2013 Morgan Cup - The Ultimate Amateur Golf Event

Status
Not open for further replies.
Catching up last night watching the Ryder Cup in the Garage while I worked on my truck.
I had to put the tool's down often as the excitement level rose towards the end of the Matches.
Being at the 2012 MC I didn't play but volunteered and the excitement level watching and capturing video of the matches is right up there with what I watched last night from the Ryder Cup. Best part is your always inside the ropes.hehe

My thoughts exactly! I think once you participate (volunteering/playing) it is the best event in golf...

Catching up last night watching the Ryder Cup in the Garage while I worked on my truck.
I had to put the tool's down often as the excitement level rose towards the end of the Matches.
Being at the 2012 MC I didn't play but volunteered and the excitement level watching and capturing video of the matches is right up there with what I watched last night from the Ryder Cup. Best part is your always inside the ropes.hehe

That is so true. I think for new members that are still trying to learn about The Morgan Cup and what it is, watching the Ryder Cup can give them a good example of what the Morgan Cup staffers experience. We get the tour pro treatment from the great sponsors and we get to play in an amazing team event that has all kinds of excitement going on in every match. I'm sure there were a lot of people at home watching the Ryder Cup thinking, "man, how awesome would it be to experience something like that." Well, The Morgan Cup is that chance. There is nothing like it on Earth, and no one could do it as well as THP does it. There are a lot of dedicated people behind the scenes that make it what it is in order to bring the same kind of excitement to the staffers that we see on TV from the pros.

This is a post I’ve tried to write many times over, each time I get towards the end and it just doesn’t seem right. Well now I’m just going with the gut and letting it fly. From the moment I learned I would be sponsored by Cleveland/Srixon I was pretty ecstatic about the options I would have. It wasn’t about the equipment itself but more so the experience of building my own bag that I thought would suit me the best. So as I sit here roughly ten months afterwards I look back and it is pretty obvious I picked correctly.

When it comes to wedges there is one name that I’ve always associated with quality design and exceptional performance, Cleveland. When we learned last year that the 588 was making a comeback, as a forum I think we all collectively salivated. I was playing the original 588 at that time and knew what a great wedge it was so I was curious to see what, if any changes would be made. Soon after the sponsors were announced it was time to place an order for wedges, I went with a 3 wedge setup, something a little different than I had played with before but I wanted to try it out. I selected the Black Pearl finish and it’s been everything I expected. No glare whatsoever and when it starts wearing in, well I don’t know if there is a better looking finish on the market. In the time I’ve had these wedges my short game has grown by leaps and bounds, I used to be a bull in a china shop with a wedge but now I feel supremely confident in pulling off any shot around the greens. I’ve come to love these wedges like no other, sure the Indian has gotten better but he also put better arrows in the quiver.

Putters. Oh putters, how ye frustrate me. Admittedly I was the most nervous about this one than anything else we ordered. I had hoped to try out a few models here locally but that wasn’t happening since the local courses that carry NC didn’t have any models that suited me available. Ordering a putter blind is rather unnerving and makes for a hesitant few weeks until it arrives. Thanks to some reading around the forum and over on putterzone.com I was able to at least make an educated guess on the Connoisseur Perfecto. I’ve mentioned in that putter thread *crickets* how much I love this putter. Never, ever, have I had a flat stick that I have supreme confidence in. I used to stand over a 10’ putt and feel my knees knocking wondering if this putt would drop, now it’s point it, shoot it, and drain it.

Woods and Hybrids. To me this is where Cleveland dropped the hammer on the competition this year. The Black driver is hands down the best driver I’ve ever used. How they managed to thin the face to save weight and also boost ball speeds on off center hits was brilliant. The speed crown shape is very subtle and looks fantastic address, and when paired with blacked out head makes for an aggressive appearance. The aggression didn’t stop there for me. I consistently find myself farther down the fairway and for that matter, in more fairways since I’ve started playing this driver. Pairing it with the Miyazaki Black shaft has really unleashed the demon side of the Black. Instantly I saw my spin decrease, my carry increase and overall my driver became a weapon. I credit our very own TC and the fitters at Miyazaki for suggesting that shaft to me. The Black doesn’t stop there though, it continues into the fairway woods as well. I debated long and hard about carrying both the 3 and 5 woods in the Black line, in the end I went with just the 3 wood as an alternative to driver off the tee. This is such a fun club to hit, even though I don’t use it often enough. When I come to tight fairway or a hole that requires a shot off the tee instead of a swing I don’t hesitate to put one in play with the Black 3 wood. I played around with make a little different bag in my woods and hybrids, carrying a 5 & 7 wood in addition to a 5 hybrid gave me a unique setup that really shines me for where it matters, on the course. The Mashie fairways and hybrids are so easy to hit well it’s almost criminal. That’s not to say they’ll make everyone a pro but they sure as heck take a lot of the apprehension out of swinging a fairway wood. To me these fairways almost play like hybrids, I’ve hit them from everywhere on the course and have yet to find a weakness. It’s pretty much changed how I play par 5’s by giving me a club that I can pull without fear of failure, even though to be honest that still happens occasionally. Hey, I’m not a scratch golfer here, I screw up too!

Irons. I’ve saved these for last for a reason. If I had to choose my favorite clubs from the Morgan Cup it would be tough, but it would have to be the 588 irons. I was very nervous about ordering these irons because they were so different from the irons I had played before. Thin soles and skinny top lines don’t typically scream forgiveness so I was quite apprehensive the first time out. I remember the first swings like they were yesterday; I met biggsy at Bears Paw in Naples for a little practice round. After we ogled these irons for a few minutes it was time to fling some divots! Instantly I was impressed, not by the looks or powerful thwack you get at impact. I was impressed with how much lateral forgiveness is packed into the club, contact out on the toe wasn’t killed nor were shots in on the heel of the club, minor losses but still playable. Out on the course my biggest miss is a little heavy and with the thin soles I was worried that might translate into laying the sod over a few balls. Happily none of that occurred (and still hasn’t), the sole is akin to a surgeons blade, cutting through the turf with precision. These irons are inspiring in so many ways but what catches your eyes is the amount of mass that sits behind the ball. How can you not have that “I’m going to put this one close” feeling when looking down at these beauties?

In closing, I want to thank Cleveland/Srixon for giving me their best the past few months and allowing a nobody from nowheresville Florida to feel like a somebody. Each time I’ve stepped on the first tee I’ve thought about that club designer working late on a new club or the R&D guy testing new clubs, all those steps were taken so that I could stand on the tee box and trust my equipment is going to perform flawlessly. That confidence in my equipment and sheer hard work on my part has taken my game to new places, recently dropping my best score by 7 strokes and lowering my handicap by 5 full points since May.

Thank you Cleveland for giving me equipment that works as hard as I do.

Nice post, IN! I am so psyched about this. I wonder how soon after the entry deadline will we see the start of the announcements of who will be playing....I'm sure it will come quicker than we think.

Wow, that is an absolutely incredible writeup SW. And we have you to thank for your part in bringing this awesome company back to the Morgan Cup.

I'm really excited to find out who will be playing as well. As someone who has been lucky enough to experience this once already, I am really looking forward to watching some MC rookies experience this for the first time. It will be an honor to share in their excitement and watch as they go through the journey.

Great write-up Danny! It was an honor to see first-hand how well the equipment worked for you. You definitely had a bag of equipment that worked well for your game.

as many have already stated, watching the Ryder Cup this weekend brought back some great memories of the Morgan Cup and also got me super pumped up for the upcoming 2013 Event as well. reading JB's Tour Van Event Recap this morning also got me excited about it as well.
it's gonna be amazing and we don't even know the half of it yet...

Just caught up with a lot of The Morgan Cup information - sounds like it'll be even more awesome this year. It was a blast watching the video streams of the event in the days following this year. Should be fun to see who gets this tremendous honor this year!

Wow, great post SW. Nice to see Cleveland/Srixon back again this year. 8 more lucky staffers.

Awesome post Danny. That's so great. Your bag is gorgeous and you hit everything in it so well.

Great post SW. It's awesome that you ended up with a complete bag that you like top to bottom.

SW, I could tell that was from the heart dude. Thank you for that, I truly enjoyed reading it.

Thanks for posting that SW. Cleveland has really impressed me over the past couple of years, and I am very glad they are returning to sponsor eight more individuals in 2013.

This is a post I’ve tried to write many times over, each time I get towards the end and it just doesn’t seem right. Well now I’m just going with the gut and letting it fly. From the moment I learned I would be sponsored by Cleveland/Srixon I was pretty ecstatic about the options I would have. It wasn’t about the equipment itself but more so the experience of building my own bag that I thought would suit me the best. So as I sit here roughly ten months afterwards I look back and it is pretty obvious I picked correctly.

When it comes to wedges there is one name that I’ve always associated with quality design and exceptional performance, Cleveland. When we learned last year that the 588 was making a comeback, as a forum I think we all collectively salivated. I was playing the original 588 at that time and knew what a great wedge it was so I was curious to see what, if any changes would be made. Soon after the sponsors were announced it was time to place an order for wedges, I went with a 3 wedge setup, something a little different than I had played with before but I wanted to try it out. I selected the Black Pearl finish and it’s been everything I expected. No glare whatsoever and when it starts wearing in, well I don’t know if there is a better looking finish on the market. In the time I’ve had these wedges my short game has grown by leaps and bounds, I used to be a bull in a china shop with a wedge but now I feel supremely confident in pulling off any shot around the greens. I’ve come to love these wedges like no other, sure the Indian has gotten better but he also put better arrows in the quiver.

Putters. Oh putters, how ye frustrate me. Admittedly I was the most nervous about this one than anything else we ordered. I had hoped to try out a few models here locally but that wasn’t happening since the local courses that carry NC didn’t have any models that suited me available. Ordering a putter blind is rather unnerving and makes for a hesitant few weeks until it arrives. Thanks to some reading around the forum and over on putterzone.com I was able to at least make an educated guess on the Connoisseur Perfecto. I’ve mentioned in that putter thread *crickets* how much I love this putter. Never, ever, have I had a flat stick that I have supreme confidence in. I used to stand over a 10’ putt and feel my knees knocking wondering if this putt would drop, now it’s point it, shoot it, and drain it.

Woods and Hybrids. To me this is where Cleveland dropped the hammer on the competition this year. The Black driver is hands down the best driver I’ve ever used. How they managed to thin the face to save weight and also boost ball speeds on off center hits was brilliant. The speed crown shape is very subtle and looks fantastic address, and when paired with blacked out head makes for an aggressive appearance. The aggression didn’t stop there for me. I consistently find myself farther down the fairway and for that matter, in more fairways since I’ve started playing this driver. Pairing it with the Miyazaki Black shaft has really unleashed the demon side of the Black. Instantly I saw my spin decrease, my carry increase and overall my driver became a weapon. I credit our very own TC and the fitters at Miyazaki for suggesting that shaft to me. The Black doesn’t stop there though, it continues into the fairway woods as well. I debated long and hard about carrying both the 3 and 5 woods in the Black line, in the end I went with just the 3 wood as an alternative to driver off the tee. This is such a fun club to hit, even though I don’t use it often enough. When I come to tight fairway or a hole that requires a shot off the tee instead of a swing I don’t hesitate to put one in play with the Black 3 wood. I played around with make a little different bag in my woods and hybrids, carrying a 5 & 7 wood in addition to a 5 hybrid gave me a unique setup that really shines me for where it matters, on the course. The Mashie fairways and hybrids are so easy to hit well it’s almost criminal. That’s not to say they’ll make everyone a pro but they sure as heck take a lot of the apprehension out of swinging a fairway wood. To me these fairways almost play like hybrids, I’ve hit them from everywhere on the course and have yet to find a weakness. It’s pretty much changed how I play par 5’s by giving me a club that I can pull without fear of failure, even though to be honest that still happens occasionally. Hey, I’m not a scratch golfer here, I screw up too!

Irons. I’ve saved these for last for a reason. If I had to choose my favorite clubs from the Morgan Cup it would be tough, but it would have to be the 588 irons. I was very nervous about ordering these irons because they were so different from the irons I had played before. Thin soles and skinny top lines don’t typically scream forgiveness so I was quite apprehensive the first time out. I remember the first swings like they were yesterday; I met biggsy at Bears Paw in Naples for a little practice round. After we ogled these irons for a few minutes it was time to fling some divots! Instantly I was impressed, not by the looks or powerful thwack you get at impact. I was impressed with how much lateral forgiveness is packed into the club, contact out on the toe wasn’t killed nor were shots in on the heel of the club, minor losses but still playable. Out on the course my biggest miss is a little heavy and with the thin soles I was worried that might translate into laying the sod over a few balls. Happily none of that occurred (and still hasn’t), the sole is akin to a surgeons blade, cutting through the turf with precision. These irons are inspiring in so many ways but what catches your eyes is the amount of mass that sits behind the ball. How can you not have that “I’m going to put this one close” feeling when looking down at these beauties?

In closing, I want to thank Cleveland/Srixon for giving me their best the past few months and allowing a nobody from nowheresville Florida to feel like a somebody. Each time I’ve stepped on the first tee I’ve thought about that club designer working late on a new club or the R&D guy testing new clubs, all those steps were taken so that I could stand on the tee box and trust my equipment is going to perform flawlessly. That confidence in my equipment and sheer hard work on my part has taken my game to new places, recently dropping my best score by 7 strokes and lowering my handicap by 5 full points since May.

Thank you Cleveland for giving me equipment that works as hard as I do.

This is wonderful insight SW. I thought Cleveland really brought it this year with their offerings and cannot wait to see what 2013 has in store.

Great post Danny. I spent the weekend looking at some of the new offerings for 2013. Cleveland looks to have some very nice stuff coming down the pipe

Thanks SW, I'm salivating even more than before after reading your post ;)

Awesome write-up. Really enjoyed reading it and seeing how you felt about your club experience.

SW, I could tell that was from the heart dude. Thank you for that, I truly enjoyed reading it.

Agreed, the first thing I thought was wow that sounded real!!! Excellent work SW!!!

Danny hit the nail on the head and most of what he said could have come from my mouth. The bag I have right now has seen me drop strokes and lower my index by a pretty big margin. I actually tried to put some new gear in the bag just to say I did after the MC, but all but the putter, which is now displayed on my wall, came back. I have a set up that fits my game very well and I've had a hard time finding anything that beats it.

Thanks for the kind words everyone, like I said I'd been sitting on that post for awhile and could never express it how it was worded in my heart. I wanted to give the next generation of Cleveland/Srixon staffers a taste of what is in store for them.

Great post Danny, loved the sentiment and I love that 8 new guys will get to enjoy the Cleveland/Srixon first class treatment this year....who knows..,might even be me!

Rumor has it, something pretty darn cool is coming up tonight at 8pm EST.

Well this is always fun.

Oh my....and again the forum will blow up in 3...2...1...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back