Other People's Bags

Diane

Reaction score
I found myself doing something today that I have never done. I was looking at other people's golf bags to see what clubs they were playing. Would I be correct in assuming that you all do this regularly? Do you ever comment on someone else's equipment? I didn't say anything - just looked. What have you guys done to me.

A persons golf bag tells alot about their personality. I like to see what they are playing, and how rich their bag is.

A persons golf bag tells alot about their personality. I like to see what they are playing, and how rich their bag is.

Just wondering,but Why does this matter?The cost on one's bag mean nothing.Some with a very expensive bag can't play with a lick.But, some with the cheapest bag are some of the best..So, how does the cost of one's bag mean anything?

Just wondering,but Why does this matter?The cost on one's bag mean nothing.Some with a very expensive bag can't play with a lick.But, some with the cheapest bag are some of the best..So, how does the cost of one's bag mean anything?

Just to admire.

Since I don't know a lot about equipment - I wouldn't know if someone spent a lot or not. I was looking today to see if anyone had clubs that I had read reviews on here.

I look at other peoples bags. My first guess depending on the clubs they have is always that they are pretty good golfers. I then let their game speak for themselves. I have to say I see a lot of "expensive" clubs being used by higher handicap golfers.

If someone looks at my bag, the bag itself will be more interesting than my clubs. All my clubs have generic head covers on them. Not that I am against advertising what clubs I use (all you need to do is ask) but, for security reasons against theft.

I once gave my son in law my wood covers from a well known brand. I had a set of generic "red" Wal-Mart specials on my woods. We were a bit lackadaisical at one point, and someone stole his $79 set of clubs, while leaving mine behind. Have to believe it was because of the head covers on his woods.

I always check them out - and I'll ask questions regarding their equipment (but never how much it cost).

Never took you for a Naughty By Nature fan Harry.

Spoiler

Silly me - of course you're down with OPP.

I look at what people have in their bags. I enjoy seeing what other people play, and I will talk to people about a club or clubs they have in it interests me or if I have the same thing.

There is a guy who frequents my home course who is the quintessential "club ho." He has new clubs everytime I see him, but it's fun for me, he lets me try anything I want. I mean this guy always has a huge wad of 50's and 100's with him. I've seen him walk in to the pro shop, pick up a $350+ driver, look at the price tag, loft, and flex, and walk up and buy it. The next day that driver is rarely in the bag still. Who knows where it goes.

I look at what people have in their bags. I enjoy seeing what other people play, and I will talk to people about a club or clubs they have in it interests me or if I have the same thing.

There is a guy who frequents my home course who is the quintessential "club ho." He has new clubs everytime I see him, but it's fun for me, he lets me try anything I want. I mean this guy always has a huge wad of 50's and 100's with him. I've seen him walk in to the pro shop, pick up a $350+ driver, look at the price tag, loft, and flex, and walk up and buy it. The next day that driver is rarely in the bag still. Who knows where it goes.

ScooterGuitar lives in Alaska?
:confused2:

I look at everyones clubs. I get teased alot because I play almost straight Taylormade but like I tell everyone. Taylormades stiff is different than Callaways. I just like playing a uniform set of clubs that all are made to match. It makes sense to me but I do look like a walking billboard for Taylormade. :D But I haven't found a company that makes clubs that I like more for my game.

I like looking at clubs. Mostly, I figured that if someone has a mixed bag, he or she has spent some time putting it together. It's always kind of sad when someone has really old, matched clubs.

It's always kind of sad when someone has really old, matched clubs.

I spend a lot of time on munis and I see a lot of older guys with old clubs because you know they can't afford new ones, but a lot of those old guys really still have game. I'd be thrilled if I could hit the ball that way - with any clubs.

I sometimes notice and comment. Last week I played through a group and notice a gentleman who had a set of Mizuno MX-200s. Naturally, I inquired as to how he liked them.
Im always curious as to whats out there and might be better for my game, so I find it interesting to talk to people about what clubs they are playing and how good/bad their experience with them has been.

The old adage still applies. It's not what you have, it's what you do with it.:wink:

I've seen a lot of players with all the gear and no idea!

I usually check out what's in the other players bags. It's always interesting to see what people play, and every now and then you'll see something that's a surprise. Like anytime I find someone with either Nickent irons or woods - the hybrids aren't as big a surprise. So far, I've run into 1 guy that carried a set of the older 3DX black cavity irons and one that had a Pipe putter.

Sometimes I'll ask what someone thinks of their clubs, depending on my mood. And you'll see some of the worst games around with brand new matched sets of Taylormade or Callaway clubs, and incredible games with ratty old clubs. Hell, two coworkers are both around 6-10 handicaps - one has an old worn out set of Titleist blades & Ping G2 woods, the other uses a set of knock-offs that are made by a guy he's known for years.

I usually check out what's in the other players bags. It's always interesting to see what people play, and every now and then you'll see something that's a surprise. Like anytime I find someone with either Nickent irons or woods - the hybrids aren't as big a surprise. So far, I've run into 1 guy that carried a set of the older 3DX black cavity irons and one that had a Pipe putter.

Sometimes I'll ask what someone thinks of their clubs, depending on my mood. And you'll see some of the worst games around with brand new matched sets of Taylormade or Callaway clubs, and incredible games with ratty old clubs. Hell, two coworkers are both around 6-10 handicaps - one has an old worn out set of Titleist blades & Ping G2 woods, the other uses a set of knock-offs that are made by a guy he's known for years.

Clubs don't make the player but I sure do like having some nice clubs to look at. They feel better and allow me to play with more confidence. I know what you mean about older guys and crappy clubs. We have some seniors at the Country Club who play Wal-Mart clubs but have single digit handicaps. I just like having nice golf clubs but I in no way think they make me better. You still have to swing them.

Clubs don't make the player but I sure do like having some nice clubs to look at. They feel better and allow me to play with more confidence. I know what you mean about older guys and crappy clubs. We have some seniors at the Country Club who play Wal-Mart clubs but have single digit handicaps. I just like having nice golf clubs but I in no way think they make me better. You still have to swing them.

Agreed, I like my gear to look good. And mine is definitely better than the scores I post with it lol!

I never really notice what's in person's bag until he hit's a great shot. We had a couple guy's play through us a while back and both just smoked their drives out there. They also carried themselves like this was not their first rodeo. I immediatly looked over to their bags to see what they were playing, lol. I remember one of them had the Victory red blades because I asked him about them.

What's funny is when someone asks me what irons I play. No one seems to know what Lynx Irons are, hehe.

I never really notice what's in person's bag until he hit's a great shot. We had a couple guy's play through us a while back and both just smoked their drives out there. They also carried themselves like this was not their first rodeo. I immediatly looked over to their bags to see what they were playing, lol. I remember one of them had the Victory red blades because I asked him about them.

What's funny is when someone asks me what irons I play. No one seems to know what Lynx Irons are, hehe.

I remember Fred Couples owned Lynx about 10 years ago. Are Lynx still made?

I don't think so, in fact I knew Fred played them but not that he owned them. They really play great for me, but after about 20 years it's time to move on, lol. I mentioned Fred Couples to a guy this year that asked about the clubs and he had no clue who that was, hehe

Back