Windows 7 Upgrade Arrived: Do it now or Wait?

Windows 7 Upgrade Arrived: Do it now or Wait?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
My Windows 7 upgrade DVD arrived in the mail today.

I know the prudent thing to do is to wait for the SP1 update in 6 months or so, but what fun would that be?

So, should I throw caution to the wind and run the upgrade right now, or be a good boy and just put it away until it's been out longer and any problems have had time to be fleshed out?

I upgraded my laptop this week from Vista to Win7, no problems so far. It's just a kitchen/family room laptop though, used only for email/web. Did take some time to make sure I had all the necessary updated drivers and software from HP after the main install was done.

My home office work PC is still WinXP. The Win7 RC version has been through testing in a lot of hands for some time now (it was available to the general public months ago), so I'd hope they've already fixed any major issues that would have come up during that period. I'd say go for it, especially if you've been waiting for it.

I'm a firm believer in not being patient. Might as well go for it.

I voted for you to be patient. I would hate to see you switch back after having setting it all up.

I answered to do it now. Especially if you're already running Vista on your machine. Windows 7 (I ran the Beta and the RC for a while) is what Vista SHOULD have been when it came out, instead of the bloated version Vista turned out to be.

I am seeing mostly good reviews on Win 7....
I am planning on looking for a cheap upgrade on Black Friday....

Right before the upgrade, I am going to copy my C: partition to a backup drive....just in case....

I upgraded to Win XP from Vista. I figure Windows 7 has got to already be at least SP1, so GO FOR IT!

Actually, I like it. I've got it running at home as a VM under Mac OS. :smile-big:

My woman bought me a new puter for christmas that I can't get yet but its nice and good. I think its a Intel 8300 with 8 gb ram 1 tb hard drive and it has Windows 7 Home Edition on it. I can't wait to get it b/c I've been such a good little boy this year.

I voted to go for it. You know you will anyway. If it's a disaster, it just gives you material.

My Windows 7 upgrade DVD arrived in the mail today.

I know the prudent thing to do is to wait for the SP1 update in 6 months or so, but what fun would that be?

So, should I throw caution to the wind and run the upgrade right now, or be a good boy and just put it away until it's been out longer and any problems have had time to be fleshed out?

Though I've heard many good things about Windows 7, with Microsoft's track record, I think it would be prudent to burn your important files to disc first before you upgrade.

-JP

I will NEVER install a Windows OS until the first Service Pack comes out. I always let everyone else deal with the bugs that are going to be found in the new OS.

My vote was to not install it, but for me, it would be better if you did.

Do it! i've been running the release candidate for about 3 or 4 months now. Windows 7 rocks.

Okay, I installed it last night. I have no impulse control.

Upgrade went fine, but it did take a long time.

Windows 7 is definitely a little peppier. And I like the task bar a LOT more. Other than that, I haven't seen a whole lot of differences yet.

Any cool features I should check out?

Something weird I noticed while preparing to update: My old laptop had an 80GB hard drive and I had only used about half of that when it died. My new laptop has a 350GB hard drive and 190 GB of it is full. WTF????

Ok, the "Snipping Tool" is pretty cool. No more "print screen", open image editor, paste, crop, etc.

EDIT: And I'm not sure what "Math Input Panel" is yet, but I'm guessing it might make Claire wet herself.

Okay, I installed it last night. I have no impulse control.

Upgrade went fine, but it did take a long time.

Windows 7 is definitely a little peppier. And I like the task bar a LOT more. Other than that, I haven't seen a whole lot of differences yet.

Any cool features I should check out?

Something weird I noticed while preparing to update: My old laptop had an 80GB hard drive and I had only used about half of that when it died. My new laptop has a 350GB hard drive and 190 GB of it is full. WTF????

From what I have heard Harry if you have an HD camcorder that uses the AVCHD format you can stream with Windows 7 without any 3rd party conversion software. That makes this OS very attractive to me.

I'm a Windows guy, but I LOVE these commercials.

[YOUTUBE]BpOvzGiheOM [/YOUTUBE]

I try to not do anything to my computer myself because I often cause a chain reaction of bad events. I also lack the patience it entails.

Those commercials are great. I have both a mac and a pc. I upgraded to Windows 7 and you should too. Its much better then Vista.

Those commercials are great. I have both a mac and a pc. I upgraded to Windows 7 and you should too. Its much better then Vista.

I HATE Vista.

I never had Vista, I'm still on XP. I'll upgrade to Windows 7 whenever we buy new computers (by then SP2 will probably be out!). Then we'll use one XP box as a fileserver on our network.

Something weird I noticed while preparing to update: My old laptop had an 80GB hard drive and I had only used about half of that when it died. My new laptop has a 320GB hard drive and 190 GB of it is full. WTF????

I are a moran. I have 190 GB of free space (200 since I did some housecleaning). Still, a 320GB HDD with 287 available for use (really, 33GB just wasted on formatting and whatnot?). I never had more than 50GB used on my XP laptop, and that included the OS. Does Vista/7 really need that much space?

I just did a disk cleanup on my XP box and freed up 2 gigs on my Windows drive. That's more than usual, I guess I haven't done it for a while. (My Windows partition is 15 gigs so I gotta make sure I leave spare room on it.) If and when I do a fresh install I'll increase it to 20 but it's been good for over two years so far.

I just did a disk cleanup on my XP box and freed up 2 gigs on my Windows drive. That's more than usual, I guess I haven't done it for a while. (My Windows partition is 15 gigs so I gotta make sure I leave spare room on it.) If and when I do a fresh install I'll increase it to 20 but it's been good for over two years so far.

You know what Smallie, I bet some of that space I'm wondering about is dedicated to the backup and restore function.

System Restore does take up a lot. You can get rid of all but the last one,but I don't like to do that all the time.

System Restore does take up a lot. You can get rid of all but the last one,but I don't like to do that all the time.

I live on the edge...My Restore is turned off....
I just back up my personal files to my wifes machine and vica versa....

If one of them goes, I always have a backup....

I am seriously thinking of the Win7 upgrade though

Back