Callaway is ripping me off

mouser58

Reaction score
Handicap
I purchased 3 and 5 Squareway woods new with regular flex shafts. They were slicing bad, so I went to the course pro and he said I needed stiff shafts. I ordered new Advilla stiff shafts and had them installed. No heat was used. I used the clubs for 2 rounds (and you all know how many times you it your woods in 36 holes) and on the second day, my 3 wood wouldn't loft, so when I looked at the head it was spit at the bottom and coming apart. Now Callaway will not fix it due to the shaft change. The lady on the phone said that I could send it back and for $160, they'd send me a replacement. I'm mad, to say the least. These clubs are less than 3 months old. Anyone got any ideas or anyone that could possibly help

That is odd, because they normally have such great customer service. I would talk to whoever installed the shafts though, because I believe that is where your issue is.

That sux!! I hate those companies that pull that "you voided the warranty" crap to try to get out of replacing a defective product. I hope you get it sorted out!!

And yes, as JB said start with the people who reshafted, but likely they will not take responsibilty either.

Well, if you hadn't already contacted them (and, of course, if it REALLY is a defective product situation and not something else), then I would have said to reshaft the club with the original shaft and then contact them about warranty.

I would put the stock shaft back on it and try to swap it again.

Are those the composite heads? If no heat was used how was the glue softened up enough to get the shafts out? Definitely sounds like this is not Callaways problem to myself. Go after the people who reshafted the club as it appears they botched something up.

The shafts were cut off at the head, so no heat would have to be used (so as not to heat the head up) then hole cleaned out and new shafts installed. I discussed all of this with the installer, so we wouldn't have ant problems. Why would the 3 do this and not the 5. I actually use the 5 more at my home courses than the 3. So....... reinstalling the shaft is out. I would think they would take the head back and just send me a new head.

No, most companies will not do that. However I really think this is something done by the installer. In fact I am almost sure of it.

I was present when he did my clubs. In fact, I watched him do 9 clubs that evening and mine only one to fail. He called the other 4 guys and no problems.

I understand what you are saying. However you have to understand it from their side as well. They sold a club that was altered and now it does not work.

So... If my grips wear out and I put new ones on it and the shaft breaks, it was altered and the warranty is also voided???

Putting shafts on does not alter the club and is not taking it apart.

They HAVE to draw the line somewhere. And unlike re-gripping, shaft pulling/reshafting puts stresses on both the shaft and the clubhead. Done improperly, things like cracks in the clubhead can happen.

Have you asked them about exchanging it for a club in their preowned club section?

Ok. Thanks everyone. Looks like I go back to my $80 Knockoffs that are 2 years old and are still together until I save up enough $$$ to get some Cleveland Woods or something I can use for more than 36 holes..

I still think you should go back to the shaft guy. He obviously had something to do with it and is reflecting blame on this one.

Putting shafts on does not alter the club and is not taking it apart.

you mean "putting grips on", right?

Thanks RS, I did.

I still think you should go back to the shaft guy. He obviously had something to do with it and is reflecting blame on this one.

i agree .

Welcome to THP mouser.

Having replaced the shaft in five composite/metal heads I think the issue is Callaway. The bond between the Composite and Metal is a JB weld type of material, much stronger than epoxy. I drilled the first three and heat/pulled the second two due to the expensive nature of the shafts. Cooling jel along with a water soaked towel is enough to keep the head from splitting. with the heat from a torch.

If the guy truly drilled out the shafts then there is almost no way this is an installation issue unless he tried too big of a bit to start and it took a long time to drill it out and the heat somehow was so hot from dilling out the shaft. However with graphite this is almost an impossiblity.

I think Callaway screwed up here, but I do understand there position on it. TM has taken back two drivers that I caved in the face on that had aftermarket shafts in, but they are not a composite/metal.

Callaway needs "certified" installers so that they would be able to warranty something like this.

The crack is no where near the shaft. That is the problem. The sole of the club seperated from the face all the way across the bottom and the sole actually is curling back. And NO I did not hit a rock, or root. The face is not caved in either. There is no marks on the bottom of the head. As a matter of fact, the little blue sticker is still on the bottom of the head isn't even scuffed up. I held the head in my hand when he drilled out the graphite, so I KNOW there was no heat..

wow i agree with what chris said and im pretty sure it is a callaway thing too. unfortunately i dont have any callaway ties but if i did i would for sure fight this for you because it sounds like a lot of bs from their end, as much as i do like callaway

this sounds like it could go either way. on callaways side you modified what they offered as oem therefore I can see why they would possibly see the warranty being voided. On the other side the head cracking should really have no possible ties to the changing of shafts.

Its very like modifying an automobile. the manufacturer can void your warranty because of the slightest modification.

I actually agree with everything Chris said, however as a company like Callaway you have to understand their position. They have NO idea how something was installed and have to put a stand somewhere on what they take back. I also think caving in the face is certainly a driver head thing whereas a crack in the face right after its reshafted is a little different.

Back