Wedge Setup and Why?

I love my wedge set up right now. 49,53,57 and I wouldn't give up any of them. The 57 is plenty of loft for lobs and gets used for closer sand shots. I've used all three in the sand at some time or another.

thinking of going to a 3 wedge set up (PW, GW, SW) instead of my current 4 wedge set up (PW, GW, SW, LW) which will allow me to put another hybrid in the bag

As I ponder wedges I want to just have pw, 52, 56.. still gotta pull the trigger on something though just cant figure out what.

outta my head dude....we are on the same page with our wedge thoughts

As I ponder wedges I want to just have pw, 52, 56.. still gotta pull the trigger on something though just cant figure out what.

See, I'm similar, REALLY thinking PW, 51, 57 myself.

Considering trying to track down a cheap Cobra Trusty Rusty 51 to try the loft out in the bag AND to rep a sponsor of the MC....hmmm...

Ive recently started taking partial swings with wedges and I really like that. Definitely makes the game more fun.

I love the 48* wedge in my bag. It's a nice gap filler.

My pw is 47 degrees.

Close enough. I really like the versatillity that the 48*-52*-56* offers. I don't miss a lob at all.

I doubt I'm telling you anything you don't already know.

I carry PW and AW from my burner 2.0 set (45 degree and 50 degree respectively), and then a Vokey bent to 55 degree.

Got rid of my 60 degree Vokey as it was causing more trouble than it was worth. This offseason I am looking to change out the Vokey, perhaps for a Cleveland, but go to a 56 bent to a 55 (instead of the 52 bent to 55 I have now)

I love my Cleveland, never thought to bend it back a degree {duh}, that would solve my OCD dilemma of not having 5 degree difference from the 8i down through the wedges! Thank you!

Ive recently started taking partial swings with wedges and I really like that. Definitely makes the game more fun.
what did you do before?

Always full swings right down to 60, then partial.

But now I'm taking half PWs instead of full 56s etc
what made you wanna change? more versatility? better results?

I like that approach much better than full swings and gapping too. I haven't hit a full wedge shot in a few weeks and I'm really starting to get dialed in with my partial shots.

I've got a 45pw, 50 and 55 in my current set up. Fairly happy with that. 45 is i20, 50 and 55 are tour w. I have about 15 yards gap between each one. Thought about a 60, but had a 57 in previous set and not sure if I need a 60, as I would pretty much just slide under the 57 on full shots unless I played it back in my stance. Alan

The new stronger lofted irons are creating bigger gaps at the wedges end and the opposite is happening at the other end. Like you Alan4014, my PW is 45 so am getting my AW bent to 50 and then it's my Burner SW at 55. I have an old CG10 which has been bent to 57 which I am going to keep for lob shots. So for me it's 45/50/55 and 57! ;)

Back in the day, I presume there was no AW or LW. Was the PW loft usually 48 deg and the SW 56? Loft difference of 8 degrees like that would be a heck of a lot these days and would get most players twitching for an intermediate club.

The interesting question is, with all these extra wedges, are we actually any better at the short game than our predecessors?

Last edited:
This one is not about brands really, but in recent surveying, we noticed something. Most golfers are going with a 52, 56, and 60 degree wedge. Those that carry 3 wedges anyway. However most of the newer sets are seeing PW's more strong lofted.

I have been noticing a gap between my 52* and my PW, so I am thinking of changing up to a 50*, 54*, and 58* to lessen the gap being that my PW is 46*.

What is your wedge setup and do you fill all the gaps that you need to?

My PW being 46* I go 50,54 58. Seems to suit me very well I like those gaps as I can manipulate all yds. with these gaps

The new stronger lofted irons are creating bigger gaps at the wedges end and the opposite is happening at the other end. Like you Alan4014, my PW is 45 so am getting my AW bent to 50 and then it's my Burner SW at 55. I have an old CG10 which has been bent to 57 which I am going to keep for lob shots. So for me it's 45/50/55 and 57! ;)

Back in the day, I presume there was no AW or LW. Was the PW loft usually 48 deg and the SW 56? Loft difference of 8 degrees like that would be a heck of a lot these days and would get most players twitching for an intermediate club.

The interesting question is, with all these extra wedges, are we actually any better at the short game than our predecessors?

I think it is an excellent question. I went 46*/50*/54*/58* last year but found that I really didn't use the 50* or the 58* all that often. This year I think I may go with one less wedge. Maybe 45*/51*/57*.

My PW is 45*, AW 50*, and play 54* 58* CG14's. My biggest gap if 15 yards which is pretty good.

so far, I have a 50 AW, 54 Vokey. I use the 54 so well on the fairway, out of the rough and sand traps that I would find that adding another wedge would be overkill.

Not sure if this is the right thread for this question. But I noticed that many different club makers have a standard 4 degree difference between each iron. So why do so many people go to a with the same difference between wedges? With wedges I feel like you could spread it out to 5 and not see much difference.

set pw then 52, 56, 60

Just like the setup and have a range of bounces on them so I can play different shots from different situations.

Back then, a pitching wedge was 50 and a sand wedge 54 or 56.

The advances in ball technology and marketing have changed the game. TMs make PWs at 43 so buyers think they are longer.

My set is:

PW 45' 125 yds
AW 50' 100 yds
SW 54' 80-90 yrds.

I have R11 irons, but I am considering replacing the AW with a 50' Vokey since I am buying a new 54' Vokey....my current Vokey is about 4 yrs old.

Back