Ryder Cup Contest - THP & KBS & Official 2012 Ryder Cup Thread [Spoilers]

Just an amazing comeback, I do not like it but the euro's just played better golf.

Actually every one of us who are hardcore golf fans were the winners, this was a match for the ages and it was awesome to watch yesterday. Congrats to all of the players on a well played match and a special congratulations to the winning team. :thumb:

I've said it before in this thread and will say it again, I think a big factor in this win by Europe is the team spirit that they have, with everyone pulling for each other. I just don't get as much of a team vibe from the USA players. There was a great little feature on Sky last night where they had interviewed each player individually, but asked them all the same questions, with things like, "Who's the worst person to share a room with?" and "Who would look best in drag?" and so on. The sense of fun and friendship was really apparent and I wish that Sky would put that on their website for all to see.

Was too hammered to post yesterday! Watched the matches with about 300 folk at the golf hotel l'm staying at, what an atmosphere! That was the greatest piece of sport I've ever witnessed. Legend does not even come close to describing him! I didn't believe it was possible, but bloody hell, 12 heroes played for their lives and won!!!! So proud to be a golfer in Europe right now!! And in honour of IJP, today I'm rocking the tartans!!!!

Tapped via tapatalk

"The miracle of Medinah" sound pretty catchy too doesn't it :)

Almost as bad as the US losing this is having to hear Rick Riley talk about it on espn. He's such a dork.

So my betting record for the big competitions remains pretty good :D

Of the bets I placed before start of play, I won on -

3 of the 4 foursome matches.

Outright European win (thanks Tiger)

Poulter to be top point scorer

Molinari to hole the putt to win the cup (Did I say thanks Tiger?)

I'm all for letting yourself go and relaxing, but really Francesco, some things are best kept inside. Poor Lee Westwood....

Molinari.jpg

Actually every one of us who are hardcore golf fans were the winners, this was a match for the ages and it was awesome to watch yesterday. Congrats to all of the players on a well played match and a special congratulations to the winning team. :thumb:

DD, A great point for sure. The only hard thing was for the last 45 minutes, you could see the end coming. When it came down to the last 2 matches, most knew we were dead. What an emotional roller coaster!

I don't think we can overstate how amazing Poulter is in this format. The dude is like superman when it comes to Match Play. He is so amazing to watch when the holes are counted instead of strokes.

I'm all for letting yourself go and relaxing, but really Francesco, some things are best kept inside. Poor Lee Westwood....

Molinari.jpg

LMAO!!! Lee's face is priceless!

"The miracle of Medinah" sound pretty catchy too doesn't it :)

Really amused me at the end when Johnny Miller and Dan Hicks were offering up their competing taglines hoping one of them would stick.

I don't think we can overstate how amazing Poulter is in this format. The dude is like superman when it comes to Match Play. He is so amazing to watch when the holes are counted instead of strokes.

This is going to sound strange....but I don't think, over the 3 days, Poulter played his very best golf. Sure, 5 birdies to close out a point is something special, but I mean generally he can play better. He just has the measure of the US guys mentally. They step on to the first tee one down against Poulter.

This is going to sound strange....but I don't think, over the 3 days, Poulter played his very best golf. Sure, 5 birdies to close out a point is something special, but I mean generally he can play better. He just has the measure of the US guys mentally. They step on to the first tee one down against Poulter.

I think that only one US guy could have gone up against Poulter and beaten him one on one...and that's Dufner. The cool, calm, "I'm not concerned about anything" mentality would drive Poults nuts.

Molinari to hole the putt to win the cup (Did I say thanks Tiger?)

I turned the channel when Stricker pulled his second shot on 18. I thought it was Kaymer who made the putt that sealed it. I guess I was wrong there.

I turned the channel when Stricker pulled his second shot on 18. I thought it was Kaymer who made the putt that sealed it. I guess I was wrong there.

Kaymer sunk the putt to retain the cup, but not to win it outright. When Tiger missed that short putt on 18 and gave Molinari's putt to him, that was the one to win it outright by points.

Yep, I'd only win both my bets with an outright win. Would have got a big fat zero for a draw.

Keegan, Dustin and Duffner played some outstanding golf and should be extremely proud of their rolls in this years Ryder cup. ZJ did great by virtue of his Sunday play, IMHO. Beyond that I have little good to say about anyone else on the US squad. The Euro's got it done, congrats to them!

I hope the Euro's have a party and a good dinner cause they deserve it for sure. Hard as it is to admit I'd be proud of them. The US guys are losers and deserve nothing. No interviews, no signing autographs get the hell outta Chicago losers.

Not true. Phil went down the rope handing out tees, ball markers, etc.

Yep, I'd only win both my bets with an outright win. Would have got a big fat zero for a draw.

Paolo,
What was the the Europe To Win line over there? My buddy got them in the US at +150. I thought that was too high. My guess would've been Europe +110 or +120. Truly, though, it should've been an EVEN bet. And, maybe the the US gets some edge because it's a home game.

Paolo,
What was the the Europe To Win line over there? My buddy got them in the US at +150. I thought that was too high. My guess would've been Europe +110 or +120. Truly, though, it should've been an EVEN bet. And, maybe the the US gets some edge because it's a home game.

Honestly, I thought I'd read it wrong when I saw the odds. Felt like free money (although I may have said different on Saturday night). Not sure how those odds work out, is +150 basically 1.5 times your stake return? If so, that's what I got. 3 to 2, or 2.50 in decimal.

Honestly, I thought I'd read it wrong when I saw the odds. Felt like free money (although I may have said different on Saturday night). Not sure how those odds work out, is +150 basically 1.5 times your stake return? If so, that's what I got. 3 to 2, or 2.50 in decimal.

Correct: bet 1 to win 1.5. So, same odds. I guess that's what the internet does to these. I bet 20 years ago, odds on both sides of the pond would've been totally different.

Correct: bet 1 to win 1.5. So, same odds. I guess that's what the internet does to these. I bet 20 years ago, odds on both sides of the pond would've been totally different.

Good point, never really thought about that. Would have thought we might get slightly meaner odds on Europe, as the fans tend to bet on their own teams anyway.

So, obviously, my experience attending the Ryder Cup was bitter sweet. I loved *almost* every minute of it. Even attending the practice rounds was a load of fun. I thought I would throw together some of my highlights and downers of the experience:

Highlights:

* Watching the celebrities and past captains play together on Tuesday. Timberlake was way too serious and Bill Murray and Lee Trevino cracked me up.

* Seeing the pros up close and personal in a more laid back atmosphere during the practice rounds.

* Experiencing the emotional highs and lows associated with match play.

* Being part of an experience (even as a spectator) that is bigger than you.

* Listening to (and sometimes partaking in) terrible, alcohol induced singing of the national anthem and various other patriotic songs.

* Seeing Rory almost miss his Sunday tee time.

* Getting a high-five from President Bush Jr. on the 5th.

* Getting a knuckle bump from Jordan on the 12th.

* Getting great seats at the par-3 17th on Sunday and watching many of the groups come through and getting reactions from many of them as they walked by.

* Having Bubba's tee shot land inches from me twice on the 12th.

* Seeing Tiger, Stricker, Kaymer and one of the Mario Bros. become relavent on Sunday.

* Buying gear on Tuesday morning... and then seeing the store out of stock on those items by Wednesday.

* Seeing great 2nd shots into the par 5 10th and drives on the drivable par 4 15th.

* Hearing the Euros sing, "You got Big Mac, we have G-Mac".

Downers:

* Losing.

* Thinking you are going to pull it off still, until a span of 15-minutes of Euro chants across the entire golf course let you know that losing was inevitable.

* Watching terrible golf between Stricker and Kaymer and the ultimately losing during a terrible putt-off (though Kaymer's last putt was great).

* Seeing Rory get to the course late, not practice and still beat us.

* Seeing Tiger, Stricker, Kaymer and one of the Mario Bros. become relavent on Sunday.... when they should have been irrelavent.

* Long lines for food, beer and bathrooms.

* Terrible parking situations (took the train the remainder of the time).

* Following Zach Johnson and Dunfer for a couple holes, only to realize that they are the MOST boring duo EVER. Someone should tell them that high-fives are allowed.

* Hearing the annoying, but catcy, Euro chant over and over and over.

* The long train ride home after losing the match!

Looper when I left Valhalla in 08 I thought I just was part of the best sporting event I have ever been to. Do you feel the same?

Back