Photo Hosting and Sharing Sites

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Right now we use Smugmug for our hosting needs and it works quite well. They also host our video and HD video, however Smugmug is one of the more expensive alternatives out there. However they do everything we need but sometimes are not as easy to integrate into Wordpress and the Forum. (Hacker hates it)

Flickr is very popular and seems to also be able to do what we need. It is also a WHOLE LOT cheaper per year. They have tons of fun things to use to integrate Flickr into Wordpress and forums and it appears to have a lot. However Flickr does not have a self watermarking feature for mass quantities at once and it is very openly against people using Flickr for commercial use. While THP is not considered commercial because of no ads, our magazine could be and I am not sure it is worth the migration only to have an account get suspended.

Photobucket is a popular one, but the ads kill me and it does not seem to do everything we need. I could be wrong about that though.

What are you using? Why did you choose it? Complaints? Cost? Will it do what we need? What else is out there that we are missing?

I use Photobucket because it is free and easy to use. You can also edit and resize there if you didn't do it before you imported it. All I have ever done is crop and resize photos, I don't know how their editing (color, contrast, etc.) is. I figure if I ever fill it up, I can just open another account, but I am nowhere near close yet.

Right now we use Smugmug for our hosting needs and it works quite well. They also host our video and HD video, however Smugmug is one of the more expensive alternatives out there. However they do everything we need but sometimes are not as easy to integrate into Wordpress and the Forum. (Hacker hates it)
I wouldn't say I hate it as it seems to be the best quality video available for the web. It just takes a lot of coding to get it to integrate in to our software. I think I spent 6 or so hours coding the video tag!
I say to use flickr, but thats just because I work for yahoo which flickr is part of :)
So you're the guy I got to talk to after being on hold for 2 hours every time? :bad:

Smugmug is alot cheaper than hosting your own photos and video and incuring the bandwidth costs! At least you only have to program each feature once.

You could always use picasa. Pretty good integration via their api and you can watermark from the Picasa application before you upload your images. That would cover the image hosting then you could use viddler, vimeo, youtube, etc for the video hosting. Viddler has a pretty decent api for integration and you can brand it how you would like.

I thought I'd bump this thread since more people are selling and do not seem to know about photo hosting sites. They are free and make viewing the sale items that much easier. Please sign up and use it to up load pics.

Good point Freddie.

I don't know Freddie, I kind of like taking my time to embed ten photos for somebody!

Photobucket for me. Free and easy.

I use Tapatalk 2, I upload straight from my phone, it's a good option

Sent from my iPhone 5, using Tapatalk 2

Picture trail..

I thought I'd bump this thread since more people are selling and do not seem to know about photo hosting sites. They are free and make viewing the sale items that much easier. Please sign up and use it to up load pics.

Bump again.

Maybe this be a sticky

I've used Photobucket for quite some time, but have recently had trouble uploading, switched to Flickr for right now, but still investigating my other options.

I've been using Photobucket for a while. The App to download from my phone is super easy, but I too have been having some issues with them moving from Photobucket to here, and simple things like deleting old photos directly from their site. I'm not sure if it's my UI on my computer, or their site.

Imgur has been solid for me!

I've used Photobucket for quite some time, but have recently had trouble uploading, switched to Flickr for right now, but still investigating my other options.
Hey! Me too. Figured it was connection or something.
Always just stuck with it because I didn't want to have two different hosts and didn't want to break a hundred IMG links in the forum.

Imgur has been solid for me!

For storage I use an external HDD and Lyve. Lyve will automatically copy all of my photos from my phone to my external HDD as long as I keep the HDD plugged in, which I do about once a week.

For hosting I use either Picassa or imgur. For forums and similar I use imgur, because it works so very well. If I'm making albums I want to share I use Picassa because I can lock albums down from public view, but allow people to access the album directly.

+1 for Photobucket being crummy lately. I remember not liking Picasa in the past, but I'll take a look at imgur and maybe Picasa again.

Now ready to kick Photobucket to the curb, who have you all been using lately and which do you like and why?

Back