Golf is EXPENSIVE!

I've been playing our local munis a lot more this summer and only splurging on greens fees about once a month. I like to try different courses.

I don't see the problem with buying used clubs.Cost is significantly lower. I'm a Walmart kinda guy so golf style isn't an issue I don't need a brand logo.army issue web belt and buckle about $5 an example.Buy shoes when they're closeouts for a significant discount. Play course I can get a discount. A goal of not paying over $40 for greensfees preferrably under $35. You can play golf on a budget if you just play to play the game not so much for the aesthetics.That's just works for me and whatever works for you isn't wrong in my opinion. People should have their own opinion about it we aren't sheep..But you can play golf on a budget.

WHile I agree, even budget golf costs more than just about any other major sport.

I am blessed to have a decent job, an understanding wife and an awesome 6yr old little boy.
With that being said, I try to play once a week, but that is only after family outings have been taken care of......
In my house, it is Family, golf and then work....
As for expensive...it is the most expensive "hobby" I have gotten in to...but as they say..you can't take it with you when you leave...

WHile I agree, even budget golf costs more than just about any other major sport.

What about sailing - in some places that is a major sport?

Sailing is hardly considered a major sport in most areas.

Sailing is hardly considered a major sport in most areas.

I did say in "some" places. It's very big around here. I know more people with sail boats than power boats.

I only know one person with a boat. And it's a pontoon that just sits at the dock. I know people that used to have boats and they were all motor boats.

I only know one person with a boat. And it's a pontoon that just sits at the dock. I know people that used to have boats and they were all motor boats.

We're on the water here.

I know. We have lakes here. Well, around here.

$40 for golf, wow I am jealous. You can't play here for less at 55-60.

I don't find the game expensive at all. Club purchases are worth it because most of them last awhile, and I pay $625 a year for unlimited golf and range balls.

Keep in mind Dent, you dont have a Mortgage and bills like a lot of folks yet though.

However I will say that your deal is darn impressive.

Keep in mind Dent, you dont have a Mortgage and bills like a lot of folks yet though.

However I will say that your deal is darn impressive.

Exactly, but taking out lifes other expenses, a membership is a perfect way to get cheap golf if you find one for the right price.

Exactly, but taking out lifes other expenses, a membership is a perfect way to get cheap golf if you find one for the right price.

100% agreed. That is how we figure it into our budget as well.

I'm pretty blessed to have a decent golf course reasonably close by which only costs me $550 for unlimited golf for the year.:D I just upgraded my clubs so there's another $1000 and going to get a Golf Buddy GPS so another $300. I don't plan on changing clubs next year (maybe my putter) so hopefully my cost will be much lower!

What about table tennis?:act-up:

Yeah, golf can be expensive, but nowdays what isnt? Just think how much it costs to take you signifigant other out to dinner and a movie? (easily $80)
Golf doesnt have to be expensive. You can play at public/muni courses, you can walk, you can buy used clubs and you can play golfballs that cost $20 a dozen.
On the courses I play, it never costs more than $15 to play 9 holes and I only take a golfcart if its really hot out.
As for clubs, you could either buy a no-name set of clubs for $200 or piece together a set of used namebrand clubs on Ebay for less than $400.
For the average person, a $200 set of clubs from Wal-Mart would work just fine for them. I played for years with a set of Knight clubs that I bought from Wal-Mart and they worked great.
Driving range? Just buy a bunch of those foam practice balls and hit balls around at a local park when no one is around. There is a park just across the street from my house where I hit those foam balls all the time.
So, yes, golf can be expensive but there is a lot you can do to make it not so expensive.
Granted, there have been times when I have considered hanging it up because of the cost, but then I ask myself what would I do that would be any cheaper?
Unless all you want to do is sit around watching TV and playing video games; its going to be expensive. Even going out to the bar and having dinner some drinks nowdays is expensive. Around here, a bottle of beer in a bar costs $3.50 and you will pay $5 for a shot or a mixed drink. Not to mention dinner is going to cost you at least $20 per person. Not to mention if you go out with your signifigant other, that amount of money spent doubles.

Where are all these unlimited golf deals?!?!?!?

I can't play 18 for less than $35!!! And that doesn't include range balls!!

Yearly passes are what the deals are called here. Just about every course has them here and you get 12 months of golf Harry. My course has one and then you pay just a cart fee. Saves a ton.

There course where Im a member at charges $350 for unlimited golf and for $400 you get unlimited golf and unlimited use of the driving range.
There only thing that sucks is that you still have to pay for use of a cart, but its still a super cheap deal.
It is only a par 3 course though...

Yearly passes are what the deals are called here. Just about every course has them here and you get 12 months of golf Harry. My course has one and then you pay just a cart fee. Saves a ton.
No such thing anywhere near me.

No such thing anywhere near me.

Ditto, the only yearly passes around here are between 400 to 500 a month, so at that point you mine as well go the Country Club route.

Ditto, the only yearly passes around here are between 400 to 500 a month, so at that point you mine as well go the Country Club route.

Not around here - there's that little issue of a bond. There are a couple of clubs where the bond may be in the $15K range, but the majority are $50K +.

Not around here - there's that little issue of a bond. There are a couple of clubs where the bond may be in the $15K range, but the majority are $50K +.

That's a lot closer to what I've seen around here. Minimum $15k initiation fee, then $500-1k/mo. + food minimums, etc.

We have plenty of those clubs too. Even up to the 250k initiation of 2 of them. But it helps living in an area where there is a course on every corner all wanting business.

Diane,
We lived in very different places in CT obviously and at different times. THere were atleat 4 courses that I found very enjoyable that were offering yearly passes that were quite affordable.

Back