The Official 2009 NFL Thread

Is there anything that gets you more ready for a sporting event than the Hank Williams Monday Night Football song? Im not a fan of his at all, in fact I would not know a single other song he did in most cases, but this is just part of football!!!!

I remember when it first started and it was great. Now, I think it is kind of played out for me. I don't even bother watching it. I have nothing against Hank or the song, it has just been going on for so many years (15+??), I have tired of it. I can do without the Sunday NBC song also. Just start the game already.

IMO, his best song:

[YOUTUBE]I4s0nzsU1Wg [/YOUTUBE]

He was one of my favorite artists in the early to mid '80s, but he should have retired sometime in the '90s.

I remember when it first started and it was great. Now, I think it is kind of played out for me. I don't even bother watching it. I have nothing against Hank or the song, it has just been going on for so many years (15+??), I have tired of it. I can do without the Sunday NBC song also. Just start the game already.

Agree with you on that. The 'Sunday night girl singer version copy cat country song imitating the Monday Night Football Hank Williams Jr. song' is annoying, I mean come on, do something original.

While I agree about the Sunday night girl version of MNF's song, Sunday night football has replaced MNF as the premier game every week. EPSN has ruined what used to be a great showcase for NFL football on Monday nights. And I don't mean that some of the games arent good as most of them have been very good. Its just not what it used to be.

I don't really have any favorite NFL team. I tend to root for the teams of my favorite players. I like Tom Brady so I root for the Patriots. My Dad was from Pittsburgh and brought me up as a Steeler fan so I always root for them as well.

One of my new favorites for the time being is Denver. After all the off season turmoil this team had, there is no one that thought this team would win 6 games all year, let alone their first 6. I don't know what he said or did to get them to play this good, but I am officially a Josh McDaniels fan. I loved that he got rid of Cutler and said we can win without him. Brandon Marshall, you don't want to play? Okay we can win without you. We want you to play for us, if you don't, fine, you can sit out we will do it without you.

His training camp speech had to have been something along the lines of "I need 53 guys to play football. If you give me everything you have, we will win. If you don't want to play for this team, just leave and we will find someone who does."

I don't know if it will continue or not. Some coaches just have 'it'. Maybe he is one of those guys.

The Chiefs AND the Raiders win on the same day. Who would have thought?

I don't really have any favorite NFL team. I tend to root for the teams of my favorite players. I like Tom Brady so I root for the Patriots. My Dad was from Pittsburgh and brought me up as a Steeler fan so I always root for them as well.

One of my new favorites for the time being is Denver. After all the off season turmoil this team had, there is no one that thought this team would win 6 games all year, let alone their first 6. I don't know what he said or did to get them to play this good, but I am officially a Josh McDaniels fan. I loved that he got rid of Cutler and said we can win without him. Brandon Marshall, you don't want to play? Okay we can win without you. We want you to play for us, if you don't, fine, you can sit out we will do it without you.

His training camp speech had to have been something along the lines of "I need 53 guys to play football. If you give me everything you have, we will win. If you don't want to play for this team, just leave and we will find someone who does."

I don't know if it will continue or not. Some coaches just have 'it'. Maybe he is one of those guys.

I'm lucky enough to being able to witness this 'type' of coaching/management up here in New England...It started with Parcells and now Belichick...Trust me, it was proven to us up here during Pete Carroll's reign that as a fan you want the "we're doing it this way and if you don't like it, tough, you can leave" type of coaching...you see it with the Pats, Steelers, Giants, and now Broncos and it's good to see (coaches from Parcells tree Belichick/Coughlin and McDaniels from Belichick and Tomlin from Cowher)...not that these teams will win the Super Bowl every year or don't have personnel issues also, they just seem to take care of these things better than anyone else and don't let the players dictate how things are run...Amazing what winning and being competitive every week will do for your attitude (Brandon Marshall)

I like that style but for every Josh McDaniels, there is also a Mangini, Romeo, etc...

I like that style but for every Josh McDaniels, there is also a Mangini, Romeo, etc...

absolutely...Mangini is the type that thinks he knows better than anyone else probably even while he was in NE...he's been in Cleveland for 6-8 mos. and he's already lost the team and changed QB's after only 2 weeks (doesn't that prove that he wasn't able to evaluate his QB's in the first place, he went against his own decision)...Romeo, I wish went to better organization than Clevland (i.e. a Miami situation with Parcells)...not saying it would have been different but Cleveland's ownership/management is almost as bad as Wash.

Then you have the puzzled cupcake of a look from Wade Phillips! He's the best bye week coach in the NFL!

Then you have the puzzled cupcake of a look from Wade Phillips! He's the best bye week coach in the NFL!

Wade "Clampitt" you mean, it is like having one of the Beverly Hillbillies running your football team. What the successful coaches have most in common is the ability to recognize talent and to adapt their system to make the best use of that talent, as well as to be able to convince the players to buy into their system. Dallas, like Oakland, will not have a good football team again any time in the near future, both have serious ownership problems and as long as Jones is in Dallas and Al Davis is doing his crazy stuff in Oakland both are going to be marginal teams at best.

Wade "Clampitt" you mean, it is like having one of the Beverly Hillbillies running your football team. What the successful coaches have most in common is the ability to recognize talent and to adapt their system to make the best use of that talent, as well as to be able to convince the players to buy into their system. Dallas, like Oakland, will not have a good football team again any time in the near future, both have serious ownership problems and as long as Jones is in Dallas and Al Davis is doing his crazy stuff in Oakland both are going to be marginal teams at best.

Ownership is definitely the problem in those 2 places plus some others (Washington, Cleveland)...It almost prohibits the team from being consistently competitive when these owners are overly involved (play calling, personnel decisions, releasing injury info on his radio program (Jerry Jones))...I believe it leads to hiring head coaches who are not well established and/or respected who the owner feels superior to in football decisions...look no further than Al Davis, Jerry Jones, and Daniel Snyder (or at least his puppet Vinny Cerrato)...Jones tried to do it the right way with Parcells but he just couldn't help himself after a couple of years and saddled Parcells with headcase Terrell Owens and therefore Parcells left the next year...Bob Kraft has been quoted that, although not entirely his fault, he learned a great deal from his falling out with Parcells and hiring of Pete Carroll as far as being a little too involved with football decisions and to his credit has let the Belichick/Pioli regime do their thing

I agree 100%! Just as Parcells once said "You are what your record says you are." Look at the records of Dallas and Oakland the last decade and it speaks for itself. I think its often mistaken that a owner that spends money is a good owner. Jerry has proven that wrong time after time. A good owner is one that OWNS and doesnt try to coach and GM at the same time.

Who owned the Cowboys during their reign at the top?

Who owned the Cowboys during their reign at the top?

Well Im not sure who the owner was before Jerry. But Jerry bought the team and move number was one was to fire the only coach the Cowboys ever had, the late Tom Landry. Landry walked on water in Dallas. He could do no wrong. I have family members and friends that to this day have a very strong hate for Jerry just for firing Landry. The three Super Bowls in the 90's Jerry was the owner and got lucky by hiring Jimmy Johnson and having Aikman, who was drafted by Landry.

Jones was the owner in Dallas during their run in the 90's which is what I meant. He was the one that hired Johnson (who by the way failed elsewhere, so it was not just him) and Jones is involved with drafting, so it was not just having Aikman. Their offensive line was amazing during that time.

Why did they not go with Orange Crush throwbacks?

The point was that the old striped socks uniform were being worn specifically for the game with the Patriots in remembrance that they were the 2 teams that played the first ever AFL game in 1960. Both teams wore uniforms that were at least close to what they wore in that first game.

Kevin™;150362 said:

He had that look patented already when he was "guiding" the Broncos before Mike Shanahan took over. Bowlen gave him his first failed chance at being a head coach. He was terrible then and he's still terrible now. He just isn't head coach material.

Jones was the owner in Dallas during their run in the 90's which is what I meant. He was the one that hired Johnson (who by the way failed elsewhere, so it was not just him) and Jones is involved with drafting, so it was not just having Aikman. Their offensive line was amazing during that time.

Man JB you had to do that while I was driving home in traffic...:angry:
While you are right, yes, I wonder back then just how much say Jerry had. Everyone that knows anything about a great football team knows that it starts with a great line. Jerry and Jimmy got a divorce because of neither wanted to give in to the other. Jerry took over all decisions to prove Jimmy wrong. The Cowboys have been a mess ever since. We had a little help from Parcels but he eventually grew tired of it all too.

I agree that Jones is tough as an owner, because he likes control. However compare him and the time he puts in and the talent he has drafted (not all good) and it is hard to compare him to Davis and Snyder. Fans have short memories and it was not too long ago that he was considered the best owner in football.

Jones has mellowed somewhat and he has given up some control compared to what he used to do (or he has learned to keep the feuds "in-house").

His biggest flaw, however, is hiring coaches. The Cowboys have always flourished with a disciplinarian as head coach - Landry, Johnson, Parcels. Every time Jones went and hired some coach who fancied himself a friend of the players (Switzer, Galy, Campo, Phillips), the team performed fine for the first year after the disciplinarian (i.e., Switzer, Phillips), but then went into the crapper.

The talent is on the team. It just needs to be harnessed. Here's hoping Bill Cowher gets hired.

I agree with almost everything you said Harry, except that I do not agree that the talent is on the team. Decent above average talent yes, championship talent no.

One more thing I should bring up. One thing I hate about Jerry Jones is he is one of the few owners trying everything to get rid of the salary cap. The same cap that has made the NFL what it is.

Jerry is always trying to find ways to beat the system and make it better for him. I was listening to the NFL channel on Sirius like I always do (channel 124 great stuff) and they pointed out that if you look at the successful teams right now they all have a few things in common. Good lines, good QB play, etc, but the big thing was the owner and GM thing. The best teams have a good GM in place that has the power he needs to build a team. I dont think Jerry will EVER admit he's not the best judge of talent and hire a GM. Jerry didnt want to get rid of TOverated but Steven Jones insisted and talked him into it.

Back