Honma Golf Releases New Irons

I keep trying, RS, but it never seems to pan out!

this is a used set on ebay right now that had a MSRP of over $12,000 when they were new

262467262_tp.jpg

Oooh, lets buy 2 sets. lol

heres a more affordable set. $4500 new. gold plated cavity backs

e896_1.JPG

Oooh, lets buy 2 sets. lol

I win the Powerball, I'll buy two sets but they won't be used off ebay! One to use and one for my wall! I'll be sure to let everyone know when that happens!

I have to admit the red plated Beres putter is really nice though.

their putters do look awfully nice

465214604_3yAKu-L.jpg

Yeah the the one all the way on the right and the third one from the right.

12 grand for clubs...hmmmm. besides the bling...why are these so stupidly expensive?

Okay, I will keep my thoughts to this-

Crap like this is why there is a view of golf as being an elitist game- one for wealthy people and nothing else. This just perpetuates that stereotype. $4,400 for a club? That is stupid and nothing else, IMO. Even if I won the mega millions, I wouldn't consider these for a second. What do these clubs do that makes them worth anything near that price?

... okay done now

ATJ,
I agree 100%

$4400/club...are they freakin serious???

That's just asinine. 100% pure status/phallic symbols.

Okay, I will keep my thoughts to this-

Crap like this is why there is a view of golf as being an elitist game- one for wealthy people and nothing else. This just perpetuates that stereotype. $4,400 for a club? That is stupid and nothing else, IMO. Even if I won the mega millions, I wouldn't consider these for a second. What do these clubs do that makes them worth anything near that price?

... okay done now

If you had Greg Normans or Bill Gates $$$ you might consider it. To them blowing $15-20k is like us going to McDonalds for lunch. I have a set of Japanese Maruman irons that were pricey as hell when they came out, what makes them so darn pricey? heck if I know as I play my Cleveland launcher shovels a heck of a lot better.

from what ive read thats EXACTLY what they are in Japan. just a status symbol

If you had Greg Normans or Bill Gates $$$ you might consider it. To them blowing $15-20k is like us going to McDonalds for lunch. I have a set of Japanese Maruman irons that were pricey as hell when they came out, what makes them so darn pricey? heck if I know as I play my Cleveland launcher shovels a heck of a lot better.

I wouldn't even consider it then.... seriously. I can think of a lot of things that I would spend that money on- pay some underpriveledged kid's college tuition for a year, for example. To charge that much for irons is exactly what you said- asinine.

It's not that I don't agree with you guys but there are plenty people out there who would look down on us for what we pay. I know plenty of people who thinks it's outrages that I've payed $150 for a shaft or 299.99 for a new driver or even 200-300 for a putter. It's just perspective. If this company can charge than amount and stay in business then it shouldn't concern me. Customers dictate price, so someone is paying for these.

AJ,
You are 100% correct about supply and demand. I feel the same way about shaft prices and never pay that much. But it is all about what the consumers will pay.

i agree. who needs gold plated cavity backs? nobody! but that doesnt stop people from buying them

It's not that I don't agree with you guys but there are plenty people out there who would look down on us for what we pay. I know plenty of people who thinks it's outrages that I've payed $150 for a shaft or 299.99 for a new driver or even 200-300 for a putter. It's just perspective. If this company can charge than amount and stay in business then it shouldn't concern me. Customers dictate price, so someone is paying for these.

You really are right, but I dunno, the whole thing ruffles my feathers- the fact that a company has taken it to this level, and people buy them for the status symbol that comes in tote. It just rubs me the wrong way.

It's not that I don't agree with you guys but there are plenty people out there who would look down on us for what we pay. I know plenty of people who thinks it's outrages that I've payed $150 for a shaft or 299.99 for a new driver or even 200-300 for a putter. It's just perspective.

Agreed.
I know folks who think they paid a good sum of $$ when they bought their new Acuity or Maxfli set for $200-300 total.

You really are right, but I dunno, the whole thing ruffles my feathers- the fact that a company has taken it to this level, and people buy them for the status symbol that comes in tote. It just rubs me the wrong way.

It's really no different than just about any other product out there. Why buy a $200,000 exotic sportscar when a $15,000 Ford Focus works just as well? Why go out to eat at a fancy restaurant & pay $150-300 for 2 people when you can stuff your face at Old Country Buffet for $10?

It's really no different than just about any other product out there. Why buy a $200,000 exotic sportscar when a $15,000 Ford Focus works just as well? Why go out to eat at a fancy restaurant & pay $150-300 for 2 people when you can stuff your face at Old Country Buffet for $10?

Have you ever driven a focus?.... nuff said

That's true. The idea of massively overpricing certain items based on the perception of rarity is as old as the hills and is part of all sectors: wine, homes, cars, art, you name it.

Have you ever driven a focus?.... nuff said

I bought mine in 2000 brand new when I was 16 years old. It was good to me for almost 10 years.

well I dont agree with that analogy. A Ferrari F430 is infinitely better in every way compared to a focus...unless you are only concerned with getting from point A to point B and nothing else. and a meal at old country buffet is not good food. A fine restaurant gives you much greater quality. but again if you just want to fill your belly and your tastebuds are on a permanet vacation than OCB is adequate. you pay the premium on certain things in life because of quality.

But with such things as golf clubs I beg to differ. To me it all seems like status symbol. how many golfers wouldn't be caught dead with component clubs only because they dont have a "brand" name that the pro's use? How many people have Scottys in their bag just because its a Scotty?

Everything in my bag is either a knock-off, component or outdated. I have played with Pings, Mizunos and Callaway clubs and honestly can say they were no better for me than what I have now. Sleeker, sexier and nicer...yes. Better...no.

CCR,
I dont agree with your theories at all here. You talk about how the golf clubs are for status but the car is not and fine restaurant are not? A car is for transportation and other than status most cars do the same thing. Some do it faster (not legal) or have more space, but it is for transportation.

This argument and the argument for a Ferrari to me are EXACTLY the same. People get them for status.

CCR,
I dont agree with your theories at all here. You talk about how the golf clubs are for status but the car is not and fine restaurant are not? A car is for transportation and other than status most cars do the same thing. Some do it faster (not legal) or have more space, but it is for transportation.

This argument and the argument for a Ferrari to me are EXACTLY the same. People get them for status.

Bingo, there is absolutely nothing better about a Ferrari or Bugatti or whatever exotic you want to think of, compared to a Focus, F150, Silverado or any other car. It's the status symbol "look at me" thing going on. As Josh said, sure the Ferrari will get you there faster, unless you get nabbed for a fat speeding ticket, but that's about it.

Back