Golf As The Great Equalizer

Diane

Reaction score
JB called golf the great equalizer. I both agree and disagree with that statement. I think it can be for men and women who know each other in the sense that it allows us to play a sport on equal terms, but in other ways, women are still 2nd class citizens out there. Many men would prefer we not be out there. For men, I think it's very difficult to be a newbie golfer when you're playing with experienced golfers. I don't think a lot of them handle it well because they feel frustrated. In terms of a disparity in income - I think people are equal on the course, but probably not once they reach the 19th hole. So - in theory - yes I agree. In practice - I'm not so sure.

I disagree with that 150%. Sure there are more men playing golf than women. Real life Stats give us those numbers. But you are assuming men dont want women on the course and that is a bold statement. I love having women on the course just as much as anybody else.

My thoughts on this are the same as they always have been. It is about skill levels, not about race, gender, religion, or anything else. Some people have preconceived notions about a woman playing golf, but that can be said in reverse as well.

Ok - leave the women out of it. Focus on men playing with men. No jokes from the peanut gallery - you know who you are. Also focus on a maintenance worker playing with a CEO. Do you still think it's the great equalizer?

Sure I do. It is people doing what they love. As long as skill levels match up, (and ettiquite) I am not sure MOST people care.

Ok - leave the women out of it. Focus on men playing with men. No jokes from the peanut gallery - you know who you are. Also focus on a maintenance worker playing with a CEO. Do you still think it's the great equalizer?

If the CEO is too proud of himself to play golf and have a good time with a "pee-on" then he is a worthless POS to begin with. I would hope the maintenance worker would wipe the course with him.

I like having women on the course too. It's even better when they are actually good. Even if they aren't good it's nice having them on the course as long as they are enjoying themself. Same with guys. If they aren't having a good time playing, good or bad, then it's a miserable time for everyone out there.

If the CEO is too proud of himself to play golf and have a good time with a "pee-on" then he is a worthless POS to begin with. I would hope the maintenance worker would wipe the course with him.

I like having women on the course too. It's even better when they are actually good. Even if they aren't good it's nice having them on the course as long as they are enjoying themself. Same with guys. If they aren't having a good time playing, good or bad, then it's a miserable time for everyone out there.

bogey, you are assuming the CEO would be the one having the issue. What about the other guy saying "I would not fit in". I just do not see it happen at all.

You're missing my point. I think the executive and the maintenance worker could play together comfortably assuming their games were about the same. I think the camaraderie would end in the bar.

My first job included a my first round of golf. Never had picked up a club before, except maybe a putter. I was small fry in that company. I happened to to be in the CEO's foursome. I think I shot 120 something, but I don't really remember. The following work day I was summoned to the big guy's office. In a polite way he informed that If I expected to move up in the company, I should put some practice time in on my golf game. I learned more about corporate bull fecal matter from that one golf outing than any college could have taught.:clapp:

Diane, I have played with people of all different backgrounds from CEOs of Fortune 500 companies, teachers, hedge fund managers, students, social workers, government employees, men and women, and yes even one janitor who used to clean the building where I worked (we were talking one evening and we happened onto the subject of golf). One thing I can say is when I have played with people whether I knew them or simply got paired as a single, by the first few holes you don’t even think about what the person you are playing with does for a living or their socioeconomic background. It’s about you and the game, the beauty of the course, the simple banter back and forth, etc.

That is one of the things I love about this game. I can’t speak for others but that is my personal experience.

You're missing my point. I think the executive and the maintenance worker could play together comfortably assuming their games were about the same. I think the camaraderie would end in the bar.

But that makes my point for me. Golf is the ultimate equalizer. Because while playing golf any type of person can play together.

But that makes my point for me. Golf is the ultimate equalizer. Because while playing golf any type of person can play together.

:clapp::clapp::clapp:

Not always. You don't think there are smart, wealthy janitors? I'm not saying there are a bunch of them but maybe he enjoys being a janitor and has quite the savings. He can still toss back a few cold ones with a CEO. As most of us know the small guy is the one that really runs the joint. The CEO takes the heat and gets all the praise.

I'm sorry - I just realized my post followed yours. I was responding to Bogey. I still think the equality ends when you walk off the 18th green though.

But that is part of life Diane. People like to be with people that are similar to them. It sucks, but its true. But golf is the ultimate equalizer because while out there people can discuss golf and be equals

I understand what you are saying, Diane, and you are right to a point.

There will always be people who feel the need to place everyone in their position in the social scheme...that is not exclusive to golf. It happens. But, on the other hand, I have played with CEO's down to who knows what job and have enjoyed them both equally.

My Dad taught me that if a man earns his own way in this world, he deserves your respect no matter what job he does.

Golf is a reflection of life, not life on a higher plane.

But that is part of life Diane. People like to be with people that are similar to them. It sucks, but its true. But golf is the ultimate equalizer because while out there people can discuss golf and be equals

Especially at a private club where they are equals and are with people who are similar to them.

Especially at a private club where they are equals and are with people who are similar to them.

While that is true to an extent, that is why they joined a private club. The same goes for if the janitor joins the private club. You are making a big assumption in saying that the janitor is left out. What if he does not want to hang out with the CEO because the CEO is stuffy?

I've played with both and have never noticed that I get treated differently by one over the other. I have friends who I would probably never talk to were it not for golf. They work in completely different fields from me. For example, I have friends who do the following:

Carpentry
Charted surveying
selling plumbing tools
estate agency
doctor
travel agency
property development
private equity
nothing (my brother <_<)
former CEO, now retired
truck driver
derivative trading
investment banking
accountancy
actuaries
company rescue
driveway paving
lawyer

and many others I'm sure. I'm pretty good friends with people in such diverse trades that wouldn't happen were it not for golf, so yes, I think it's a great equaliser.

I find that you don't have to equal in ability either. I've played golf at many courses and with many types of people. Some had filthy money and some didn't. Most people, when they find out you are a beginner have no problem because even though you are not equal now at one time in their golf they were in the same place as you and they seem to have great respect if you show seriousness for game. REAL golfers seem to be some of the best people in the world. 19th hole? Why would I want to kick it with Bill Gates or the like. I am much more comfortable with my own.

p.s. most of them fools only beat you by a handful of strokes anyway no matter how prestigious they are:laughing:

...as for women...I love playing with women...

Last edited:
I see your point, Diane. It is true, we've had many stories on the forum of men giving far superior golfer women crummy advice because they assume the girls need any advice at all, or crummy service in stores, or that kind of thing. But I think it's the equalizer because the potential is there. Since you play against yourself in golf, and it requires skill over brute strength, even when I may feel behind, I still feel like it's possible one day to do really well.

I also agree with Diane on this topic. I often hear guys say that they do not want woman to play in tournaments. There is certainly a bias there. Although I will say, that seems to be a generational thing. Meaning that I rarely hear the younger men saying that kind of thing. So maybe in a few years that bias will be reduced.

Personally, I would like to see more women play and compete.

As for the janitor and CEO I wonder what is meant by equal. They have a discussion on the golf course? A beer? Not sure a having either of those makes them equal. What is meant by equal. Maybe I am slow, but this isn't clear to me.

I play golf with our VP, almost on a weekly basis. We are fairly equal in skill (I like to think I have more than he does, but don't tell him that). The course is the only place where the walls come down and we can both BS and talk trash to one another. Once we're back in the office, we both know where the line is drawn.

He too places a BIG emphasis on golf and the workplace.

I see your point, Diane. It is true, we've had many stories on the forum of men giving far superior golfer women crummy advice because they assume the girls need any advice at all, or crummy service in stores, or that kind of thing. But I think it's the equalizer because the potential is there. Since you play against yourself in golf, and it requires skill over brute strength, even when I may feel behind, I still feel like it's possible one day to do really well.

Diana/Jill,
If that is the case, the women should call shananigans and tell the men to shut the "F" up and play ball.

Back