What cigar got you "hooked?"

GenErr

Reaction score
Maybe this has been asked before, if so I apologize and claim "newbiness."

I think the first "real" good cigar I had (around 15 years ago) was a La Gloria Cubana Wavell. It was so good (and different from the Garcia Vega cigars I'd been smoking on the golf course). I was "hooked," and went from a golf course cigar smoker to a more frequent cigar smoker.

Even now I enjoy the Wavell, although they don't taste quite as good as they did years ago. I like the size, and any wrapper/blend.

What got you "hooked?"

Mac Portifino. I actually cannot stand them now, but it got me hooked.

I had sampled many over the years but never really hooked until I had a La Gloria Cubana. Not sure exactly which one it was but it was good enough for me to buy a box after smoking several of them.

H.Upmann Cameroon (back in the mid 90's, before it became the "Vintage Cameroon")

I was working downtown Fort Worth, I'd hit the cigar shop, which had the coolest humidor ever (about 20' high with lockers all the way to the ceiling, above the cigars for sale and ladders like in a library with brass hardware) Then I'd head over to the Flying Saucer and have a few pints, listen to some blues or read a book and enjoy my cigar.

loved the A. Fuente 8-5-8 maduro, LGC maduro but most of all the Hoyo de Monterrey #1 or #2 - Maduro. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm

(_[ii]_____}}}}}}

Many years ago I was hooked, can't recall which one, but ones I loved were most Fuentes, Partagas, and of course Cubans, of course these were smoked in Canada:>)
MY favs were old (before the buyout several years ago) Romeo Julietas, coronas.

I would have one every once in a while, but the one that grabbed me a few years ago was a Oliva V series. I love those things.

My Grandpa used to smoke White Owls...He must have had 200 empty boxes in his basement when he died. I've had a couple, not in years though, and they made me think of him. Besides those, I would probably say my first Onyx did it for me.

AF Hemingway Signature. I smoked a few swisher sweets at poker games just for kicks. One of my buddies gave me a hard time about smoking dog rockets. I said what ever, he gave me a signature and POW I was hooked on the quest for the next great smoke.

still trying to find time to peruse all the articles here and see which smoke this cigar virgin should try first....

I smoked White Owl Peach for a few years before I tried a real cigar. I can't remember the brand, but the next time I smoked a WO Peach, I learned the difference. One of my favorite cigars I have smoked is a CAO Cx2. The Mx2 does not taste as good to me. I tried a CAO American this past weekend and it was surprisingly good.

still trying to find time to peruse all the articles here and see which smoke this cigar virgin should try first....

try a Por Laranauga... nice light smoke, easy on the palate, and I have yet to have one with a bad draw. I prefer these when I am going to have a smoke early in the morning, they don't shock the mouth.

As for what got me hooked were Toranos and the AF hemingway series.

I can tell what cigar got me "unhooked". Those would be "King Edward" Cigars. I was 8 or 9 years old, and me and a friend were smoking my Dad's cigars. My Dad caught us doing this bad deed. My Dad told me if I really liked cigars I should chew one instead, which I did at his insistence. About 15 minutes later I was blowing chunks in the toilet. I never touch another cigar, or cigarette the rest of my life. :clapp:

I can tell what cigar got me "unhooked". Those would be "King Edward" Cigars. I was 8 or 9 years old, and me and a friend were smoking my Dad's cigars. My Dad caught us doing this bad deed. My Dad told me if I really liked cigars I should chew one instead, which I did at his insistence. About 15 minutes later I was blowing chunks in the toilet. I never touch another cigar, or cigarette the rest of my life. :clapp:

One of my older friends has a story like this. His dad caught him smoking and he told him that if he was going to smoke, he was going to show him how to smoke like a man. He told him that real men swallowed the smoke and made him smoke a whole cigar. Needless to say, he threw up a lot.

One of my older friends has a story like this. His dad caught him smoking and he told him that if he was going to smoke, he was going to show him how to smoke like a man. He told him that real men swallowed the smoke and made him smoke a whole cigar. Needless to say, he threw up a lot.

An "old timer" once told me that a "so-so" cigar you smoked to about 2-3" from the end, a good cigar to about 1-2" to the end, a real good cigar burnt your lips (or mustache), and a super cigar you smoked till you were chewing the tobacco. Might be an exaggeration! LOL :confused2:

I don't smoke anymore, but back in the day (ugh I sound old...) 12 or so years ago, La Gloria Cubana Torpedos were the bomb!

A Cuban Bolivar I smoked when I was studying abroad in Prague got me hooked.

Rockey Patel Old World Reserve got me hooked.

The Old World Reserve is a great smoke. Have you tried the Rocky Patel Vintage 1990?

Philly Blunts for all the wrong reasons...

I ain't fancy...

Cohiba Siglo IV. Shortly thereafter, I noticed that for me, the flavor of Cuban cigars was far and away superior to anything I have had in the US.
Current favorite, Montecristo (Cuban) #2 torpedos. My favorite US-available brand - Padron Anniversary 1964.

The Old World Reserve is a great smoke. Have you tried the Rocky Patel Vintage 1990?

I am a big fan of the 1990 :bananadance:and the Fusions too.:clapp:

Back