Short Putt Struggles

Josh

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello....this is my first post.

I am currently struggling with my short putts. I am having real trouble with my allignment and also with my confidence on 4-8 foot putts. Just wondering if you have any drills or suggestions to help me roll the ball in with some consistency.

Thanks.
Josh

Welcome to THP. Our teaching pro will be on to help out.

The best way to work on allignment and the stroke for short putts is a simple one. Next time you are at the practice green set up two clubs like railroad tracks just wider than your putter head. I want you to work on a short takeaway and feel like you are pushing the ball to the hole. This shorter stroke won't allow the putter to get off of the line and will get the ball rolling on the line you want it too. In terms of your allignment you need to work into a consistant pre shot routine. Do you spot putt? If not try it. What I would like you to try is when you are reading the green I want you to pick a spot on your intended line about 6-8 inches in front of your ball. Place the ball so the allignment aid is going right at the spot you picked out. Now all you have to focus on is the speed. Try and take all of the variable out of play so you are only focused on 1 thing when it is time to pull the trigger. Thanks for the topic. This is an area the JB and I might want to make a THP TV video in the near future.

Thanks....that is some great info and I will definately try it. I know I can hit the puts, I just need to get my confidence back and taking everything out of the equation except speed seems like a great way to get back on line. It's supposed to be really rainy here today but I will be heading to the practice green tomorrow to try the new tools you have given me. A video would be great and I think would be helpful to a lot of us.

Back