100$ For A Driver

OFvar

The Drive to Win
Reaction score
Handicap
I just got a hundred dollar gc to put toward a driver. I need a new one, my ft-5 is "worn out". I know about the driver shoot out and ive read it 5 times, but i want to know about personal reviews. :comp:

I like the Cobra S9-1, any Callaway and Taylormades from hitting. Ill be going to proshop/range to hit more tomorrow.

Any suggestions based on drivers you own/have hit? I want to explore all my options on getting this new club. :call-me:

Try to demo that S9-1, tonight I took my second spin around 18 holes with the demo at our club....and bought it!!! I had a falling out with my HiBore and had been shopping around lately, I got a great deal on this and couldn't say no.

Right now the Dymos are only $199 and the Str8 fits are $299. From what I'm reading those are as good a club on the market right now. Being that you're already $100 on your way you could justify going with a $299 stick a little bit easier I think. This is a great time to be in the market for drivers, there are so many great options on sale everywhere you look right now! Don't forget to try a r9 and r9 460, if you're a TM guy these are must try clubs. Have fun!!

Not sure which way to recommend on this one. Lots of good drivers out there right now to pick from. If I were to give a list of must-demo clubs, here'd be my top 5 - no particular order:

1. Nike Dymo/STR8-Fit
  2. Taylormade R9/R9 460
  3. Mizuno MX-700
  4. Callaway FT-9
  5. Cobra L5v

Those should all be available in most areas. Another couple to keep an eye out for - Nickent 4DX/Evolver, Adams Speedline & A4/A4OS. Maybe even a Bridgestone J33.

build your own for $50...

I like the S9-1 a lot this year, however I would not put it in my top 5 for drivers that are out right now. It seems the rest of the people that hit it in the shoot out felt the same way. In the end, most the drivers on the market now are very good. It becomes personal taste for someone.

I happened upon the Ping van with the Trackman set up a few months ago. I had never hit a Ping driver until then and I was impressed. With 9* loft and S flex shaft, I was getting 265 carry. I still want one but I had just bought the R7-460 and have since won the Burner at a tournament, so I am loaded up with drivers.

thanks for that, ill definitely hit the FT-9 and Dymo today along with the S9-1 and R9

......what about the tour burner? anything on that?

Last edited:
We have reviewed the Burner and they have been in most of our shoot outs.

just out of curiosity...why am I the only one on this entire board that seems to like components?

There are quite a few that do such as LBlack. I have tried the Geek driver and it did not do a lot for me. Some work well, but just like anything, they are not for everybody.

There are quite a few that do such as LBlack. I have tried the Geek driver and it did not do a lot for me. Some work well, but just like anything, they are not for everybody.

ok. I never see anyone discuss them on here. It always seems like it has to be brand names. I just built a pair of hybrids that cost me $10 each to build and like them way more than the 2 brand name hybrids I was using before. same with my current driver. Pulled the callaway for the component.

my confidence comes with a name brand :laugh:

i did build a set of maltbys for my grandma, she likes them a lot

eh...Im just bitter because I can't use icons for my clubs in my signature...:act-up:

ok. I never see anyone discuss them on here. It always seems like it has to be brand names. I just built a pair of hybrids that cost me $10 each to build and like them way more than the 2 brand name hybrids I was using before. same with my current driver. Pulled the callaway for the component.

Different strokes for different folks.

eh...Im just bitter because I can't use icons for my clubs in my signature...:act-up:

Talk to Hacker. Can't hurt to ask, if you can tell him what you need.

Talk to Hacker. Can't hurt to ask, if you can tell him what you need.

its really not that big of a deal. thats one of the great things about components. I can afford to change clubs almost weekly.

but are they really that good if youre changing every week?

I just started playing the game...so Im still trying to find out what clubs work best for my game (or lack of). If I was using brand name equipment I would never be able to play around like this. plus its rather enjoyable to make something in the garage then go play a round with it.

CCR,
I agree with you a lot, but also keep in mind that the resale value or trade in value on OEM clubs compared to that of components is different as well. There are a lot of differences, part of it being the R&D that goes into some of the clubs today is very different.

but are they really that good if youre changing every week?

There are several people on this site who change their clubs often. And these are name brand clubs.

I have an 09 Burner and i do hit 15+ yards further than my hibore xl. They are only $200 dollars now too!

I love my G10- at the least give it a try amidst all the Taylormades and Callaways of the world.

Yeah and if you wait a week or two TaylorMade will probably have a new driver to try! Ha!

CCR,
I agree with you a lot, but also keep in mind that the resale value or trade in value on OEM clubs compared to that of components is different as well. There are a lot of differences, part of it being the R&D that goes into some of the clubs today is very different.

I absolutely agree with you...but considering it cost me about as much as 1 bucket of range balls to build the latest club...I can toss it in the trash and never look back. Keep in mind that Im a newcomer to the game so Im hesitant to drop big $$$ on a set of OEM clubs until I know exactly what I want. and perhaps until my game is good enough to tell the difference.

Case in point...I recently hit some Callaway X-22s at a demo day...and LOVED them...but my current complete set of irons cost less to build than a single Cally SW would be to buy.

Back