Ryder Cup Contest - THP & KBS & Official 2012 Ryder Cup Thread [Spoilers]

Good stuff looper. I want to go to a Ryder Cup some time in the future. That would be so much fun.

Looper when I left Valhalla in 08 I thought I just was part of the best sporting event I have ever been to. Do you feel the same?

Yeah; this week i felt like that. Even after the emotional high, I probably will put it in my top-3 of all time.

Was interested in all the comments about which USA players should take the blame and thought I'd look at the actual round scores for everyone for the Sunday.

Donald: -4
Watson: -2
Through 17 holes

Poulter: -2
Simpson: E
Through 18 holes

McIlroy: -5
Bradley: -2
Through 17 holes

Rose: -6
Mickleson: -4
Through 18 holes

Lawrie: -6
Snedeker: E
Through 15 holes

Colsaerts: +1
D Johnson: -2
Through 16 holes

MacDowell: +2
Z Johnson: E
Through 17 holes

Garcia: -2
Furyk: -1
Through 18 holes

Hanson: E
Dufner: -5
Through 18 holes

Westwood: -3
Kuchar: E
Through 16 holes

Kaymer: +1
Stricker: +1
Through 18 holes

Molinari: +1
Woods: +1
Through 18 holes

Thought it made interesting reading and I had to double check the Dufner and Stricker scores. Both look unusual because Dufner won 2 holes each by 2 shots and Stricker did the same on one hole. So even Mickleson lost he still played the second best singles round of the USA team, but was up against someone shooting 6 under. Stand out round for me was Lawrie, carding 6 under through 15 holes. Don't think anyone on the course could of beaten him on that form.

That's pretty interesting stuff. To say Strick and Tigger should have played better on Sunday is a massive understatement IMO.

That's pretty interesting stuff. To say Strick and Tigger should have played better on Sunday is a massive understatement IMO.

Agreed, that may be the only decision I really question on Love's part!!!

I know this is late but I just flew home from Chicago and attending my first RC. It was awesome and something I will never forget. "Regular" tour events will seem boring after attending this years RC. Went Sat and Sunday.

Sat on 8 tee yestd, right at the tee marker on the rope where all the 'inside the ropers' knelt during the shots.

Highlights there: Jordan and Lee Trevino hung out with us for a few mins while following the Rory/KB match. Amy Mick also talked to us, made sure she wasnt in our way, etc. Very nice lady and I can see how she is so popular on tour. We started an I-O-W-A chant for Zach, he loved it and tipped his cap to us. Dufner's wife is as cute as she looks on TV.

Lowlight: Webb hit his cold shank and man did it sound just awful. Tiger cussed when his teeball didnt release to the hole when it hit the green.

We then moved to greenside on 17. It was a trainwreck there. Phil's chip in was the loudest "Ohhhhhh" I've ever heard. Man could the Euros putt on that hole.

The US started the avalanche that eventually buried them yesterday when ZJ effectively took his team out of the 15th hole yesterday afternoon.

Agreed. This was the turning point in the tournament, but it appears nobody on the US side had any concern that it happened. They just assumed the margin was too large to overcome and stuck with their plan.
Right you are. Although therein lies the problem. The US side does not understand risk/reward from a match play perspective. Once the damage was done from what was in effect a stupid play, they had nowhere to go. There was no undoing it. For their part, ZJ and Dufner could only continue to play with renewed vigor maybe recognizing how much they had fed into their opponents momentum. But there really wasn't much of anything they could do having starting the avalanche falling.

You could tell from some of the posts here that some folks still now don't understand why that was such a stupid play to make from ZJ. But that is so like US play in the RC. We insist on playing RC the way we play golf generally, not caring to recognize the difference in the risk/reward relationship of making certain decisions on the golf course in match play vs stroke play.

ZJ's miss at 15 was not a matter of poor luck. He decided to make a risker play. That was a conscience decision, not a matter of luck. Frankly he decided to make a play were the reward at least in match play does not justify the risk except in certain circumstances of desperation. That was not where their team was coming to the 15th hole. In addition, if ZJ wanted to make that play, he should have allowed Dufner to tee off first and Dufner for his part should have and hopefully would have simply put a nice, safe, shot out there in the fairway establishing a solid position for his team and thus allowing ZJ to go for it. Instead, ZJ takes the risky play first, dumps his ball in the water and puts the weight of the world on Dufner's shoulders to carry the hole on his own. Dufner promptly crumbles under the weight of the world, making a poor tee shot and that match effectively ended on the 15th green for the US team. They took nothing out of that match and effectively started the avalanche that buried them the next day.

So please do not talk to me about the US either knowing how to adjust for match play or being willing to concede to the differences cause they just don't know how or won't. I will hasten to point out again that the guys that really know match play did not once attempt that particular play all day long on Saturday.

Looper when I left Valhalla in 08 I thought I just was part of the best sporting event I have ever been to. Do you feel the same?

This year was more fun than Valhalla. Many more Euro fans on Sunday, they are so dedicated and were prob 15% of the crowd.

Someone's gonna win some sweet shafts here, the Ryder Cup isn't over on THP yet! :D

Winner will be announced tonight at 8pm EST.

Wont be me....Good luck to all those that picked the Euro squad

I know who I'm picking in 2 years, lol. Thought this was in the bag this year, blaming this one on Poults.

Good luck to you guy's!

Good luck to all that picked the European squad. I like Lee Greenwood and American golf, meaning I am out of the running in this one.

Thanks KBS and THP!

Gregory Hines. Tapping.

Stupid Euros. I would have loved some KBS Shafts. Good luck all!

Wont be me....Good luck to all those that picked the Euro squad
Won't be me either. Dangit!

I know who I'm picking in 2 years, lol. Thought this was in the bag this year, blaming this one on Poults.

Good luck to you guy's!
I blame that cop who got Rory there on time!

Winning me some sweet KBS shafts would make the Euro comeback even more incredible.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Good luck everyone, this was an awesome contest. Thanks US for blowing my chances but congrats to the Euros for a great win!

Congrats in advance to the winner!

Yea, I'll be a soccer practice tonight so early congrats to the winner! I want some pics when you get these bad boys in!

Back