jefffann

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
How did you make the decision on what irons to use.
Where you influenced by reviews? Did you pick them out becaus a pro plays them. Did you pick them out because they've had sucess on tour? Did you pick them because you got the best deal on them? Or because they were recommemended by a friend ? Did you not pick them but they where given to you? Based on whatever criteria it was that made you choose them where you satisfied with that choice?
I know that's a lot of questions.
I look for a set I can get a deal on and then if the reviews aren't calling them a total P.O.S. I give em a try.I can't say I have a brand preference because I've had great iron sets from a lot of different companies.Actually feel is what seems to be the deciding factor for me to keep or get rid of as long as performance is fairly even.

Tried every single set known to man it seems and felt as though two sets stood above the rest for my game. Nike Splits and Nickent 4DX pros. I have been going back and forth between both sets for a while now. What I have found is that people buy sets for many different reasons.

Some buy them on reviews. Some buy them for being made in the USA. And some buy them because the pros play them. In the end, the only thing that mattered to me was how I hit them.

Couple of reasons why I bought mine, I liked the way they looked & felt, they were on sale, & they are good clubs for someone who still has a lot to learn about the game & has an inconsistant swing.

Oh yea, picked up my backup set of Maurumans off a local college kid who came from Thailand. They were his dads clubs & he just wanted to get rid of them, had no idea what they were. $15 for the complete set with graphite shafts & they are in great condition just needed to be regripped.

Haven't used them on a course yet, just at the range.

Couple of reasons why I bought mine, I liked the way they looked & felt, they were on sale, & they are good clubs for someone who still has a lot to learn about the game & has an inconsistant swing.

Dyna,
Its funny you mention that, because in our interview with what I believe to be one of the greatest club makers out there right now, John Hoeflich talks a lot about that. He said with todays club making, if you like the look at setup, and can get them fitted for you, that is all you need.

Dyna,
Its funny you mention that, because in our interview with what I believe to be one of the greatest club makers out there right now, John Hoeflich talks a lot about that. He said with todays club making, if you like the look at setup, and can get them fitted for you, that is all you need.

Makes sense to me.

Picked up my latest set (Adams A4's) because of the look at set up and the style of the club head. They also felt great when swinging. I was looking at the Mizzy 200 as well and I was just making more consistent contact with A-4irons. They also had less offset than other set I was considering which was pleasing to my eye.

I played Titleists for a long time because I bought into the marketing hype. Last year, I started going on golf forums again and a lot of people talked about the legendary feel of these irons called, "Mizunos". At the time, Id never heard of 'em so I was just like, "whatever".
Welp, I kept hearing all this talk about Mizunos and I wasnt very happy with my Titleist DCI 981s (they worked great if I was striking the ball well, but if my swing was just a little off I never knew where the ball was gonna go), so I bought an older set of Mizzies for cheap on Ebay and, as they say, the rest is history.
All it took was about 5 swings at the driving range to convince me that my days of playing Titleists were over. Ive dabbled with other brands of clubs since then, but I always come back to Mizunos. There is nothing that I have found which rivals the feel of Mizunos irons.
The Japanese made some of the finest swords that there has ever been, so it only makes sense that they would also make the best irons.

How did you make the decision on what irons to use.
Where you influenced by reviews?

Not really influenced by reviews, but the reviews I read helped me confirm what I thought.

Did you pick them out becaus a pro plays them. Did you pick them out because they've had sucess on tour?

No and no. When I started looking at new clubs I was sure that someone played them, but I didn't know who they were.

Did you pick them because you got the best deal on them?

Price was a big part of why I got them. I had a limited budget so price had to be a big factor. Although looking back I would have probably bought the same clubs even if I hadn't got such a good deal. I was fortunate that a local club pro really helped me out with fitting and allowing me use to the demo clubs when I came by, no questions asked. In the end, he gave me what I thought was a more than fair price. I like to take care of the people who take care of me so I bought them from him, even though I probably could have got them a little cheaper online or e-bay. I did come in under budget. Plus, when they came in, he gave me a new glove and 2 sleeves of premium balls.

Or because they were recommemended by a friend ? Did you not pick them but they where given to you?

No and no

Based on whatever criteria it was that made you choose them where you satisfied with that choice?

Very satisfied. It really came down to two different sets. I would have been satisfied either way I went, they were both great sets. Due to limited availability in the area for demos, I didn't have much choice unless I wanted to buy blind. There is a course near my home that had a fitting cart and I was able to test a few different models and decide on the one I liked best. The best part was that I could changed out the shafts until I found the one that worked best. There were five shafts to choose from and I ended up with the shaft that was initially last of the five. Just goes to show what happens when you spend a lot of time testing.

40 years ago at age 20 or so, I bought an inexpensive set of Jack Nicklaus "Golden Bear" clubs complete with putter and bag! LOL! Because OBVIOUSLY if it had Jack's name on it and that cool "Golden Bear" logo- they HAD to be the best!

When I picked the game up again in recent months I bought a set of Cally X-20's because they were well regarded and on deep clearance after the introduction of X-22's.

But as I began playing, I also began hitting a lot of demo irons at the range. For me- at this stage of my game, I kept coming back to G10's and Rapture V2's. I hit every iron imaginable but finally arranged for a fitting and ordered a set of V2's. They arrived a week ago and I have to say I love 'em.

For me it was all about the feel and consistency. I DESPERATELY WANTED to like a less expensive club just as well- but in the end the V2's averaged 7 additional yards (on average) and were straighter than anything else I hit- which probably says a lot about how INCONSISTENTLY I hit the ball. The V2's simply have the most forgiveness and therefore ON AVERAGE they're straighter and longer for me right now.

YMMV

40 years ago at age 20 or so, I bought an inexpensive set of Jack Nicklaus "Golden Bear" clubs complete with putter and bag! LOL! Because OBVIOUSLY if it had Jack's name on it and that cool "Golden Bear" logo- they HAD to be the best!

When I picked the game up again in recent months I bought a set of Cally X-20's because they were well regarded and on deep clearance after the introduction of X-22's.

But as I began playing, I also began hitting a lot of demo irons at the range. For me- at this stage of my game, I kept coming back to G10's and Rapture V2's. I hit every iron imaginable but finally arranged for a fitting and ordered a set of V2's. They arrived a week ago and I have to say I love 'em.

For me it was all about the feel and consistency. I DESPERATELY WANTED to like a less expensive club just as well- but in the end the V2's averaged 7 additional yards (on average) and were straighter than anything else I hit- which probably says a lot about how INCONSISTENTLY I hit the ball. The V2's simply have the most forgiveness and therefore ON AVERAGE they're straighter and longer for me right now.

YMMV
The price of just about any Ping Rapture is pretty crazy. Ive heard really good things about them though...

Great question!:

I was all of a sudden in the market for new irons as I broke my 5 and 6 iron. To be honest I didn't try everything out there. I tried the Ping i10's, MP-57's, Titleist 755's, AP2's, AP1's, ZB's, Ping S58's, and TM R7 TP's. I wasn't brand oriented at all and whatever felt good and worked I'd get. It was so long ago I might have tried more. But there was something about the i10's and the s58's that gave me that WOW factor. The feel was just like nothing else, and time after time I was hitting such a good ball. I basically choose the S58's based off looks, they both felt the same to me, After reading countless reviews, I started looking for them online.

Got a brand new set for $500.

Went to 5+ demo days. At the first one, I hit everything I could get my hands on. Then narrowed it down at each subsequent demo day until I had it down to 2 choices, then went to two more demo days and hit only those 2 until I picked the i5s. (Basically the same for my woods and hybrids too, except for the driver, which I tried on a whim after I thought I had already picked a winner. Knew that it was the one on the first swing.)

I was fitted for mine. Second choice--and I don't even recall the brand--had senior shafts. That was a nice ego boost, but I'm happy with how I hit these.

I bought mine from my cousin, he had bought a new set and had the complete setup from driver to wedges with a Ogio bag. Paid $250 for everything but a putter. I'm hoping to play them this year and look to replace them next fall/winter.

I have owned four sets of irons. The first in 1978, was a cheap set of blades from JC Penney. Augusta was the model, I think they were Wilson's. Got them because I needed clubs for high school golf and that's what we could afford. They were 40 bucks for the complete set and bag, the putter was not included. The second set was a set of low profile Browning 500's in 1992. My best friend had a set of Browning 440's and I hit them decent. The 500's were all I could find, and they were at Play It Again Sports. My third set were the Cavity Back Goldwin's. Nick Price started playing them around 1995 or so. I liked Nick and these were a new brand. I liked the thought behind them, so I bought these new shortly after he got sponsored by them. The CB Nickents I won in the Charity raffle.

I buy mine off of looks, and reviews. No kidding, lol...never been fitted.

My first "set" of clubs were just some Nike junior clubs. I had the D, 3W, 5i, 7i, PW, and Putter.
Then, I ordered SV2 irons, the Nike Slingshot clones. I had them for one day, they blew. I then picked up the starter set of Golden Bear GX2 woods/irons, and got Golden Bear M82 wedges to go with it.
A little less than one year later, and this is what's in my bag.

Back