How to incorporate a major swing change during the season?

Jericho

Albatross
Reaction score
Handicap
First and foremost, I live in Florida thus play year round (no offseason whatsoever).

I have always been a hitter (hit the ball with my arms and hands) however after becoming increasingly frustrated with not being able to stop flipping without using bandaids, I have decided to try a completely different release (CP). This type is a "hands free" release and the clubface squares via pivot with no hand manipulation. I literally went to the range twice and practiced chipping and 9-to-3 only. Took it to the course Saturday and Sunday and really only used the 9-to-3 swing with the irons and shot 87 and 85 (with over 40 putts...meaning the ball striking wasn't the issue). I'm liking it so far but also realize that using it on the course before really understanding what I'm doing it a bandaid and not likely to last.

Since this is a completely different type of swing, how would you recommend I make a swing change while playing every week?

1) Stop playing for a few months and really build the foundation on the range AND THEN take it to the course?
2) Keep playing my normal way while practicing the change on the range and then just make the change one day?
etc...

Thanks

Personally, I think it's best to shut it down completely and take it to the course gradually. That obviously works well here since we have winter from late october to early march. Discipline is huge, so that when you do go onto the course you don't fall back. Focus has to be on doing the same thing you've done on the range, results be damned.

I don't know what works best for you - do you want progress or enjoyment? Maybe the latter isn't feasible without the former?

Personally, I think it's best to shut it down completely and take it to the course gradually. That obviously works well here since we have winter from late october to early march. Discipline is huge, so that when you do go onto the course you don't fall back. Focus has to be on doing the same thing you've done on the range, results be damned.

I don't know what works best for you - do you want progress or enjoyment? Maybe the latter isn't feasible without the former?

While I probably agree about shutting it down and building the foundation, I can see the conversation now about when I start declining the weekly invite lol.

Part of me just needs a break because here are the 2 guys I play with- Person A is a low single handicap who plays only (no practice and rarely hits more than 4-5 balls prior to a round) doesn't care about golf outside of playing once a week. Person B is a high single handicap who enjoys golf but doesnt practice and uses physics to make his corrections. Then there's me who is a mid-upper cap player who practices almost daily, hits the range multiple times per week, studies swing mechanics/theories, studies the history of golf, gets to the course an hour early...It gets frustrating when I am bigger, stronger, a better athlete, and put in a god-awful amount of work yet these guys seem to just "get it".

Shutting it down in my mind does not include not playing once a week. Shutting it down more means to focus on the process (oh, how Tiger-esque) and taking those rounds for what it is: a place where you see where you are game-wise and swing-wise. An extension of the driving range rather than a different place altogether.

As long as you are fine with the fact that things probably won't work as well on the driving range, coupled with the mindset that you won't stray from what you're working on for a short-term fix...then I see no problem.

Some time on the course is probably needed so you don't become a range pro.

The only thing I think I know is that you cannot be switching back and forth between two swings. You have to be completely committed to one swing or the other.

It gets frustrating when I am bigger, stronger, a better athlete, and put in a god-awful amount of work yet these guys seem to just "get it".

That's one of those neat things about golf. Proper swing mechanics will always trump 'bigger and stronger' unless of course the bigger and stronger player employs those same mechanics. Look at Rickie Fowler. He's a little guy with good mechanics.

As for the original question, I've faced the same dilemma myself when working on the biggest flaw in my swing which was the move from casting at the top to creating lag. I tried to work it into my regular routine of practice and playing and while I eventually got where I wanted, I know for a fact that if I had stopped the rounds on the course and just focused on the swing I would have made much faster progress but I was like you where I had regular playing partners and wanted to continue playing with them.

While I probably agree about shutting it down and building the foundation, I can see the conversation now about when I start declining the weekly invite lol.

Part of me just needs a break because here are the 2 guys I play with- Person A is a low single handicap who plays only (no practice and rarely hits more than 4-5 balls prior to a round) doesn't care about golf outside of playing once a week. Person B is a high single handicap who enjoys golf but doesnt practice and uses physics to make his corrections. Then there's me who is a mid-upper cap player who practices almost daily, hits the range multiple times per week, studies swing mechanics/theories, studies the history of golf, gets to the course an hour early...It gets frustrating when I am bigger, stronger, a better athlete, and put in a god-awful amount of work yet these guys seem to just "get it".

I feel (and share) your pain Jericho. I am an infinitely better athlete than my best friend but he's the better golfer...at least for now. Frustrates the hell out of me but it is what it is. Just like we take one shot at a time, I think we have to stay focused on our game and being the best player we can be, not our friends or playing partners. And remember that this is supposed to be fun :)

The only thing I think I know is that you cannot be switching back and forth between two swings. You have to be completely committed to one swing or the other.

^^^ That ^^^ Very true.

I believe you should stop playing competitively for 3 months and begin practicing 4 to 5 days a week working on your fundamental swing changes.

My advice is: 1) Download "The Encyclopedia Texarkana". 2) Download all "Dan Whitaker" YouTube Videos, Setup, Pivot, Grip Etc. and 3) Establish a weekly practice schedule that focuses on these fundamentals.

4) Open a new Savings Account and Call it: "This Money Was Theirs, Now It's Mine"!

Last edited:
I believe you should stop playing competitively for 3 months and begin practicing 4 to 5 days a week working on your fundamental swing changes.

My advice is: 1) Download "The Encyclopedia Texarkana". 2) Download all "Dan Whitaker" YouTube Videos, Setup, Pivot, Grip Etc. and 3) Establish a weekly practice schedule that focuses on these fundamentals.

4) Open a new Savings Account and Call it: "This Money Was Theirs, Now It's Mine"!

Excellent post!!

Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.

Personally, I'd look at your game from 100-yards in. I know that's my liability.

I played not to long ago with a a guy with an UGLY swing. We started on a par 4. He sliced his first shot into the rough. The swing was so ugly I thought, "this is going to be a long day."

I cranked a drive down the middle about 250. He then pulled his next shot into the left rough, short of the green. I'm feeling really good about myself now.

I then thin my approach shot over the green. Trying to make a perfect pitch up, I leave it short. I chip on, frustrated, and run it 15-feet past.

He puts his ball on the green, maybe 10-feet away. He makes a good roll, flirts with a par, but taps in for a bogey.

I make an awful putt, leaving myself 5 feet or so. I miss the come-backer and tap in for my triple.

That hole showed me where I need to focus if I want to improve.

Back