Yeah. She's (Clijsters) really playing well. Wozniacki will really have her work cut out.

I will be supporting Wozniacki in the final:D
I always root against the Williams sisters.

What is it about them? Everybody always wants to see them beat, lol

Serena was completely out of line, deserved the penalty regardless of whether she did actually foot fault or not. It was just unfortunate that it was on match point.

Clijsters was playing an unbelievable match and would have won anyway most likely, however I feel bad for her that that is how she got the win.

Come on guys with the is Serena a woman talk, really?

I actually like the Williams sisters because they are the best in the sport over the past few years. You can feel their passion for winning and I like that. I am also glad to see Clijsters back, she was one of my favorites and I like that she will be able to challenge the sisters.

Nadal got smoked.

I went today - watching Nadal was painful. He didn't look like he was in pain, but what on earth was going on there. Juan Martin del Potro played well, but I doubt he would have beaten him if Nadal played like he had in previous matches. The entire stadium was bored. The Federer/Djokovic match was the exact opposite. Djokovic was playing great tennis and kept his sense of humor the entire time - it's just not enough when Federer is playing the way he is. The crowd was going wild - finally a good match. I love going to the US Open - nothing beats a NY crowd and the food there is great.

Serena deserves any and all adversity. I'm glad she is the butt of jokes. Throughout her career, and particularly in recent seasons, she refuses to give any credit to players who beat her. It's always a whine about luck. It reached all time pathetic absurdity a couple of years ago when Justine Henin knocked her out of 3 straight slams in the quarterfinals. According to Serena, Henin never played one successful shot that wasn't pure good fortune.

Last night in her press conference she tried to cover her typical tendency by praising Cliijsters but the telling moment was when she was asked about an apology to the lineswoman. Serena looked stunned at the suggestion. She said (paraphrased), "Linesmen are yelled at all the time. This was no different."

Last edited:
BTW, fantastic between the legs passing shot by Federer tonight, one point before he wrapped it up against Djokovic. I'm sure it will be a hit on YouTube.

I'm not condoning Serena's actions, but when have you ever seen a linesman call a foot fault at that point in a major? Serena was already angry and acted badly, but come on - what was the linesman thinking. BTW - Did you notice how many calls on Djokovic were wrong today and they were always with the same line judges.

The call made know difference Diane. She already lost it from being outclassed and outplayed by Kim. She got warned for busting her racket and this is just typical. She never wants to give anybody anything and its about time that it is all on her.

This has been a long time coming for true tennis fans that have grown tired of her egotisitical act a long time ago. She is the Christie Kerr of tennis.

............ She is the Christie Kerr of tennis.

Nice comparison....I agree 100%...
As far as the line judge making the call...She called it like she saw it..(even though it may have been wrong)

The point it was called on should make no difference in the match...First point or, in this case, last...

Great to see Kim Clijsters back in tennis and back as the US Open Champion!! Great match and amazing run for Clijsters.

Wozniacki is so sweet and was very gracious after the match. Very impressive, we will see her winning a major soon.

Oh my gosh, her daughter was so cute too! She ran out onto the court to see her mom with the trophy and posed for some pictures. Before that, she was very excited to see herself on the big screen!

us_open_2009_photos_kim_clijsters_family_brian_lyn.jpg

That was a very high quality women's final. Exchanges of hard groundstrokes throughout. Long rallies. Normally with so many service breaks it means poor tennis, but not this time. The wind was a factor.

Amazing stat: 14th consecutive US Open women's final to end in straight sets.

Well, Chris Fowler said that, anyway. I didn't look it up to verify.

Congrats to Kim Clijsters. In the first set I was worried she'd slip to her early career tendency of blowing grand slam finals when she was heavy favorite. In those years she'd slump and press when behind in the final, but not tonight when she twice was down a break late in the first set. She hit out and was rewarded.

Wozniacki is a babe. She reminds me a little bit of Brittany Lincicome.

Make sure you read the update at the bottom. Some never learn.
'How to (finally) apologize' by Serena Williams - Busted Racquet - TEN - Yahoo! Sports

It took 36 hours, one press conference, two statements and an appearance at the MTV Video Music Awards, but Serena Williams finally issued a legitimate apology for her tirade in a U.S. Open semifinal match.

Yesterday Serena issued a statement through the USTA that was striking in its stubborness and lack of contrition. Today, before she and her sister Venus were to play in the womens' doubles finals, Serena released a new, real apology:

"I want to amend my press statement of yesterday, and want to make it clear as possible - I want to sincerely apologize FIRST to the lines woman, Kim Clijsters, the USTA and mostly tennis fans everywhere for my inappropriate outburst. I'm a woman of great pride, faith and integrity, and I admit when I'm wrong. I need to make it clear to all young people that I handled myself inappropriately and it's not the way to act -- win or lose, good call or bad call in any sport, in any manner.

I like to lead by example. We all learn from experiences both good and bad, I will learn and grow from this, and be a better person as a result."

That's better. That's the statement Serena should have released yesterday.

Whether she means it or not is irrelevent at this point. It had to be said, if only to appease the masses and stop the hail of criticism being lobbed at her.

For what it's worth, the odds are that Serena doesn't mean it. It's more likely someone (either her handlers, sponsors or USTA bigwigs) got to her and let her know that a sincere-sounding apology was necessary to stem the backlash.

Serena has been defiant about the incident since it happened, even joking about it last night at the MTV Video Music Awards. It certainly doesn't seem like she's sorry for it. Rather, all of her actions and statements indicate that Serena still thinks this is about the atrocious foot fault call instead of her tirade.

Whatever she thinks (and only she can know that), at least Serena had the sense to finally issue a "real" apology. That's a start.

Update: And we're back to square one. After Serena and Venus won the U.S. Open women's doubles title Monday, Serena passed up a chance to apologize in person for Saturday night. Instead she babbled the same nonsense about loving her fans for "understanding".

Did anyone watch the men's final? What a great match. Juan Martin del Potro was amazing.

I watched the last three sets while I was working from home today Diane. It was an amazing match. I thought del Potro was tiring after the 4th set and would give in, but he just slowed down his serve a bit and kept up that great forehand. I don't watch much tennis, but I was impressed by both men's level of skill and endurance.

I am shocked beyond belief that Federer lost last night. Up a set and a break that should have been a straight set win for him, his 41st consecutive US Open win and his 6th consecutive US Open title. Lets not forget that del Potro also beat Nadal. Well done.

Back