Over the top swing: possible causes

majBC

Reaction score
I noticed as I was playing golf with a buddy of mine today that he was coming over the top. He plays a power fade and has a swing speed of 110. What I noticed was that the light clubs and more upright lies might make it easier to swing over the top. I know this is one of the biggest flaws in golf so I am not blaming the equipment with all of it just makes it easier.

What do you think any validity in this theory?

Last edited:
I can't think of any reason to attribute a swing flaw to any feature of the club. Whether that be overall weight, swing weight, lie angle, or any other feature you can think of. I believe you're observing correlation, not causation. Your buddy happens to have some Over-the-top action, and also plays an upright and light club.

I won't say there is no correlation between light weight clubs but the OTT move is a swing element. It can be used as a flaw (most amateur golfers) or as a positive like Cory Pavin. I think most would enjoy golf more of they just embraced it and grooved it

Its a body motion, that I do not believe is attributed to lighter golf clubs. In fact I would go as far as saying there is no correlation.

I noticed as I was playing golf with a buddy of mine today that he was coming over the top. He plays a power fade and has a swing speed of 110. What I noticed was that tbe light clubs and more upright lies might make it easier to swing over the top. I know this is one of the biggest flaws in golf so I am not blaming the equipment with all of it just makes it easier.

What do you think any validity in this theory?

I used to have this problem and for me being the lefty it would be one of two things or maybe even both.
1. Over rotation in the hips
2. I don't know How well I will describe this but on the down swing if you pull the club with your front shoulder you will come over top
that is all I really know on it though

It just seems like to me that if a club is lighter it makes it easier for one to start the downswing with the hands and arms, that is what I was seeing today. Just an observation. I'm not saying it causes the OTT just tends to exacerbate the situation.

It just seems like to me that if a club is lighter it makes it easier for one to start the downswing with the hands and arms, that is what I was seeing today. Just an observation. I'm not saying it causes the OTT just tends to exacerbate the situation.

Wouldnt that be the same thing as saying that if a club is heavier, gravity would cause you to start the downswing with the hands and arms?

As a guy who has a massive Ott move for a while, I can't see any correlation, and certainly don't see how lie angle would affect swing path.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Possibly JB, but honestly I feel it is the opposite. I think a club that is the correct weight for someone (and I would say heavier than most clubs today) would help keep you on plane. I know that for me it works that way.

As a guy who has a massive Ott move for a while, I can't see any correlation, and certainly don't see how lie angle would affect swing path.

Agreed. As you know I spend a lot of time studying this stuff and for the last 5 years working with a lot of people a heck of a lot smarter than me, and I just don't see it.

I have a friend who does fitting and he says that one of the things that seems to help most golfer with an OTT is one of three factors 1) more total weight in the club 2) heavier swing weight 3) higher balance point with counterweighting. He told me that he sees this because it results in more center hits on the clubface but that he couldn't say why it worked or which one would work, he just had to use trial and error.

Wake I'm not totally sure either, but it seems like if your hands are lower it would be more difficult to come over the top. It just seems like it would make sense to me, but that doesn't mean it is correct.

Just as a side note I tend to have a miss left (hook) but when I have my hands lower at address it straightens my ball flight out. I think for me it keeps the club head outside my hands during the backswing, not sure though. All have told me that lower hands at address should encourage a hook or draw.

I agree with you Wake, I have been struggling with the OTT move for a long time and finally with the help of GolfTEC its starting to go away...I haven't hit a slice in a long time (knock on wood)...but I dont think it has anything to do with equipment at all.

But what are you doing differently so you don't hit a slice TBT?
Im sure its not the equipment since you probably haven't changed equipment since taking lessons, but what part of the lessons do you attribute to getting rid of your slice?

Just curious.

JB this made me think of something else which I think we can both agree on. I think you use a 44" driver and I would say that I think most people play a driver too long for them. I am all for getting fit for driver length and by all means I say play as long as one can control. My point is did you think a shorter driver would make as much difference as it has for you. I also prefer shorter shafted clubs but like them a little heavier than standard, at least I used to. Just curious on your take on the shorter shaft and center hits versus a little heavier club and center hits. Couldn't it be that both factors lead to better center contact.

Last edited:
This is generally not an issue for me. I usually come to far from the inside and hook the ball. However sometimes I will fight OTT and it is always due to starting the downswing with my arms instead of with my pivot.

It was not about picking a shorter shaft just for the accuracy. I went through a fitting process. Despite what many believe, I am not of the belief that shorter driver automatically means more accuracy.

For me Ott swings come from two things.

Starting my downswing with my upper body.

Early release (casting) the club.

Equipment weight or lie angle have nothing to do with it.

But you did get your driver re-weighted correct?
If weight were not an issue I wouldn't think you would have needed to get it re- weighted, just a thought.

blugold have you ever tried to cast or swing over the top with a really heavy club?

But you did get your driver re-weighted correct?
If weight were not an issue I wouldn't think you would have needed to get it re- weighted, just a thought.

Nope..

JB So your driver swingweight is probably about a C2 right now?

blugold have you ever tried to cast or swing over the top with a really heavy club?

Yup. I tested the Boccieri heavy wood last year. It is possible. Also, heavy clubs are a little easier to take back flatter. Which isn't any better.

Chalk me up as another person who fights an OTT move with there being no correlation to club weight. I could swing a shovel and still come OTT by spinning out with my shoulders versus starting the downswing from the ground up. Club weight and lie angle did not have any impact on my OTT move.

Not sure if you were one of the testers who was praising the boccieri heavy club last year about the straighter ball flight and I think most mainly talked about center contact with the heavy club. Just what I remember, I could be wrong. I was really talking about a club even heavier than that. Have you hit the momentus heavy practice clubs, they come in driver and iron clubs good practice clubs and you can hit balls with them.

Last edited:
Back