The iPhone Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love the guys that say that the iPhone 5 isn't worth upgrading and is nothing special. These are the same ones that are hailing the S3 and ones like it. I agree that it's nothing that crazy good, but let's compare here.

The Galaxy S2 to S3 upgraded to a slightly larger screen, faster processor, didn't upgrade durability at all, upgraded battery a tad, added a few cool little gestures you can do, and changed button configuration. It also upgraded the OS, which by the way I have been absolutely distraught at how poorly it flows. Glitches, lag, and screen freezes at every turn.

The iPhone 4s to iPhone 5 upgraded durability, upped screen size a tad, faster processor, added some cool new little gestures you can do, upgraded the OS, upgraded speakers, upgraded battery a tad.

It sounds like the list is pretty similar but for the disparity in expectations between the two companies I'm guessing, it's enough for Samsung but a letdown for Apple?

And as far as the screen size goes my hands are tight in an XL golf glove (huge hands) and I still find it to be a pain in the @$$ to text on this S3. There's a reason they are keeping the size down, folks.

Tapping while I work, on my Galaxy S3.
Don't let the haters get ya down Colt! We will stand together!

I love the guys that say that the iPhone 5 isn't worth upgrading and is nothing special. These are the same ones that are hailing the S3 and ones like it. I agree that it's nothing that crazy good, but let's compare here.

The Galaxy S2 to S3 upgraded to a slightly larger screen, faster processor, didn't upgrade durability at all, upgraded battery a tad, added a few cool little gestures you can do, and changed button configuration. It also upgraded the OS, which by the way I have been absolutely distraught at how poorly it flows. Glitches, lag, and screen freezes at every turn.

The iPhone 4s to iPhone 5 upgraded durability, upped screen size a tad, faster processor, added some cool new little gestures you can do, upgraded the OS, upgraded speakers, upgraded battery a tad.

It sounds like the list is pretty similar but for the disparity in expectations between the two companies I'm guessing, it's enough for Samsung but a letdown for Apple?

And as far as the screen size goes my hands are tight in an XL golf glove (huge hands) and I still find it to be a pain in the @$$ to text on this S3. There's a reason they are keeping the size down, folks.

Had I been using the S2 and upgraded to the S3, I would agree with you. I wouldnt have upgraded from the S2 to the S3, just as I dont see a point in upgrading from the 4S to the 5, not much changed.

Switching from the 4S to the S3 was a huge leap, and gave me the features I wanted in a phone at the current time.

Had I been using the S2 and upgraded to the S3, I would agree with you. I wouldnt have upgraded from the S2 to the S3, just as I dont see a point in upgrading from the 4S to the 5, not much changed.

Switching from the 4S to the S3 was a huge leap, and gave me the features I wanted in a phone at the current time.

same here. I would not have jumped from the S2 to the S3(I don't think). I don't see a reason to jump from the 4s to the 5 ATM. But I'd go from the 3gs or 4 to the 5 because there are some really good improvements.

I'm pretty sure I'm going from the 4 to the 5. Lots of big improvements. Too bad I have to wait until February.

4s to 5 isn't worth it. But one thing that apple does so well is make their new OS available to previous models. And it works well.

It'll feel like a new phone that you've had for a while. Not necessarily a bad thing IMO

So did it ever come out if the OS6 was going to be available to the 1st generation iPad? I didn't see it listed in the slide show.......errrrr.

I'm pretty sure I'm going from the 4 to the 5. Lots of big improvements. Too bad I have to wait until February.

At that point, you're stuck in the weird upgrade point. Wait 6 months and get the 5s (likely name btw) or get the 5?

I'm really wanting to like this S3 War. I don't know what it is with me and androids but I just seem to be having tons of problems that others don't seem to have.

I haven't been THP'ing much over the last several days because I always do it over my phone. Every time I try to log into Tapatalk though it takes literally minutes for every Page to upload and once again literally over half the time it just gives me an 'unable to contact host" error. Never once had this problem with the iPhone while at work. THP'ing is over 50 percent of what I do on my phone so this is driving me up a wall!

Agree, from the 4 to the 5 it's a large enough upgrade to make it worth it, but like others have said and I'll agree the 4s to the 5 probably isn't enough of a gap, especially with ios 6 being available for it.

Now the question becomes what case should I get for the 5???

I have an otterbox now and love it, they have one listed for the 5 under their reflex series with a clear color, I've always wanted a protective case in clear:
apl7-new-iphone-5-q6-2.jpg

Now when I was looking for a case for my 4 I really liked the look of the lifeproof case but they just took too long to release it, they have a notification setup on their website saying they will be doing a 5 version. Anyone with a lifeproof on their iphone now recommend getting one?

I had the otterbox reflex case for a while and liked it alot. Now I have an incipio slider incase.

I may be walking away from the iPhone with the new design. Just got grief from other user about not liking new design

At that point, you're stuck in the weird upgrade point. Wait 6 months and get the 5s (likely name btw) or get the 5?

Yeah it's so annoying. I'll be sitting there in February with rumors about a 5s coming in a few months, so do I wait for that or just get the 5 that's already been out for a couple of months. It's like the twilight zone.

I like the way it looks. Might go back to the all black so that my phone matches my PING Anser woods and i20 hybrid! :alien:

I may be walking away from the iPhone with the new design. Just got grief from other user about not liking new design
The Cnet blogcast made a good point about these smart phones while the iphone 5 unveil was going on. They said that none of these smart phones are the end all be all of smart phones. One does this better than that and vise versa. They are all different and people just need to find which one suits their needs the best. One shouldn't get offended by saying, "Well, the iphone isn't going to be for me because......." So be it. There is not a smart phone that does it all. If it did, then they should call it a computer.

I love the new design! I can't wait to pick mine up on the 21st!

At least $20 is my guess. Wouldn't be surprised if it is closer to $30-40. It's what Apple does.

It's what they have to do to get places to carry their products that aren't making money off your phone contract, ala Best Buy.
Margin on a iPhone: $4
Margin on a iPhone Case/Cable: 400% or more

Siri sucks! I hate her.

You deserve a hug from both a kitten and a unicorn at the same time for that.

So did it ever come out if the OS6 was going to be available to the 1st generation iPad? I didn't see it listed in the slide show.......errrrr.

iOS 6 will not come to the 1st GEN. iPad

I actually think that all of the little updates make a switch from the iPhone 4 or earlier worth it. 4s, only if you really want it.

So glad I'll be able to update my ipad2 when I'm not too cheap to buy one.

Siri is great for what I use her for:

Me: Remind me to call *insert customer* on this date/this time
Siri: ok

Me: Remind me to stop at the store after work

I guess I try to use it as a personal assistant and not a knowledge bank b/c she sure isn't that. For what I use her for, I have little complaint. That being said, I use her about once a week, which isn't much. I did ask her where the cheapest gas was once when I was out of town and she just found the closest gas station.

Siri is great for what I use her for:

Me: Remind me to call *insert customer* on this date/this time

Me: Remind me to stop at the store after work

I guess I try to use it as a personal assistant and not a knowledge bank b/c she sure isn't that. For what I use her for, I have little complaint. That being said, I use her about once a week, which isn't much. I did ask her where the cheapest gas was once when I was out of town and she just found the closest gas station.

I bet TC makes siri call him master

I bet TC makes siri call him master

Nah, I'm not some sort of cell phone junky, it's just helpful reminding me of things when I need it.

Nah, I'm not some sort of cell phone junky, it's just helpful reminding me of things when I need it.

I bet, siri looks awesome, I still haven't upgraded from the 3gs I got a while back but if the iphone 5 isn't as cool as it looks, I'll snag the 4s for the reduced price.

I bet, siri looks awesome, I still haven't upgraded from the 3gs I got a while back but if the iphone 5 isn't as cool as it looks, I'll snag the 4s for the reduced price.

I have the 4s and don't have many complaints. My email is sync'd, I have tapatalk, I can manage my FF team and I have some music on it and it can text and make phone calls. I don't really need much else to be honest

I have the 4s and don't have many complaints. My email is sync'd, I have tapatalk, I can manage my FF team and I have some music on it and it can text and make phone calls. I don't really need much else to be honest

yeah I'm still fine with my 3gs so the only advantage of the 4s would be the camera and the personal assistant to keep me company on those long boring business trips lol

yeah I'm still fine with my 3gs so the only advantage of the 4s would be the camera and the personal assistant to keep me company on those long boring business trips lol

This is my first iPhone so I really don't know if it's much greater or not. The navigation/maps sucks on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back