Golf Digest Hot List

This list is what is coming for the new year.

I always just look at this stuff to see some new pictures and read up on some things... but aside from that it's all taken with a grain of salt.

how can the Nickent 4DX not make the list in hybrids? seriously? Titleist / TM / Callaway make every list regardless of what they release

Yet the Nickent 3DX did DD??????

Yet the Nickent 3DX did DD??????

exactly... the 3dx is a nice club, don't get me wrong... but the 4dx is their highlight hybrid... and not to mention the 5dx (which I can't comment on because I have never hit it) but... they mention ratings based on ingenuity... how does the 5dx not fit there? wings on a hybrid? yeah, Nike made a square hybrid (that sucks) and Adams... other than that this is a club in its own league

That 3x is one awesome, awesome club. (Awesome.) In the future, they should just be safe and include the whole Nickent line. :wink:

I worked in the the cycling world at one time and we tried to get one of our bikes in a cycling mag quarterly shoot out. They would take 5 bikes, road test them and them give some ratings to them.

After much discussion it turned out they wanted 10k month in advertising spend for a bike to be included in a shoot out. We were a small company, that was not going to happen.

After doing some research thru industry contacts the rating pretty much fell along the line of who spent the most that quarter with the mag.

My local golf shop buddy told me that they can't get the hot list stickers on the clubs fast enough. As soon as the list comes out the people come looking to buy it. They had the 3dx in the clearance bag, today I saw them back in the normal rack.

sigh..........................................

are you saying that the 3dx rc has been included in the 2009 hotlist??? but the 4dx has not?

never hit a 3dx, imagine they are nice, but the 4dx is beautiful - way better than efforts like the cleveland xls hybid (which i junked in for the 4dx). whichever is nicer, the 4dx should be on that list, i have hit all the 2008 gold performers...none were close to the nickent

That is exactly right. THe 4DX was left out.

well thats stupid!!
dont suppose they even bothered testing the 5dx! lol

i hate it when brands get good marks for brands sake. Callaway (for me) seem to do this the most. Their big bertha 08 irons were good for their purpose....but all the other stuff seems vastly overpriced!! £300-£350 for a driver is silly, especially when other god brands do equal or better products for under £200.

*rant over

That is exactly right. THe 4DX was left out.

nickent = single most underrated golf company period!

i reckon you could be correct based on the one club i have. all my friends have hit it and admit it is the bomb.

if any of you USA dwellers can pick up their clubs quite cheap (below £50 for a hybrid) and dont mind posting them to the uk....let me know. It is the postage they want (and the potential tax as it isnt a gift) that doubles the cost at the mo.
-yes that is a serious request btw......and i kow i have only been on the forum 5 minutes!! enthusiam took over!

We will certainly look into it Paul.

One thing I really liked abou this year's Hot List was the details about shaft length on drivers. I was surprised at how many companies are putting shafts over 45" (PGA Tour average) in their clubs. The TM Burner even had a 46 1/4" shaft!

The only reason I know to do that is to boost claims about distance. IMO, it's just irresponsible. With all the talk about speeding up play, companies are making it more difficult for the average player (the very players who won't even know the shaft is too long for them) to keep the ball in play.

My $.02 - I think the TEE XCG-V will be the driver to watch out for this year. BTW they did include Snake Eyes putters in the review so it wasn't all bad...

It's weird on the golfsmith custom club fitting section, you can still only get the 3DX still not even the 4DX yet, and no sign of the 5DX at all. TGW has the 5DX, but no custom options.

I recommend getting it straight from www.nickentgolf.com
They have all of them.

Thanks JB. Do you know if they plan to add any custom shaft options. I hit the 5DX this weekend and while the stock shaft is not horrible, it just wasn't for me. I'd reshaft if I had to was just trying to avoid it. Not looking to buy soon, because I want to try some others that haven't come out yet but just trying to see what's out there.

I wont pose that in the Nickent subforum.

Was looking for something else and ran across this on the 2009 Hot List.

For the Gold Medal $170 PING iWi Putter:

NOT: Charging an extra $70 for the weight kit. Automatic access to what makes a product unique should be part of the deal.

Yet, no mention of that when discussing the Gold Metal $300 Titleist Scotty Cameron Studio Select. Not only that, you can't even buy the screw-in weights for the Studio Select over the counter. You have to send your putter into the Cameron Studio if you want to adjust your weights ($45 - $75 for weight change alone, and you can't keep the original weights; not to mention that you lose your putter for a minimum of 2 weeks plus shipping cost and time.)

Now, I love the Studio Select Newport 2, and I have no problem with Scotty Cameron taking advantage of the business he created, but how about a little consistency in these reviews Golf Digest? Instead of a "real" analysis of the "Not" to oppose the "Hot", we get this:

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica][/FONT]NOT: How can the modern icon of puttermaking not offer a lefty 2.6 or 2.7?

In other words, the Newport, 1.5, 2, and midslant are PERFECT? Puh-leez. I can't think of anything less critical to put in the "Not" column short of just leaving it blank. I mean, you actually compliment him in the criticism section. (Compliment hell, they anoint him with the title "Modern Icon of Puttermaking.") Why no mention of the extra cost for adjustability here when it is prominently mentioned for other putters?

Consistency, that's all I'm looking for here.

[/rant]

I'm sort of surprised he's not left handed himself. All of the most intelligent and creative people are, aren't they?

I'm sort of surprised he's not left handed himself. All of the most intelligent and creative people are, aren't they?

intelligent yes, creative not so much. good businessmen yes, unfortunately for the people who feel like they get ripped off unless they go to ebay.

intelligent yes, creative not so much. good businessmen yes, unfortunately for the people who feel like they get ripped off unless they go to ebay.

Wrong answer there. The right answer simply would have been yes. :banana:

Back