Is Fred Couples a Hall of Famer?

Should John Daly get in? He was a game changer and brought 1000s to the game of golf. Ou know the idiots that yell, you da man. That phrase came about when he won the PGA, at least that is the first time I heard it. Anyway, he has two majors which means he is may get in. Based on how will be getting in and who is there, FC is a stretch. But he did qualify

I was ready to jump right on the "yes" bandwagon here but thats a really good point Freddie. Are those extra tour wins worth more than 2 majors from Daly? Tough call...

I would say yes too but I do wonder if I let the fame part cloud my judgement.
Serious question. What is/are the criteria for the HOF? He even said in his press conference that he won the popularity contest. I think he should have made it in. Maybe not first ballot, but I think it would have been hard to leave him out completely.

Serious question. What is/are the criteria for the HOF? He even said in his press conference that he won the popularity contest. I think he should have made it in. Maybe not first ballot, but I think it would have been hard to leave him out completely.

Nevermind, just saw SW's post on the criteria. Skim alert! I think he should have been voted in based on his body of work.

I was ready to jump right on the "yes" bandwagon here but thats a really good point Freddie. Are those extra tour wins worth more than 2 majors from Daly? Tough call...

As I said before...

But Daly's past struggles with substance abuse, and his well-known temper on the golf course, would be something that HOF voters would pay attention to. Even if he has reformed his drinking habits, he still in this past year has shown his childishness on the golf course when he isn't playing well (Think the Australian Open this year when he got banned from the Aussie PGA for his stormy withdrawal after hitting 7 balls in the water on one hole). Daly isn't an ambassador to the game. Couples is.

But Daly's past struggles with substance abuse, and his well-known temper on the golf course, would be something that HOF voters would pay attention to. Even if he has reformed his drinking habits, he still in this past year has shown his childishness on the golf course when he isn't playing well (Think the Australian Open this year when he got banned from the Aussie PGA for his stormy withdrawal after hitting 7 balls in the water on one hole). Daly isn't an ambassador to the game. Couples is.

I'm not lobbying for Daly but the rules say nothing about being a drunk or an arse. He meets the criteria with two majors and 10 years on your. He puts but in sets and sells tickets. He still makes money for the tour.
Vijay was all but run off the European tour for cheating allegation and is pretty surly off the course but he is in the hall. DD is or was an Arse off the course but may get in.
You have guys in the hall with 8 majors and mid double digit wins. An now we have silky smooth FC in the hall with one major. Kinda a big fall off if you ask me.

When i hear the name Fred Couples , I think HOF . Not on his records but for what he does for the sport.

Do you think Dave Stockton should be in the Golf Hall of Fame?

Do you think Dave Stockton should be in the Golf Hall of Fame?

I'm going to say no, but when you consider his achievements in the era he did it, it's a pretty impressive career.

I'm not lobbying for Daly but the rules say nothing about being a drunk or an arse. He meets the criteria with two majors and 10 years on your. He puts but in sets and sells tickets. He still makes money for the tour.
Vijay was all but run off the European tour for cheating allegation and is pretty surly off the course but he is in the hall. DD is or was an Arse off the course but may get in.
You have guys in the hall with 8 majors and mid double digit wins. An now we have silky smooth FC in the hall with one major. Kinda a big fall off if you ask me.

I guess I just don't see it that way seeing as he's won two majors on the Champions Tour and two Players' Championships (widely acknowledged to be the Tour's 5th major).

I'm going to say no, but when you consider his achievements in the era he did it, it's a pretty impressive career.

I dunno. I see 2 majors in a tough era. 10 wins on tour. 3 senior majors and 14 senior tour wins. Not to mention the success he's had off the course as an instructor. I think he's a good candidate for the HOF

I guess I just don't see it that way seeing as he's won two majors on the Champions Tour and two Players' Championships (widely acknowledged to be the Tour's 5th major).
I guess I just totally disagree. Its the hall of fame! Not the hall of the very good. If you let guys like Freddy in it just waters down the rest.

I dunno. I see 2 majors in a tough era. 10 wins on tour. 3 senior majors and 14 senior tour wins. Not to mention the success he's had off the course as an instructor. I think he's a good candidate for the HOF

I would be fine with him being voted under the legends category.

I guess I just totally disagree. Its the hall of fame! Not the hall of the very good. If you let guys like Freddy in it just waters down the rest.

Although the greats are already in, sans one guy. We're entering an era where the entrants won't be greats like those who went before them, but they'll be very good.

I think wins and majors are a part of the criterion, but before I knew how to play golf, I knew who Fred Couples was. His name is synonymous with golf, just ask the flock of married women that follow him around the course :) But truthfully, in terms of notoriety he should get in, but on the other hand there will be a slew of golfers with the same credentials that wont get in.

I think the payers on tour respect him too. Its hard to say. The golf hall of fame is probably grasping at whoever they can get to join. The likes of Palmer, nicklaus and floyd are slowly fading away.

Blows my mind that Freddie waters down the hof ....

You will find more and more as the years go on we will have less and less multiple (3+) major winners. Because the talent is more vast and spread out.

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

Kinda deserves it but if he's getting in with that watered down cv then Monty should get in within 10 years on account of his amazing European tour records and 5 runners up in the majors plus one hell of a Ryder Cup record. Probably under legend category

I love Freddie, but I don't think his record is deserving of HOF status.

Also, I don't think there's enough room for Monty in there. They'd have to move some furniture.

I love Freddie, but I don't think his record is deserving of HOF status.

Also, I don't think there's enough room for Monty in there. They'd have to move some furniture.

In all fairness, he did have a record deserving. He met the criteria if I remember correctly from when they were talking about it on Morning Drive.

In all fairness, he did have a record deserving. He met the criteria if I remember correctly from when they were talking about it on Morning Drive.

Sorry, my mistake. I meant to say that a record of his calibre is not HOF worthy to me. I guess that's more like I have a problem with the qualifying criteria than the actual selection. I'm certainly not going to be unhappy to see him in there.

I like ole Freddie but I'm really torn on this. Statistically I think there are a few more deserving, but when it comes to professionalism and Integrity that is a PGA player, I think he represents well. If criteria was the swing, then he gets my vote fast lol.

Here are some things to think about:

1. The World Golf Hall of Fame is a business. It takes money to run and people buying tickets each year.
2. The biggest way the HOF stays in the public eye is by having an induction ceremony EACH year.
3. Els got in last year, Phil got in this year. Tiger will get in as soon as he turns 40. The pickings are going to slim up after that it your looking for only guys with 20+ wins and multiple majors. You'd be looking at quite a gap before someone else would meet those standards.
4. To keep #1 and #2 above happening players like Freddy, DL3, Fuzzy, O'Meara, etc, are going to have to get in.

A suggestion to "balance" this out would be for the Hall to develop a Legends wing for the like of Jack, Arnie, and the rest of the guys with 4+ majors and 30+ wins.

I'm always surprised by the love for Freddie's swing. Great tempo no doubt, but hardly a classic swing. And it ruined his back.

Kevin

My answer would be no.

No doubt Freddy is and was a great talent but I just think that it is supposed to be the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of the very good and very popular. I think everyone loves Freddy but to me his cv just doesn't stand up. If Freddy get's in based on those numbers does that mean players like David Duvall (13 PGA tour wins, 1 Major), Mark O'Meara (16 PGA tour wins, 2 Majors), Ian Woosnam (2 PGA tour wins, 29 Euro Tour wins, 1 Major), Fuzzy Zoeller (10 PGA tour wins, 2 Majors), should all espect to be inducted as well? I know Freddy fits the criteria, but then maybe there is something wrong with the criteria.

Freddy said it himself:

“Today’s a great deal for me. A lot of people respect my game. I don’t consider myself to be a great player, but I’m a good player,"

Good players deserve respect and recognition...but only the great players deserve to be in the Hall (and I know Freddy isn't the only one who got it on a rather thin cv).

I'm always surprised by the love for Freddie's swing. Great tempo no doubt, but hardly a classic swing. And it ruined his back.

Kevin

Amazing tempo. I agree about the mechanically not perfect part. Was talking to my coach about it and I showed him that I tend to make really good contact when I hit a ball with a "Freddie" swing. He told me to forget trying to emulate Freddie. He said he has spoken to him about his swing and that Freddie himself does not consider his swing a sound one.

Here's the breakdown with some interesting names

CandidateVoting Results (%)
Fred Couples
51 %​
Ken Venturi
38​
Davis Love III
38​
Mark O'Meara
36​
Tony Lema
28​
Macdonald Smith
24​
Fuzzy Zoeller
22​
Dave Stockton
21​
Miller Barber
13​
Don January
13​
Harold (Jug) McSpaden
10​
Jim Furyk
8​
David Duval
1​
Steve Stricker
1​
Loren Roberts
0​

Based on the percentages below I'd say popularity plays a lot into HOF voting. If you look at pure PGA tour wins then Marke O'Meara and Davis Love III have more than Freddy Couples.

Over the next few years I'm sure we will see the following players in the HOF: Jim Furyk, Cory Pavin and Kenny Perry.

I'd say marginal HOFs are:

David Duval - All of his wins happened within a 5 year period..then he basically dropped off the map.
Calvin Peete - 12 wins..including Players Championship. Vardin Trophy in 1984. Before Tiger he was the most successful African American on the PGA tour. Another interesting fact is that he didn't start playing golf until he was in his 20s.

Back