TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Review Thread

I custom ordered my TP CBs to 2* up, but now that I'm hooking the ball so much I'm thinking about having them put back to standard, has anyone had their CBs bent after purchasing them?

I custom ordered my TP CBs to 2* up, but now that I'm hooking the ball so much I'm thinking about having them put back to standard, has anyone had their CBs bent after purchasing them?

Yep. Had mine bent twice. Very soft metal and very easy to bend.

Is the ball starting out left or going straight/slightly right and hooking? If its not starting out left then bending is probably not gonna help.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

If you had them bent up 2* there must've been a reason for it. If your swing has changed that may be affecting ball flight more, maybe just go to 1* up instead off back to standard.

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

Yep. Had mine bent twice. Very soft metal and very easy to bend.

Is the ball starting out left or going straight/slightly right and hooking? If its not starting out left then bending is probably not gonna help.

Tapping till 12-21-2012
It is a little of both, I actually have a lesson this afternoon, I'm hoping he can fix/answer as well!!!
If you had them bent up 2* there must've been a reason for it. If your swing has changed that may be affecting ball flight more, maybe just go to 1* up instead off back to standard.

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^
I was thinking that as well as a bid step, the problem is I don't know for sure where to have it done and didn't want to keep going back and forth, but we'll see what the pro says today.

seeing this thread pop back up makes me realize how great looking these irons are and that i'd really love to have them.

Well after my lesson it turns out it wasn't the clubs making the bad swings!!! JK, but we did decide to leave them alone for now and see, my swing is a work in progress, but these clubs sure to help to keep me excited to golf. I was still using my old clubs I know my results wouldn't be as good right now, even with a bad swing.

The one thing I don't know if I ever really noticed about these irons is how big the face is, lining it up today, which I did a lot of, you could really see how much bigger the face is than the ball. It really instills a lot of confidence in you even before you swing!

seeing this thread pop back up makes me realize how great looking these irons are and that i'd really love to have them.

They are a classic set of irons, love the look and I am getting great results with them.

IceyShanks, sorry for the misinformation, bro. I could've sworn this was the MC thread. I was speaking on the MC's earlier as they are fully forged. The CB's might be a tad tougher to bend as they are a cast club everywhere but the forged face that is welded on.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

I think the 588's are 100 times better looking.

I think the 588's are 100 times better looking.

To each his own I guess, but I will say I find these two different sets of irons, the CBs are much more forgiving and easier to hit IMHO!!!

I tried the CB's when I bought my MC's and thought they were great irons. I loved hitting the CB 3 iron and may get it in case wind conditions make it better to play than my hybrid.

Not me, I think the TP CBs are better looking than 588s. And 1000x over I20's.

Bite your tongue!!! i20's > TP CB! 10,000x :alien:

Tapping till 12-21-2012

To each his own I guess, but I will say I find these two different sets of irons, the CBs are much more forgiving and easier to hit IMHO!!!

I'm not sure I agree completely. They are more forgiving...a little to me. But the MC's are far more forgiving than they look.

Tapping till 12-21-2012

I'm not sure I agree completely. They are more forgiving...a little to me. But the MC's are far more forgiving than they look.

I agree that the MC's are forgiving. I thought all 3 of the Tour Preferred sets (MB, MC, CB) were easy to hit flush with the MC's being most consistant distance-wise for me. I just ordered a CB 3 iron that I can switch out with my hybrid in windy conditions and it's great off the tee. This club is hard to find since the CB's have been discontinued, but I found one. I've always loved hitting a 3 iron and the CB launches easily and goes far. An excellent course management club and the perfect addition to my MC's.

Last edited:
My new CB 3 iron arrived this morning! Just got back from a quick 9 holes and this club performed up to my expectations. It was easy to hit 220 yards. I used it in place of my hybrid and it cut through the wind as it should. It was also easy to hit off a tee. The hybrid is obviously a better rescue club, but I like this 3 iron better off the fairway and 1st cut of rough. It's uber forgiving as advertised and a nice new weapon in my arsenal.

attachment.php

Hey, sorry if this question has already been asked before, but I only went through half of the 135 pages of this thread... So, here goes:
I've been playing for 18 month but only started to be serious about playing golf recently, applying for 20 lessons for the coming year. My teacher is telling me first thing I shoud do is to get rid of my current clubs (oldies a friend gave me) and I spotted a set of these TM TP CB for sale at a shop near my home (full set for 450$ - Stiff stock shafts). Now, I know these are not the typical beginner's club but still, just from the looks I get a better feel for those than from the big heavy shovels that are usually handed to newcomers. So, my question: are these worth (a little?) extra frustration in the learning process or should I just go with the "super-game-improvement" clubs available out there ? I must say my goal for the coming year is to actually enjoy myself on the course and get rid of those many chunks and skulls that usually ruin my experience during the round (I mean, anywhere between 90 and 100 by mid-2013 I'll be happy).
Thanks ahead for your reply !

Hey, sorry if this question has already been asked before, but I only went through half of the 135 pages of this thread... So, here goes:
I've been playing for 18 month but only started to be serious about playing golf recently, applying for 20 lessons for the coming year. My teacher is telling me first thing I shoud do is to get rid of my current clubs (oldies a friend gave me) and I spotted a set of these TM TP CB for sale at a shop near my home (full set for 450$ - Stiff stock shafts). Now, I know these are not the typical beginner's club but still, just from the looks I get a better feel for those than from the big heavy shovels that are usually handed to newcomers. So, my question: are these worth (a little?) extra frustration in the learning process or should I just go with the "super-game-improvement" clubs available out there ? I must say my goal for the coming year is to actually enjoy myself on the course and get rid of those many chunks and skulls that usually ruin my experience during the round (I mean, anywhere between 90 and 100 by mid-2013 I'll be happy).
Thanks ahead for your reply !

Think about it, for mere $450 you will hit the same irons as Paula Creamer!

TP CBs are a great set of clubs and I enjoy hitting my set like nothing else. To me they are also very nice looking. They offer unique package of some forgiveness and precision. They feel great on solid strikes as well. They don't offer any extra yards but are very precise and the trajectory is lower than most GI clubs while still going high. So to sum up, my feelings on CBs is that it is a very balanced club that offers good compromise of forgiveness, workability, precision, distance and feel.

That said...if you decide to get them don't expect to eliminate your chunks and skulls...these are a matter of swing improvement and will go away with time if you persist working on your game. Keep in mind that pure GI and SGI clubs will be somewhat easier to hit and offer more distance than CBs.

Think about it, for mere $450 you will hit the same irons as Paula Creamer!

TP CBs are a great set of clubs and I enjoy hitting my set like nothing else. To me they are also very nice looking. They offer unique package of some forgiveness and precision. They feel great on solid strikes as well. They don't offer any extra yards but are very precise and the trajectory is lower than most GI clubs while still going high. So to sum up, my feelings on CBs is that it is a very balanced club that offers good compromise of forgiveness, workability, precision, distance and feel.

That said...if you decide to get them don't expect to eliminate your chunks and skulls...these are a matter of swing improvement and will go away with time if you persist working on your game. Keep in mind that pure GI and SGI clubs will be somewhat easier to hit and offer more distance than CBs.

Hey,
Thanks for the hones reply. Strong point with Paula Creamer. Just out of curiosity, what do Sandra Gal and Nathalie Gulbis play? (more my style :)
Seriously, the compromise part, I really like that. I'll talk about it with my teacher again and will take my decision next week-end.
Cheers

I'm hoping I can track some of the CBs down in my area, a local club fitter has a demo set of last years TP offerings and I hit them everytime and the numbers and ball flight on the CB (and the mc),were the best for me but I preferred the forgiveness of the CB

'Wingin' it with Tapatalk

They have a set of these at my local Golftown for $550 right now, seems like a screaming deal compared to what else is out there for the same price.

They have a set of these at my local Golftown for $550 right now, seems like a screaming deal compared to what else is out there for the same price.

wow that really is a screaming deal, I'm going to see if I can snag one on the market place here first though

I might add that the matching 51* AW is very good too and well worth getting it as well.

Hey TP CB lovers, I got my set this Feb. With the mild winter and spring and with me being laid off until August i got in around 40 rounds with these baby,s and easily the best irons I hit all year. Got em for less than $400.00 from 3Ballsgolf. Changed to midsize grips and off i went. Shot my lowest round eva with these a 76 and havent looked back. I,ve asked Mrs. Claus for some KBS shafts for Xmas so next year we will be installing those and hoping for good results. I usually stay with a set of irons for a good 3-4 yrs. so this should be a great relationship. There may be better irons out there but im not switchin!

First, I'm new to this forum and I'd just like to say that the information provided here is fantastic for any golf addict. Simply awesome!

Now onto the CB's...I had been playing Ping Eye 2 copper irons for the past 15 years. I loved them but decided it was time for a change. Based on the comments here, I purchased a set 4-AW and I LOVE them! Very forgiving and such a pure feel at impact. And they look great too! Decided to go with the CB's over the R11's because I wanted forged irons (and they were about $100 cheaper). Can't understand the logic of why TM discontinued these and went with the cast R11s. Anyway, if you're thinking about getting these, do it! You won't be disappointed. But hurry...you may have difficulty getting these as retailers run out of their stock.

Anyway, thank you all for the comments and feedback on these superb irons. Best golf purchase I've made yet!

Back