Wedge Shoot Out Results

JB,
I currently play Miz MP-T's.. I understand they did not do so well on the spin...I have a question on SW.. I use to play Vokey's a long time ago and seem to remember their SW as being heavier. I tried to find the SW on the MP-t's and I think I found D3-D5...

In your opinion, what SW do you (your testers) find the most appealing??? The really heavy ones like D5-D6?? Did the testers correlate a higher SW to better performance??

thanks
bama

It really all depends on what type of player you are. Vokeys are head heavy, as are the Nickents that I have been playing. But there are a lot "in between". The CG14s are not as heavy as those either.

It is all about personal preference really. what your wedges lacked in spin in our test, the Vokeys definitely lacked in feel to our testers. There are wedges out there that did well in both in our Shoot Out, but it was not Vokeys or Mizzies. The Mizunos did not do real well in anything other than feel actually.

I finally got to mess around with them a couple of days ago and agree with the findings of the testers during the shoot out.

Im suprised by so many people being suprised by how well Cleveland did in this shootout. Cleveland has always made excellent wedges. Theyve been one of the if not the best for a while now. I love my CG14! ALWAYS close to the hole!

Excellent review and write up!

Thanks Kevin. I agree with you. I have never personally played Clevelands, but they are excellent wedges (love the niblick too).

Thanks Kevin. I agree with you. I have never personally played Clevelands, but they are excellent wedges (love the niblick too).

Ha I was in Dicks Tuesday night looking for an A or U wedge and had that Niblick in my hand! I wanted to pull the trigger just because it was so strange looking but mainly because of the good review you gave it. Ended up leaving with just a box of Bridgestones.

It has helped my game more than any other club I have ever purchased.

It has helped my game more than any other club I have ever purchased.

Wow really? How are you using it? Mainly around the green? How does it perform again on fuller swings?

I have replaced my 9 iron in my bag with it most of the time. Mine is 42* and I use it for full swings all the time. It is also great pitching out of rough or tight situations. I also love warming up with it before the round because it is so much heavier than most clubs.

Thanks JB! I might just have to add this club to my bag instead of a U.

So my next question is this. It looked like the Nikes fared better for the low 'cappers than the high 'cappers, would you suggest that someone with a handicap too high to measure start with the CG-14's? Even if they can't stand the look of the yeller triangle in the back?

I have a friend (ahem) who's setup is the stock gap wedge from their set, and a Mizzy MP-R sand wedge. I...I mean *HE* likes they way the Mizuno feels but is currently unhappy with the wedge. So do I go...I mean do I tell him to go with the CG-14 or the VR? Either way it'll be a custom order to get 1/2" more length.

I recommend trying a bunch out 92. But you bring up a great point. During the testing we saw something that contradicts what myself and everybody else have been saying for a long time about looks. And that is that liking the look will bring confidence and that will bring better shots.

What we saw is that quite a few of the clubs that people did not like the look of, performed the absolute best compared to the ones they loved the look of. I will use 2 examples and that is the Adams and the Eidolon. Very few golfers liked the looks of either club. The Adams was near the bottom in looks, yet feel, spin and performance were very good. The Eidolon also did not fare well in looks mainly due to the thicker top line yet it performed almost better than every wedge out there. So in our testing, it was quite different.

I think that it would be worth trying both if you could. However if you cannot try both, I would tell you that they are both awesome wedges and you cannot go wrong with either one. I would say take a look and see what each one of the high handicappers had in their profile and see if any of them identify with your game. If they do, it could be a good indication of what you would like when you hit them.

Kevin™;104890 said:
Ha I was in Dicks Tuesday night looking for an A or U wedge and had that Niblick in my hand! I wanted to pull the trigger just because it was so strange looking but mainly because of the good review you gave it. Ended up leaving with just a box of Bridgestones.

Kevin-

I don't own a Niblick at the present time (as I'm not sure what I'd pull out for it's spot). However, my wife really struggles with her short game (and she doesn't have the time to practice much). I bought her a Niblick a few months ago and she absolutely loves it.

I've taken it out to the range a number of times, and it is the most ridiculously fun club I've ever hit, period. I've struggled a little bit with distance control, but every shot is within 2' left or right of the pin, and I'm not very good. One of our green targets at my driving range is about 60 yards. I think I hit the pin two or three times in one bucket of balls with the Niblick a few months ago. On a full swing for me it will go about 130 (it's the 42* model).

If you're thinking about it, do it. That is a great club.

Great insight 92. It is very much like playing with SGI irons.

great read on the results jb. i personally play the taylormades and was pleased to see them place 5th overall. i can't disagree with your results because obviously they came straight from your testers, but i will admit i was surprised to see that the taylormades didn't place top 5 in the spin category. i had played vokeys for 2 years before switching to the z tp's and found the tp's to spin a lot more. i can spin mine so much that i begin to tear the cover off of the ball a little which gets annoying. but hey i can live with it. just found that interesting. overall i think this was a great success as well as all of the over shoot outs. where do we go from here? a ball shoot out after the hybrid shoot out?

Its ironic AK, because even our friends at TM feel as though the TMs lack spin. As for the ball shoot out, we are thinking about it.

Very strange. I've used Callaway, Cleveland, and Titleist, and of the 3 Titleist is a clear winner. The reason for me is feel, yet the group at my handicap level rejected them because of lack of feel. Clearly shows the value of trying before you buy and not going solely on someone else's recommendation.

Agreed. I am surprised that you had those results because when hitting them side by side almost all 18 testers felt the same way about feel. Cast vs forged and a harder metal is used in the Vokeys which cause many to speak about how much less feel they have. But you are right, it is about trying before you buy.

I kept going back and trying various Vokeys. For me, there are just others that work better for me. However, I did add a 48* non-sm to my bag a when I was playing the X22's. That club I do truly like and have no issues with.
Looking forward to SSB's Vega!

I kept going back and trying various Vokeys. For me, there are just others that work better for me. However, I did add a 48* non-sm to my bag a when I was playing the X22's. That club I do truly like and have no issues with.
Looking forward to SSB's Vega!

on more post for 1000!!!!!! yay!

i want to buy a wedge type 48*, such as a vokey or something... would you recommend it?

Thank OF,
Well, I dunno. At the time, the GI 22 pw was just too bulky for what I have been used to. I tend to use a pw for as many shots as I can inside 100, though lately been going to sw or gw as I should be.
When I got the 48 Vokey, it was basically one of my only local choices. I've tried so many wedges, but that one works "for me". That being said, I like the small sole width and lower bounce on it to various counterparts. Probably look for what you want it forand try to fit that in. Mine was luck of the draw basically. I actually think I like it better than the stock TW blade pw I just got the other week with my VR's, but for "my touch" and not better for big full swings.

I'm ordering up a Sunset Beach, so I am pretty sure that will be the club opposed to relying on pw for the shots say 80-in.

ive hit the 48 vokey and its nice! but im not sure, i would love blades but know id struggle with 4,5, n maybe 6 irons....i was even looking into a transition set like the Bridgestone J33 or J36s....did you get the VR blades?

OF,
Please keep this thread on topic. This is about the wedge shoot out and wedges and not sets of blades.

everytime I see a shootout...
I want to buy new equipment...

Its ironic AK, because even our friends at TM feel as though the TMs lack spin. As for the ball shoot out, we are thinking about it.

interesting. maybe i got a special pair or something haha

Really good post, I'm like break-90 now I want new wedges.
really like this forun good job JB

Back