Callaway X Utility Prototype Irons Preview

. I think shaft is going to be a big factor.

I've been thinking out that as well and wondering what will be the stock option to the public. I'm sure they will have custom options, hoping they will put some goods in for off the shelf that are half way descent. Looking for something a little lower in flight to add to the bag since I have plenty of room.

Let's just assume for a second that they are fairly easy for amateurs to hit off of the tee. I think the real question comes in their playability off of the deck. Personally, except for the driver & putter, I can basically use every other club off the deck and tee. If this happened to be a no go off the deck, then there is no way it could replace a club in my bag as I need that versatility - especially in clubs that perform in the 175-220 yard range.

Can't wait to hit one when these become available.

Interesting idea. I think I may rather have these than a hybrid in my bag. Def be on my list of things to hit once they are released.

Let's just assume for a second that they are fairly hit for amateurs to hit off of the tee. I think the real question comes in their playability off of the deck. Personally, except for the driver & putter, I can basically use every other club off the deck and tee. If this happened to be a no go off the deck, then there is no way it could replace a club in my bag as I need that versatility - especially in clubs that perform in the 175-220 yard range.

From what I've read out and about in the world, that's where the sole comes into play.

All I know is I really fell for the the ezone driving iron after hitting it until I saw the price tag so my interest in this has been piqued for some time now. Putting a 21* of these in my bag at the 3i spot could be alot of fun and a good club for me. Like anything though, we'll see when I hit it....or just knee jerk buy one in the dead of the winter when there is snow on the ground.

Hmmmm, tighter dispersion than hybrids on mishits... Easier to hit than long irons... Sounds too good to be true and something I'm definitely going to have to look into demoing!

I just can't see it being more difficult to hit off the ground than a fairway wood, but that's all just a guess.

Interesting design direction that has my attention, but call me skeptical at this point. These will be interesting to follow, I have to agree with Cookie in that off the tee only would not interest me much in having in my bag. Time will tell how versatile these turn out to be.

These might be just the type of hybrid/utility club that I've been trying to find. Really looking forward to trying these out some time.

Used to have an old driving 1 iron cause I couldn't hit woods for anything when I first started I loved that thing (my dad still uses it in his bag) looking forward to giving these a try.

This is excellent news. I will be looking at the 24 degree hard. If it works for me I WILL be buying it.

Maybe Callaway could do a air drop at the course then we''ll be able to give them instant feedback.j/k

Dear Mister Callaway

My name is David Kelly I live on a little green island where it rains 11 months of the year and snows the last one. A X-Utility iron would be ideal for me to keep my ball down out of the gale force winds. Please sir all I want is one.

Your Friend
dhjkelly :D

Callaway is doing it again, bringing a product that is one of the more intriguing clubs in recent years. I like how they have marketed it, naturally allowing it to build momentum and finally announcing it for the masses. Like anything, I'd be curious to hit it and see where it might fit in the bag.

Dear Mister Callaway

My name is David Kelly I live on a little green island where it rains 11 months of the year and snows the last one. A X-Utility iron would be ideal for me to keep my ball down out of the gale force winds. Please sir all I want is one.

Your Friend

I love it!!!

I can see one or two of these in my bag. I'd love a set up with a 3 hybrid and a driving 4 iron, or a 3 driving iron and a 4 hybrid, or maybe two driving irons.

I am looking forward to giving these a try. Seems like a fun club to have in the bag. I need to hit quite a few shots under trees at my home course and this may work out better than a regular hybrid for those situations.

I just can't see it being more difficult to hit off the ground than a fairway wood, but that's all just a guess.

This coming from the dude who was smoking the driving iron at the Demo Day while I sat there and topped and thinner every single shot with it.

I bet Hawk has one of these shortly after they are available!

JB do you know the shaft options on this one, other than steel/graphite? I'm thinking with all that weight down low it should be pretty easy to get a high ball depending on the shaft.

This coming from the dude who was smoking the driving iron at the Demo Day while I sat there and topped and thinner every single shot with it.

I bet Hawk has one of these shortly after they are available!

I did like that other one! I don't know man. Honestly, I'm really attached to my hybrids right now, but I'll never say never.

Dear Mister Callaway

Your Friend

Awesome appeal to Callaway dude!

Looks pretty sweet... might have to give these a swing or two

Sock looking driving iron. This is a must try when at all possible

When I saw this on the Morgan Cup Facebook page, I figured it was a chipper type of club. I doubt I would even bother with this, other than hitting it a fe times for the experience.

Now, if I happened to hit it good, then that's a different story!

Back