Playing With ________ Girl Or Guy.

Rude/Awful pair-ups with other people

Rude/Awful pair-ups with other people

I had to share this experience that i had yesterday. i played a course by my work, leaving at noon in hopes of playing a nice, social round with a group of random strangers. i called ahead and the guy at the pro shop said he'd pair me up with a 3 some coming in around 12:30; awesome. i ended up getting paired up with a group of three japanese people, Alex, Lea (female) and Anna. i kid you not, they smiled as they shook my hand saying their names before we got in carts to go to the first hole and that was the LAST WORD SAID all day to me. 18 holes, 4.5 hours of no words being said in english, let alone an acknowledgement of a shot, putt or even casual banter. I made a point of saying something nice about shots and putts without so much as a thank you (at around the 12th hole, heck, i would've taken a thank you even if it WAS in japanese). I made 2 birdies...the most i had of a "good shot" on one hole was a nod and a smile from the guy Alex. **forgot to add** they were talking, NON-STOP all 18 holes in japanese to each other, telling each other jokes, laughing, etc.

here's the part that really angered me. 19th hole, i grabbed a beer and was watching some GC highlight stuff on tv...when i hear a full conversation...IN ENGLISH behind me from the group of 3 i was just playing with. they were talking to friends of theirs that finished and were behind us apparently a few holes back...

Have you ever been paired up with someone/people that have been blatently rude or completely un-responsive to any, let alone some casual banter?

Maybe they were shy.

I have, at times I think some groups of people find it more of a hindrance that you joined them. Does/did it bother me, of course because I'm a social guy on the course and love to meet new people but others don't see it that way.

Tapaway!

It's happened to me too. But to be totally honest if I get paired up with a group of unknowns I'll do the intro and the occasional nice shot, but most of the time I walk to my ball with a few clubs and play the course. If I'm with friends I'll chat it up and talk some smack, and have a little competitive fun. I'm also introverted so that doesn't help my social skills much.

Played with "I have an iPhone and a speaker dock for it so everybody gets to listen to me DJ" guy last night.

He didn't even have a decent playlist.

That would suck having music forced upon you.

i played with a buddy of mine today... he's "i look like a dangerous tattoos everywhere yakuza exconvict" but he's an engineer who's the coolest guy ever
he used to be a pro skater... all his tats are hidden at work but its hard to hide full sleeves/legs in shorts and a polo hahha

Played with "I have an iPhone and a speaker dock for it so everybody gets to listen to me DJ" guy last night.

I'll only do this when playing with people I know or by myself

I use my speaker doc when I'm playing with friends or getting in a quick round by myself. It helps me keep rhythm, I listen to everything from Sade to Lynard Skynard, just depends on my mood that day. But if I am playing with people I don't know, I will ask on the first tee if anyone minds if I play music between shots. I make sure to pause it or turn it down at tee box, greens and when I'm close enough to others in fairway.

Played with "Sure, you can play with us, but we're not gonna say a word to you" guys last night. It was pretty weird.

I feel like everything in here is negative, so I will talk about a good experience I had.

Yesterday I was waiting for a threesome to tee off on the first tee and the three older gentleman came up and asked me if I wanted to play with them, I of course said yes. The course was pretty crowded and didn't want to wait on each tee box by myself. We played the 9 holes, we had some good shots, we laughed, I got a cigar from one of the guys. It was a great time and I figured I would post this here since everything else seems to be so negative in this thread hehe

I feel like everything in here is negative, so I will talk about a good experience I had.

Yesterday I was waiting for a threesome to tee off on the first tee and the three older gentleman came up and asked me if I wanted to play with them, I of course said yes. The course was pretty crowded and didn't want to wait on each tee box by myself. We played the 9 holes, we had some good shots, we laughed, I got a cigar from one of the guys. It was a great time and I figured I would post this here since everything else seems to be so negative in this thread hehe

Blasphemy!! I agree, I've had plenty more good experiences than bad ones. It just seems like the bad ones make for more entertaining stories as the perpetrators usually have some colorful quirks! Case in point...a recent pairing was with a young guy and he ended up becoming a client. Now I tell my lady that I need to golf to generate business.

I'll add to the positive stories. Went out on my own at my in-laws' local club. Caught up with a group of three middle aged guys at the 2nd (busy course what with it being Saturday and sunny...the latter being rare in Ireland). Had a great time, lots of good conversation, acknowledgement of good shots and light-hearted banter. Ended up having lunch and a few beers in the club house with them afterwards. All-in-all a great day.

i played with a couple of my buddies today
"im 20yrs older than you but i hit 50yrds farther than you and straighter than you" guy
and
"my tee shots go 450yrds but i end up with quad bogeys all day" guy
i love playing with both of these guys but for the life of me i dont understand how in the crap they hit the ball the way they do hahha

I played with 'really old and carries his own bag while whoopping your a$$ guy" yesterday. He made me look silly, but was really nice about the whole thing.

I played with 'really old and carries his own bag while whoopping your a$$ guy" yesterday. He made me look silly, but was really nice about the whole thing.

Short and straight with a good short game kicks my butt everytime

I usually play with guys like this

played with "dude you hit the ball far" guy today
i think this is the reason i caught a case of the shanks cuz this guy kept complimenting every single thing i did
nice guy but it was kinda tiring especially after horrendous shots

i played with a buddy of mine today... he's "i look like a dangerous tattoos everywhere yakuza exconvict" but he's an engineer who's the coolest guy ever
he used to be a pro skater... all his tats are hidden at work but its hard to hide full sleeves/legs in shorts and a polo hahha

I didn't play golf with you today!!!!! Stop bragging about knowing me hahahaha. I was 12 years active duty (planned to retire but got hurt and medically separated at 30) and I am heavily tattooed and because of constantly living outdoors, I always had my work done in black and grey so aside from being clean cut and very well mannered and well dressed, I look like a serial killer according to my wife and parents.

My usual playing partner is the ex football player looking for a new game who swings a club like Josh Hamilton swings a bat. IF he connects, he's got 20 yards on me with any club. If he doesn't, we have to call in a grounds crew with a backhoe and a roller to repair his divot that started a foot before the ball and ends 2 feet after hahahaha. When I can get him to calm down and swing without trying to hit it out of the park, he's got a nice swing and pretty accurate but that reinforces to him that he's got it now and next time around, back to baseball.

He isn't slow though and he makes my 21 handicap look good and he's always fun to play with so I keep calling him.

pretty much the same as my cousin who i played with today
he's "im gonna wait till the green clears from 300 out because i can putt it that far from here" guy
he is horrendous at golf but if you listen really closely you can hear his ball crying when he tees it up
when he connects with that baby its gonna go far... not always straight but it goes far far

played with "bloody marvelous mate" guys
a couple of brits that are stationed near by for nato
absolutely love the accents and they were hilarious

Played with "God I Suck!" and "Man, I never play this bad". I wish it was the same round, that way it would have been like a bullet to the head and not a slow bleeder...

played with "wow dude" guy today
usually when i play with someone that endlessly compliments me i end up sucking really bad... but not today

played with a couple of buddies
believe it or not i have a buddy thats left handed and his real name is gil michelson
he's from iceland and he's "owwwsome" hahaha
fave line of the day today
gil "twelve beers is my limit"
me "dude how many beers are you on?"
gil "14"
me "i think you might be over your limit"
hahha

Back