2009 Frys.com Open [spoilers]

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
Fred Couples shot a 3-under 67 today in the first round and is currently T8.

Lots a players still haven't teed off yet though, including Justin Leonard, Jamie Lovemark, and Rickie Fowler.

Paul Goydos 4-under 66, T2. Go Sunshine!

Me likey Freddie and Paul on the leader board.....

Rickie Fowler may have the lead by the end of the second round.

He and Justin Leonard are both making charges today and caught Nick O'Hern at -9. Fowler is -4 through 11 and Leonard is -5 through 15.

Was listening to the PGA Channel on XM Radio (via the PGATour website) and they said that Justin Leonard (now in solo 1st at -10; -6 through 17) birdied every par 3 today.

Harry, you're talking to yourself.

Again.

I'm glad to see Rickie Fowler playing well again, definitely pulling for him to win.

Troy Matteson had the overnight lead at -16 after rounds of 72/61/61. The back-to-back 61s are a PGA record.

Matteson is 2-under through 5 holes today and sits in first at -18.

But Rickie Fowler came out firing. He is 5-under through 6 holes and in solo second.

Jamie Lovemark is also making a run. He is 2-under through 5 holes and sits at -14 in solo fourth.

Playoff starting right now between Fowler, Lovemark, and Matteson!

On the first playoff hole, Jamie Lovemark put his ball in the water . . . AND IT JUMPED BACK OUT!!!!

That has to be the most amazing thing I've ever seen. I'm not talking about skipping across the water . . . I mean, this ball came straight down into the water and then popped back out about a foot in the air and in the correct direction to land on the rough around the green and stayed even though it was on a slope!

. . . and he makes his par to stay in the playoff with Fowler and Matteson!

My mother just called to tell me about that shot and ask why I wasn't watching. She also said 4 guys got holes-in-one between yesterday and today. Oh and something about a bunch of eagles.

Oh and something about a bunch of eagles.

Yeah, a flock of eagles attacked a caddie on the 14th hole. I guess he got too close to a nest or something because they picked him apart. Ambulance and everything. It was pretty gory.

Yeah, a flock of eagles attacked a caddie on the 14th hole. I guess he got too close to a nest or something because they picked him apart. Ambulance and everything. It was pretty gory.

Harry - Have you been drinking?

I'm sure my mother had a cocktail, but that was hours ago and she only mentioned a bunch of players getting eagles in addition to the aces.

Oh that. Yes, lots of players making eagle.

That was a pretty good tournament! I watched Fowler while here in Vegas and then on TV this week and that kid can flat play! How many wedge shots did he put right next to pin? I counted at least 10 over the course of the tourney that ended up within a foot of the pin. And he makes it look so effortless. I definitely like his pace of play. His caddie and him talk it over walking up to the ball, they get their yardage, they discuss it for about 10-15 more seconds, he grabs his club, takes 1 practice swing, sets up, looks at the hole and hits. I bet he doesn't take more than 30-60 sec for each shot.

And he's only listed as weighing 130 lbs!!, lol, my leg weighs more than that (not really ;-). It was noticeable when he was standing next to the other two players in the playoff, that they were a 'full head' higher than he.

That was a pretty good tournament! I watched Fowler while here in Vegas and then on TV this week and that kid can flat play! How many wedge shots did he put right next to pin? I counted at least 10 over the course of the tourney that ended up within a foot of the pin. And he makes it look so effortless. I definitely like his pace of play. His caddie and him talk it over walking up to the ball, they get their yardage, they discuss it for about 10-15 more seconds, he grabs his club, takes 1 practice swing, sets up, looks at the hole and hits. I bet he doesn't take more than 30-60 sec for each shot.

Here is the shot by Jamie Lovemark that jumped out of the water. If the size is too small here, you may want to go to youtube directly and watch it in the large player.

[YOUTUBE]cXlfqAC_zpQ[/YOUTUBE]

This was an exciting tournament to watch during the fall series. Without having the "big guns" of the PGA involved, it was nice to watch some of the younger, future stars battle it out. I've been extremely impressed with Fowler over the last two weeks, and look forward to his performance this week at Viking. Matteson's was in the zone on Friday and Saturday posting back to back 61's.

This was an exciting tournament to watch during the fall series. Without having the "big guns" of the PGA involved, it was nice to watch some of the younger, future stars battle it out. I've been extremely impressed with Fowler over the last two weeks, and look forward to his performance this week at Viking. Matteson's was in the zone on Friday and Saturday posting back to back 61's.

It is refreshing to watch a tournament and not have to listen to Johnny Miller or the endless dribble about Tiger this and Tiger that. JM has to be the biggest Tiger lover, as even when Tiger isn't in a tournament we have to hear the endless commentary on Tiger from him. We all know Tiger is a great player, but I think the media/TV do such a disservice to the other non-elite players on the tour. So I actually enjoy watching these fall series events and the events without the "big guns" in them. Matteson has actually had 2 great weeks in a row as he was in contention in Vegas also.

Back