He's pretty despondent!

Been there dude!

Been there.

If you can scrounge up a copy of Super Bowl XLIII, try playing it where he can at least hear it and I'll bet that before long he'll come inside and begin to feel a little better.

Not much better, but at least he'll be safe and you can close the window.

-JP

Been there dude!

Been there.

If you can scrounge up a copy of Super Bowl XLIII, try playing it where he can at least hear it and I'll bet that before long he'll come inside and begin to feel a little better.

Not much better, but at least he'll be safe and you can close the window.

-JP

there's not much that gets him going but his Steelers are sacred!

there's not much that gets him going but his Steelers are sacred!

Believe me...I know the feeling.

There have been times in the past when after a loss like today's, I wouldn't talk to anyone for days and I felt as if someone had just shot my dog.

These days, I look at things a lot more philosophically, but it still hurts.

-JP

JSOnline reports Packers lose Al Harris and Aaron Kampman for the season to torn ACLs.

Bummer.

Kevin

I see Larry Johnson had 2 carries for 5 yards and a whopping 2.5 yard average today for the Bengals.

I see Larry Johnson had 2 carries for 5 yards and a whopping 2.5 yard average today for the Bengals.

Maybe he didn't like the locker they assigned to him.

-JP

Maybe he didn't like the locker they assigned to him.

-JP

Probably not. I think they will find that not much makes this guy happy.

The Cowboy / Redskin game had to be one of the ugliest games of the year. The Redskins actually outplayed Dallas in just about every aspect. But the kicker. Heck even Dallas kicker missed one.

Jon Gruden sucks.

that is all.

The Cowboy / Redskin game had to be one of the ugliest games of the year. The Redskins actually outplayed Dallas in just about every aspect. But the kicker. Heck even Dallas kicker missed one.

Don't get many of the Skins games here in Nebraska, so I was following it on ESPN Gamecast. Offense definitely left something to desired. The Skins have a hard enough time scoring, but when we're down to our 3rd string running back, it is never going to be good. Suisham always scares me on FG attempts, especially on anything further than 35. Too inconsistent.

Nothing more needed to be said.

Why does Gruden suck?

I mean, yes he's loud and talks as if he's taking amphetamines, but he knows his stuff and he has a wry sense of humor. Gruden is totally into the game and that's cool.

I like the Sunday night crew better (Michaels and Collinsworth) and I think a two-man crew is all that's needed.

If you want to really get rid of someone, get rid of Phil Simms. There aren't enough adjectives in the dictionary to describe how annoying HE is.

-JP

Gruden is lame in the booth, he is a 100% cheerleader for every single player & refuses to actually critique what's going on. Trying to be another Jaworski & one of those is more than enough.

Gruden is lame in the booth, he is a 100% cheerleader for every single player & refuses to actually critique what's going on. Trying to be another Jaworski & one of those is more than enough.

And the worst part is that he also sounds almost exactly like Jaworski.

And the worst part is that he also sounds almost exactly like Jaworski.

They are almost indistinguishable. Gruden's use of coach speak cliches like, "He is a great football player pain and simple," or "he can flat out play football", seems never ending. He does not do much analyzing, and since he does sound a lot like Jaws, I think Jaws's effectiveness is also diminished. I think Tirico and Jaws would do okay by themselves.

But give me some Verne Lundquist. I used to like Dick Stockton, too.

Kevin

Dan Fouts in the booth.

Chargers to represent the AFC in the super bowl.

Back