Going to first lesson.....

clg82

Banned
Reaction score
Well I finally met up with my wife's boss's teacher. He has taught his son to be an incredible golfer and he's only 11 or 12 maybe. Anyways what should I expect from my first lesson? What should I ask/be watching for? Any ideas would help....I'm paying $40.00 an hour.....how is that price range? Thanks for any help~Chris

$40 an hour is a great price for lessons. Is he a PGA pro?

About the lesson, just ask questions. The biggest one should be "Why?". It is not to question what he knows, but so you know the reason for changing something. It will help you understand why you need to change and how it will help you. If he does something that helps you eliminate a slice and you know what was changed and why it worked, then if that slice reappears, you will know what you are doing wrong and how to fix it on your own.

And don't expect to get better overnight. It will take some time. The old saying is you will get worse before you get better.

clg-

My feeling is that a good instructor will guide you instead of the other way around. He/she will be able to look at your swing and ballflight and will know where to begin.

The only question you should probably be prepared to answer is "Why are you here?" aka "What do you feel like you need to improve?" If you are new, just say so. Tell the instructor that you need to build a good swing. Otherwise, the instructor is looking for an answer like "full swing", "short game", "bunker play", "putting", etc.

For advice, I would urge you to be patient and stick with the advice. You will get worse before you get better. Also, give the instructor more than one chance - unless you hate him/her, take at least 3 lessons before deciding it's not right for you. If you do like him/her after those three lessons, take regular lessons at whatever intervals you can afford/fit into your schedule. Even after learning something good for your swing, it can (and will) deteriorate after time. It's all about maintenance and improvement. Remember, even Tiger Woods still gets regular lessons.

clg-

My feeling is that a good instructor will guide you instead of the other way around. He/she will be able to look at your swing and ballflight and will know where to begin.

The only question you should probably be prepared to answer is "Why are you here?" aka "What do you feel like you need to improve?" If you are new, just say so. Tell the instructor that you need to build a good swing. Otherwise, the instructor is looking for an answer like "full swing", "short game", "bunker play", "putting", etc.

For advice, I would urge you to be patient and stick with the advice. You will get worse before you get better. Also, give the instructor more than one chance - unless you hate him/her, take at least 3 lessons before deciding it's not right for you. If you do like him/her after those three lessons, take regular lessons at whatever intervals you can afford/fit into your schedule. Even after learning something good for your swing, it can (and will) deteriorate after time. It's all about maintenance and improvement. Remember, even Tiger Woods still gets regular lessons.

It's funny you say that because those are the exact words he asked me after I approached him on the practice green near the club house.....he is a younger kid about my age so I am not sure what age he is. or if he is a pro or not.

How long do you guys suggest i ask him for the first lesson. Half an hours? Hour? Two maybe?........

Soak it all in. You'll have to let go of some those bad habits and really start with a new outlook. From what I've heard, that's why most think adults are harder to "train" than kids. That's my philosophy anyways.

How long do you guys suggest i ask him for the first lesson. Half an hours? Hour? Two maybe?........

I would do an hour for the first lesson.

If you do an hour, you'll be surprised at how fast it goes!

If you do an hour, you'll be surprised at how fast it goes!

That's true and the first few lessons, you will definitely want more time. The best thing I ever did was go to golf school one weekend. We had 5 hours of lessons in the morning and played 18 in the afternoon. I was ready to pass out at the end of each day, but it was a lot of fun.

he is a younger kid about my age so I am not sure what age he is. or if he is a pro or not.

Hey, Kenny Perry's coach is, like, 20.

45 min. to an hour. He may even have a set schedule.

Back