Official Rant of the Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just about the entire air traffic control system in the country crashed this morning.

At least you needed to use the words "control" and "system" in that sentence. Otherwise it would have been a lot worse.

At least you needed to use the words "control" and "system" in that sentence. Otherwise it would have been a lot worse.

Good point. We had yet to take off when it happened. At least it wasn't one of those trapped on the tarmac horror stories.

I've gotten 6 sales calls tonight. Even with caller ID - it's annoying.

I like the caller id on your TV. You don't have to look over to see who's calling.

I like the caller id on your TV. You don't have to look over to see who's calling.

Does that one talk? I had the talking one on my phone for a while, but it kept scaring me because I'd forget I had it and wonder who was talking.

My kids get a real kick out of that.

Is that available from Verizon's FIOS? I haven't seen that - if you're watching TV and the phone rings, you can see who's calling on the TV screen?

Does that one talk? I had the talking one on my phone for a while, but it kept scaring me because I'd forget I had it and wonder who was talking.

I don't think so; the kids have seen it, not I, and they would have mentioned it.

Is that available from Verizon's FIOS? I haven't seen that - if you're watching TV and the phone rings, you can see who's calling on the TV screen?

We get the Comcast triple play. My guess is you'd need cable and telephone from the same company for that feature to exist.

We get the Comcast triple play. My guess is you'd need cable and telephone from the same company for that feature to exist.

We have our FIOS TV service, telephone and internet access all through Verizon. I'll check their website to see if they offer that caller ID feature. Sounds neat.

Something like this is what ours looks like:

callid_ontv.gif

And it doesn't talk to you.

I dunno. Ours is through Time Warner Cable (we have the digital phone service).

DirecTV does that too. And I have regular phone service. (But you run the phone line into the DVR.)

Why is it that rangers always assume because we're women - we're slower than men? :banghead:

Why is it that rangers always assume because we're women - we're slower than men? :banghead:

I think they all take a secret oath.

What makes you think they are saying something to you because you are women?

What makes you think they are saying something to you because you are women?

Trust us, Harry--if there's a woman in the foursome, the ranger will ALWAYS swing by and tell us to pick up the pace. Even if we're already having to wait at every shot for the group in front.

I don't think it's mean spirited, so much as it is automatic. If not Pavlovian.

Trust us, Harry--if there's a woman in the foursome, the ranger will ALWAYS swing by and tell us to pick up the pace. Even if we're already having to wait at every shot for the group in front.

I don't think it's mean spirited, so much as it is automatic. If not Pavlovian.

But what makes you think it is because you are a woman?

I've learned how to deal with the rangers in a way that they just drive off confused and usually don't come back.

Because they never do it to the guys.

See, that's what I thought you would say. That, or "because we aren't behind."

But both of those things are good reasons, because:

They do say it to men. All the time. I've gotten it several times when I was in a foursome of all men and we were either waiting on a group in front of us already, or were not slow at all.

I think women assume they are being targeted because they are women. But I assure you that men (who are keeping up) get targeted as well. I think it comes down to lazy marshals. They don't want to take the time to figure out why there is really a backup.

I would have no problem with a marshal who came up to me and said "Hey, I'm about to head up in front of you and get the pace picked up. When I do, I'll need you guys to keep up. Sound ok?"

But they don't, they ALWAYS just say "you need to pick up the pace." Even when it is all guys and you can't tee off because there is a group 50 yards ahead of you, hitting their 3rd shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back