Jschiele

Reaction score
Handicap
High
I have not been hitting my 3 wood off the fairway well. When i do hit flush i get about 230 yards. My next club would be my 19* hybrid, which i hit about 210 yards. Would a 4 wood be easier to hit off the fairway? And would i loose alot if yards compared to my 3 wood?

Maybe. The slight difference in loft and the shorter shaft definitely helped me vs a 15* 3 wood. I hit the 4 wood I had further than any other 3.

I would look at the J40 4 wood and even though it is a 3 wood the Cleveland Mashie fairway is an incredible revolution in fairways. There's big threads on both if you're curious.

Depending on your swing speed and skill level you might hit a 4-wood longer than your 3-wood. Some hit shorter shafted clubs better (more consistent contact) than the longer shafted club. Also consider the traditional 3-wood of 25 years ago was 16* loft and 42" shaft length. Shorter clubs with more loft have more forgiveness .

it helped my game for a period my 4 wood did. until it was to a point i couldnt hit with it. try a new loft or maybe a new club do some testing and ask around Good Luck!

The added loft of a 4-wood makes it an easier club to hit. I used to carry a 4-wood and of all the clubs Ive ever gotten rid of and regretting it, that club is near the top of the list.

More loft should give you a little better chance at getting the ball up and keeping it straight, though it's not a guarantee that a 4 wood is your answer. If you are looking for an easy to hit and forgiving fairway wood, I'd agree with SW and say you should check out the Mashie fwy. Lofts range from 14° to 20.5°.

Yes the 4 wood should be easier to hit....lots of guys in the Morgan Cup were playing 4 woods...you should hit up Yoccos...that dude kills his 4 wood!

I played a 4 wood for the past year, it was much easier to hit off the turf than many 3 woods I tried.
The shorter shaft and higher loft will help with consistency and you shouldn't see much loss in distance.
Keep in mind also more loft=more backspin=straighter shots.

P.S. I've since moved to a double Mashie setup (F3/F5), these things are revolutionary.

My G15 4W is my fairway finder...nuff said

I love my G20 4 wood. It's a beast off the tee and the deck.

My Grandad in 75 and he hits a 30 year old wooden 4 wood further than i hit my 19* Cobra baffler!!! I play off 17 and he plays off 15 so not a huge difference in skill i guess its just whatever suits the person

I use a superfast 2.0 4 wood... you would have to kill me to get it out of my bag! My opinion - if your driver ss isn't 90+, ( and I'd say closer to 95 ) you probably are losing distance with a 3 wood.

I use a superfast 2.0 4 wood... you would have to kill me to get it out of my bag! My opinion - if your driver ss isn't 90+, ( and I'd say closer to 95 ) you probably are losing distance with a 3 wood.

Just wondering how sure you are of that loss of distance with a 3 wood thing and your reasoning behind it? Just asking because I've never heard of it before!

The 4w should be easier to hit when comparing it to a 3w off the deck. The other minor issue would be the distance gap between your driver and 4w, and then shrinking gap between said wood and hybrid.

My yardage with the driver is 260-270. My 19 hybrid is 210 yrds. Hoping a 17 degree 4 wood close that gap. I need consistency! Going to demo some higher lofted woods this weekend. Are golftown launch monitors accurate, distance wise?

I've been gaming the RBZ 3HL 17* (I.e. 4 wood). It kills, much easier to hit off the deck than my old Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 3 wood as long, if not longer off the tee, with a higher trajectory, and very forgiving. 220-230 yd fairway finder.

Why not a 5 wood if you can hit your 3 wood fine off the tee?

You might want to check out the Tour Edge Trilogy/Xrail line of fairway woods. There's a lot of weight low and back in the club which helps get the ball up in the air.

I actually have classically struggled with getting a 3 wood off the ground. I had switched over to a 4 wood as a result. With the Trilogy line, I can actually get the 3 (15 degree) up in the air without issue. The 4 in the line is a great club as well.

Just wondering how sure you are of that loss of distance with a 3 wood thing and your reasoning behind it? Just asking because I've never heard of it before!

The 4w should be easier to hit when comparing it to a 3w off the deck. The other minor issue would be the distance gap between your driver and 4w, and then shrinking gap between said wood and hybrid.

Basically, at a certain swing speed, you aren't generating enough spin to keep the ball optimally in the air. I may be off a little on the swing speed, but it's close. Along the same line, I can't hit a 2 hybrid any further than my 3 hybrid.

I also hit my 19 and 21 Titliest 910 hybrid the same distance. Should of got a 23 or a 24. Might play with lofts on those to get some variance between the two. Not sure a 5 wood would be a good idea, probably get the same yardage as my 19 hybrid.

Back