Johneli

Reaction score
Handicap
Always picked my iron shots clean. Now, with these new Burner Irons I find that they fly much better if I can hit down into the ball and leave a 4" swathe in front of where the ball stood. Trouble is I can't seem to catch on how to do it consistently. Maybe one out of four. Are there any drills (Ive tried the one where you put a tee in the ground 4" in front of the ball and look at the tee while striking the ball.) That didn't work for me. Are there any other useful drills that would compel someone to be able to take that nice chunk of turf AFTER THE SHOT?

PS. Also tried playing it back in my stance but the shots would come out too low and tailing.

Try placing a golf ball six inches in front of the ball and trying to hit that ball. I've had moderate success with it, only problem is sometimes you'll lose two range balls.. :) I'm using the burners as well, if you figure out the proper drill, I'd love to hear about it.

This is a great question. Playing the ball back will force a downward strike but you are right control becomes an issue. The goal hear is to have the hands out infront of the club head at impact. The tee drill for this one is to put a tee in the ground 4-6 inches to the side opposite of where you stand to mark the center of the ball (this is just a referance point for you). Use this to check where the club is making contact with the ground. It should be all infront or on the target side of the tee. Slow motion drills to ingrain the position of the hands at impact will help you develop the feel we are looking for.

Take some swings in slow motion and I want you to stop at your impact position. I want the hands infront of the clubhead. Work yourself into a position like that. It should feel like a big forward press with the hands. Work through that for a while until the position starts to feel more natural. Then it is time to see if we can duplicate it on the range. I hope that make sense and let me know how it goes.

Try placing a golf ball six inches in front of the ball and trying to hit that ball. I've had moderate success with it, only problem is sometimes you'll lose two range balls.. :) I'm using the burners as well, if you figure out the proper drill, I'd love to hear about it.

Believe me I'm prsistent and will find a drill for that. It's taken me 5 months to build a really good swing trying everything that's ever been tried in a golf swing. I'm not going to let a little 4" chunk of turf get in the way. I'll let you know what I find.

I've read Bobby Clampetts book called "Impact Zone" where he places a great deal of emphasis on what he calls "moving your swing bottom forward.) But he uses the tee in the ground method and while I'm lookin at that second tee......I'm busy mis-hitting the heck out of the primary ball! So, the search goes on.

Very tough thing to accomplish after years of pickin clean.

Back