Royal Portrush GC

darahagan

Reaction score
Handicap
I will have the biggest test of golf to date when I play Royal Portrush on the 10th of October (next week).

Has anyone here played this historic course or is it on your wishlist to someday play here.
Any tips to get round in one piece?

I sure haven't, but I am jealous! Enjoy it and take some pictures for us.

I sure haven't, but I am jealous! Enjoy it and take some pictures for us.

What he said, definitely take some pictures. That looks like an awesome course, glad you're able to play it!

I played Portrush about five years ago. It is an unbelievable course.

The best tip that I have isn't much of a tip, but you need to keep the ball in the fairway at all costs. The rough at Portrush goes from "thick" to "ridiculous" pretty quickly. My second tip is to bring some extra balls.

Just enjoy the course, though. It takes you out to the ocean and back, and there are tremendous views throughout the round. The town of Portrush is also pretty cool. Be sure to check it out while you're there.

I've been in portrush a lot. its kind of where you go on day trips to the coast. I even got to see some of the course when I went to the Irish open pro am in July, so i already know to bring plenty of balls!! I don't live that far from it, about an hour and a half, but i never thought i would get the chance to play it. Definitely not so soon. Will definitely take pictures and put them up here!!

I managed to play a few years ago. It was one of those Irish days when it rained a little and blew a lot. The place is wonderful and I was treated very well by the pro shop staff.

Partly the weather and partly the aura of the place but I have no tips to offer. I would love to go again and pay more attention to the course. Don't forget that the Bushmill's distillery is close by as well as the Giant's Causeway.

Have fun.

Don't forget that the Bushmill's distillery is close by as well as the Giant's Causeway.

I have been to the Giants causeway before, next time there check out the Carrick-a-reed rope bridge, its pretty cool. and I'm not a fan of Bushmills, give me Jameson any day!!

The big day is tomorrow. I will try and get as many photos as possible, and maybe a video of a par 3!

I walked around some of the course last year while in Derry visiting family. The only tip I have for you is to tee it down slightly to give you a lower ball flight. You might want to think about doing a course review. It would be very cool. Enjoy the round

Good Luck with your round.
This course sounds like it will be very exciting to play. Enjoy it and keep it in the short grass.

I walked around some of the course last year while in Derry visiting family. The only tip I have for you is to tee it down slightly to give you a lower ball flight. You might want to think about doing a course review. It would be very cool. Enjoy the round

Thanks! I will do a course review!!

I have been to the Giants causeway before, next time there check out the Carrick-a-reed rope bridge, its pretty cool. and I'm not a fan of Bushmills, give me Jameson any day!!

The big day is tomorrow. I will try and get as many photos as possible, and maybe a video of a par 3!

Good luck and have a great round. The Bushmills distillery is totally worth it, and it will get you to join the proper whiskey group in Ireland.

Good luck and have a great round. The Bushmills distillery is totally worth it, and it will get you to join the proper whiskey group in Ireland.

Thanks!

Jameson is the best Irish whiskey, a lot smoother than Bushmills I find. But it is still a nice whiskey.

Thanks!

Jameson is the best Irish whiskey, a lot smoother than Bushmills I find. But it is still a nice whiskey.

He knows you like Jameson, he was just saying the experience of seeing the distillery is well worth the experience.

He knows you like Jameson, he was just saying the experience of seeing the distillery is well worth the experience.

Ha, ok, sorry. Don't think I will have time for that this time, but I will definitely check it out on the next day-trip in that direction.

That is correct. Although I also swear by Bushmills, especially Bushmills black.

Very interested to see pics of the course. It's been too long since I've been over there.

Back