Official Wedge Shoot Out Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is the thread to discuss your thoughts on the shoot out. We will also make the results available to forum members first in this thread.

We want to know your predictions. What do you think will do well? Care to rank your predictions? We would love to hear about it?

Just about every wedge manufacturer was invited to participate in this great feature and most have accepted. Each company was asked to submit a 56* and a 60* wedge. Here is the list of the companies that will be participating.

The Shoot Out kicks off in a little over a week and the results will be coming soon after that.

Titleist - Vokey Spin Milled
Callaway - X Forged
Cleveland - CG12
Cleveland - CG14
Taylormade -Z TP
Nike - VR Forged
Eidolon - V-Sole
Nickent - Arc Wedges
Bridgestone - WC Liquid Copper
Mizuno - MP R
Mizuno - MP T
Adams - Puglielli
Feel - Designer Series Dart Thrower
Wilson Staff - TW9
Hippo - HWT Forged
Srixon - WG-706

The Hackers Paradise has set up 18 equipment testers to try these clubs out in a plethora of situations including greenside, rough, fairway, sand, and so much more. None of our testers are affiliated with our site or any equipment company that is participating.

6 Testers - Low Handicaps - Scratch to 4 Handicap and most are teaching professionals
6 Testers - Mid Handicaps - 8 to 15 handicap and most are weekly players
6 Testers - High Handicaps - Over 20 and are looking for an edge.

Bridgestone is sponsoring the contest with golf balls. Each golfer will be using brand new B330RX. They will provide their thoughts on the golf ball as well.

Categories for these tests are:
Looks - Personal preference on the appearance
Feel - Personal opinion on how these clubs felt overall
Spin - Measured by Testing crew based on outcome
Overall Performance - Based on distances left after shot

The results will be ready in approximately two weeks.

Last edited:
I've only played two of the wedges on the list so I'm not much help but I think the Nickents will win out. I've got a 56* X forged and a 60* ARC and I love the ARC. I wish I would have held off buying the x forged and bought an ARC wedge in the 56* instead.

I really like my X-Tour's, but I think they take some getting used to. I'll be interested to see how the X-Forged's fare with just a relatively few shots from the testers to get comfortable with them.

My wedges are not listed, but just as guess I would say the Clevelands, and Mizunos would fair pretty well against the rest of that list. Maybe a slight edge to Mizunos. I have tried a few of those wedges that are listed, but they were not for me, and my swing. I did like the Vokey however. :comp:

• Admin
What are you playing prov?

Tour Edge GeoMax 2 Irons 2-LW. I sometimes take out the long irons, to make room for some fairway woods. Just depends on the course. :comp:

What are you playing prov?

I'm playing the MP-R wedge currently.
All I can say is that it is a great wedge. It doesn't generate as much spin as some (though that could just be because mine are beat and I need new ones) but they feel solid and look great. I definately preferred the look of the rounded MP-R over the teardrop MP-T though both are winners, in terms of looks, in my book.

As for predictions, I couldn't possibly. Simply because I haven't hit the majority of them. But those Bridgestones look too fine not to do well, especially in the liquid copper finish :drool:
I'd look for the Eidolons to do well, what with their supposed versatility.
Also the Vokeys.

I absolutely love my ARC wedge, but in this field I have no idea where they'll finish. I would say I'm expecting the Eidolons, Bridgestones, and Nickents to do well though.

I think the Cleveland CG14 will win the spin. I got a 54* & 60* & if I can spin em anybody can. lol Always have played their wedges, had a 60* copper long time back & just loaned my CG10s to a friend. love the look & feel

I have a feeling the Eidolon's will win this. Just because when a company only makes one kind of club - it's usually pretty damn good.

I have a feeling the Eidolon's will win this. Just because when a company only makes one kind of club - it's usually pretty damn good.

I'm with you here. Never hit em or even seen em in the flesh. But i have only heard one bad comment about them ever. The rest are glowing positives!

I wold imagine the clevelnds will be there too, not sure on the nickents though. for me, they do the job. But i am yet to be convinced they do it better than any other wedge. Vokeys will probly be up there....although i have to admit i HATE them. They feel just awful to me, similar with the x-forged wedge....although it obviously got a lot of spin on it.

I have last year's Vokeys. I don't hate them, but I agree they don't feel great. Too "clicky".

Its all very personal as well i feel. I actually own a 56 & 60 nickent ARC wedges...they the do the job, and if i am honest they do it quite well. But everybody seems to say how buttery soft they are and how good their feel is. They just dont feel that great to me, my Z TP wedge feels much better....as long as i hit the centre that is....

it will be interesting to see this review/test. Some stats based things cant be argued...but feel, which is big for wedges can be.

THat is why rather than review, we have 18 different people testing them and we will see if their are some trends in feel. I agree it is very different for people.

We want to know from everyone their predictions as we start out this week on this Shoot Out. Who will win best overall? Lots of great categories. Looks, Spin, Feel, Performance. This is going to be a lot of work, but in the end, we hope it turns out great and can get to the bottom of some of these claims from companies.

Best overall? I dunno but am anxious to find out. So far my favorite looking one is the TaylorMades.

I am too Smallie. I really am curious about the spin category as well.

Which style of the Clevelands do you have? I think they are some really good looking wedges, I have the RTG finish and love them.

The CG14 actually comes in camo...

I'm thrilled to pieces with my Eidolon's. When I don't chili dip, or stand up in the middle of the swing, they're awesome to hit the ball! :D

Dad got a CG14, and ball flight is similar, and will stick the ball on demand, just like my Eidolon's will. They'll do well, and the camo finish is killer.

I did like the Bridgestones, but I'm glad that I went with the Eidolon's.

I'm currently playing Miz MP-T's 54 & 60* and an Eidolon 51*. I have a 56 & 60 Eidolon but they were chased out by the Miz's. Both are good wedges but if push come to shove the Miz's beat out the Eid's. If and when the economy picks up a little I'll pick up a 51* Miz

I am definitely guessing you prefer feel to spin Lefte? We had our first contestant today and he got everything in. Took about 1 hour for the complete testing. Results will be up in about a week.

3 testers down and 15 more to go. We are seeing some trends in spin and feel and performance is all over the place. The results in a week or so.

I am definitely guessing you prefer feel to spin Lefte? We had our first contestant today and he got everything in. Took about 1 hour for the complete testing. Results will be up in about a week.

JB,
Yeah I think you got me there, I get a better feel with the Miz's which has helped me control distance. The question comes to have a convinced myself that the spin is better with the Miz's because of the improved control?

Cleveland

Cleveland

Only one wedge for me. The Cleveland CG14 is far and away the best wedge I have ever hit. The more you play the better it feels and acts. I have tested every one on the list, some better than others but none better than the Cleveland.

Back