Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

In case anyone was curious where this experiment stands - I have a quick (and, sorry, not too exciting yet) update...

I've ordered all the necessary pieces - I took advantage of the 3balls.com selection and ordered a pair of Classic 290s - one 9 degree with the Kusala Black 61 in stiff; one 12 degree with the C Kua 43 in stiff. Once they arrive (should be Monday), I'll bring them to my club builder, have the shafts swapped and the new 12 degree/Black combo cut down to a playing length of 44.25" and swing weighted to D4 or so.

Last edited:
I just sawed my shaft down to 44.5" (measured without the grip). My swing weight is at C5 and I don't know what to think about that. I am going to try it and I may add lead tape to get it to D0 if I don't like it.

Spent a while on the range yesterday with the 10.5 and Kusala White. I love the ball flight, a bit high but I am getting more carry that I can see and thats what I was after. Going out at 8am today for a round, will recap todays findings with the White later.

Classic paired with the Miyazaki Kusala White is perfect. I absolutely killed the ball today, I am seeing a lot more carry with a good high ball flight. Only missed a couple of fairways and by just a few yards when I did miss. I think this is finally my setup I have been trying to find.

Good deal, Vince! I know you've been experimenting here for a while now. I hit the Classic very well today. No big misses, a few misses that were playable, and a couple longer than normal shots. The wind wasn't so kind when it was right in my face, but that's to be expected.

Good deal, Vince! I know you've been experimenting here for a while now. I hit the Classic very well today. No big misses, a few misses that were playable, and a couple longer than normal shots. The wind wasn't so kind when it was right in my face, but that's to be expected.

Yeah its been a few months of shafts and even some different drivers. Think I have it now.

Glad your hitting it well to man, just a good driver that the mass's need to try out.

I need a new driver, anyone want a CC 270 with an NV 60R?

I just sawed my shaft down to 44.5" (measured without the grip). My swing weight is at C5 and I don't know what to think about that. I am going to try it and I may add lead tape to get it to D0 if I don't like it.

Easy fix. Pull the shaft and throw an 8-10g weight in the tip. That should get you back up to D range.

I let Siri do my THP'ing on my iPhone 5

Last edited:
Easy fix. Pull the shaft and throw an 8-10g weight in the tip. That should get you back up to D range.

I let Siri do my THP'ing on my iPhone 5

Good idea. Also, I love your avatar except for that ugly orange color and silly T logo.

I've taken the Classic to the range a couple times. Pretty impressed so far. Very different from the J40!

Setup : 10.5* w/Miyazaki Kusala White 61 xstiff

Why?
I play a high launch set up in the J40 and thought lets try in the Classic. Both are low spinning heads too. I went xstiff because I compared Flex codes of DI-6 and Kusala White and the x seemed like it would be a better fit.

First Impressions:
I like the sound/feel of the classic. It's a little deeper than the J40. What I love is at address they both look like smaller heads. I like that.

It seems to flatten out my ball flight a lot quicker and does not climb as high up as the J40. It does roll out more though! By a wide margin in fact. I reckon it's more the xstiff shaft as I was hitting the Kusala White/Classic combo much higher at the outing n

I can't wait to get this on the course as my driving woes are starting to clear up. The xstiff shaft has given me a little more control and I don't think I've sacrificed distance.

Tmex, once you get really used to setting up behind the ball with the Classic, it's a hard thing to live without.

I actually had the worst driving day of my Classic career today. It was massively frustrating.

That's pretty impressive Tmex, you blistered that J40 man.

Are you any gains in distance or is just more penetrating with better chase?

Edit: Nevermind that last question, I can't read!

Tmex, once you get really used to setting up behind the ball with the Classic, it's a hard thing to live without.

I actually had the worst driving day of my Classic career today. It was massively frustrating.

It sets up so nice dude. Frames the ball perfectly. How were your misses?

SW it didn't carry as far I don't think. Hard to tell with range balls but my shots are pretty consistent when I connect and I didn't see it carry to the same spot as my J40. But it did roll out more. I'm thinking they might be pretty tight distance wise when all is taken into consideration. I'm not sure I'd say more penetrating because the J40 is a cannon but definitely flattened out quicker. With more time I'm sure ill see the Classic ball flight shape itself a little more.

Good to hear your working out your driving woes Tmex. I snagged a Classic 310 on Saturday. Hit it yesterday quite well on the range. But I think I upset the Anser as it misbehaved a little today.

That's pretty impressive Tmex, you blistered that J40 man.

Are you any gains in distance or is just more penetrating with better chase?

Edit: Nevermind that last question, I can't read!

Lol I replied anyway. Haha

Good to hear your working out your driving woes Tmex. I snagged a Classic 310 on Saturday. Hit it yesterday quite well on the range. But I think I upset the Anser as it misbehaved a little today.

The 310 setup is amazing Kmac. I game a 310 TL for some time. What ball flight did you see out of it?

It sets up so nice dude. Frames the ball perfectly. How were your misses?

SW it didn't carry as far I don't think. Hard to tell with range balls but my shots are pretty consistent when I connect and I didn't see it carry to the same spot as my J40. But it did roll out more. I'm thinking they might be pretty tight distance wise when all is taken into consideration. I'm not sure I'd say more penetrating because the J40 is a cannon but definitely flattened out quicker. With more time I'm sure ill see the Classic ball flight shape itself a little more.

My miss was a piss weak fade dude. Haven't seen that at all with this driver. I don't reckon my head was in it at all today for some odd reason. Just a bad day off the tee box. I laced everything else though.

They always know when something's there on the bench bro.

My miss was a piss weak fade dude. Haven't seen that at all with this driver. I don't reckon my head was in it at all today for some odd reason. Just a bad day off the tee box. I laced everything else though.

They always know when something's there on the bench bro.

Man I've been there! Like a wise man told me, just as long as you can get an iron on your second shot.

They always know.

The 310 setup is amazing Kmac. I game a 310 TL for some time. What ball flight did you see out of it?

I saw a bombass ball flight dude. Like mid missiles. Awesome distance too.

Lol I replied anyway. Haha

Lol and I 'preciate it. Kinda surprised about the flattening out quicker. I've never heard that in reference to the White, of course you all man with the x.

Man I've been there! Like a wise man told me, just as long as you can get an iron on your second shot.

They always know.

Yeah, it was just frustrating man. I've loved this driver from the get go and I guess it's allowed to act up occasionally. I just hate when a club doesn't work like I'm used to it. I reckon I was just out of tempo and getting steep but I don't know.

I'm glad you like yours. At that price, and with that shaft, that's a no brainer buddy.

Yeah, it was just frustrating man. I've loved this driver from the get go and I guess it's allowed to act up occasionally. I just hate when a club doesn't work like I'm used to it. I reckon I was just out of tempo and getting steep but I don't know.

I'm glad you like yours. At that price, and with that shaft, that's a no brainer buddy.

Wtf dude. Not getting to right side today? Were you sweating what do for your videos? I can't remember you hitting high short fades that much.

I saw a bombass ball flight dude. Like mid missiles. Awesome distance too.

Kmac I think an on course shoot out needs to happen! Mid missiles are good man. Tons of roll lol.

SW yeah man I was actually disappointed at first. At the outing I hit the White combo and it was a high launch bomber. I bet it being in xstiff has a good deal of blame lol. But it's a lot easier to control for me. I'd never say I have a fast swing, but I put a lot into it I guess.

It really was Luke. I couldn't be happier right now. Will it supplant the J40? Most likely no unless that ballflgith gets higher. but its always fun to hit new stuff. You'll be bombing drives your next round out man.

Wtf dude. Not getting to right side today? Were you sweating what do for your videos? I can't remember you hitting high short fades that much.

Man, lol, I was just not staying down and thru the ball. It's always the scrambles that do this to me, especially when there's great tee shots out there. I try to go too HAM I'm sure. One of the bad parts of going last I reckon.

I've gotten to spend a little time with my Classic and I don't think the shaft is right for me. Seems like I have to take a really easy swing or I lose the ball left or right. I would love to try some of the Kusala's but I'm not sure anywhere around me has them available to hit.

Is there a place online I can put some info in to see which color Kusala it recommends?

Back