Trapping the ball?

“High-handicap golfers don't always understand that you have to hit down on the ball to get it up in the air. I see them trying to scoop or lift it up. They then place the ball forward in their stances to facilitate that scooping motion. But the ball shouldn't be played that far forward.

Good players hit down on the ball with the shaft leaning toward the target approaching impact, so they trap the ball between club and ground and trust that the ball will spin up into the air.

Alright then. So if you're generating lag and hitting more from the inside out, you should naturally be "trapping the ball" correct?

You may want to post this in our ask the pro section.

“High-handicap golfers don't always understand that you have to hit down on the ball to get it up in the air. I see them trying to scoop or lift it up. They then place the ball forward in their stances to facilitate that scooping motion. But the ball shouldn't be played that far forward.

I had that problem years ago and the pro basically just told me to stop trying to "help" the ball in the air, made a huge difference when I worked that out.

Trapping the ball, as I understand is when you place a box slightly propped up, with some ball food under it. When the ball goes in to eat, the box falls on it and you have trapped the ball.

Trapping the ball, as I understand is when you place a box slightly propped up, with some ball food under it. When the ball goes in to eat, the box falls on it and you have trapped the ball.

I can't believe I laughed at that. :D

+1 that gave me a good laugh haha :banana:

That is really funny.

LOL that was great! :clapp:

Is one actually, physically, trapping the ball to the ground? Or is it more of a concept/swing thought?

That's great! Make sure to practice catch and release though. LOL

Is one actually, physically, trapping the ball to the ground? Or is it more of a concept/swing thought?

In actuality, you are kind of pinching the ball between the clubface and the ground. This imparts spin upon the ball. It is also much easier to hit the ball on the sweet spot of irons when you come down on the ball like this.

Back