Switching irons after 20 years

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
New Orleans marked the first time in 20 years that Charles Warren used a brand of irons that did not say "Ping."

Warren, who finished the Zurich Classic in a tie for 42nd after a final-round 74, signed a contract to play the TaylorMade driver at the beginning of 2009 when he hit a friend'd driver and liked it so much. He decided to give the company's Tour Preferred irons a chance, too.

"I've been driving the ball really well. And my iron play has not been as good as I feel it like it should have been," Warren said.

Warren said his young son had been "banging balls around the house" with the TaylorMade irons for a couple of weeks, and started hitting the wall.

"I grabbed one from him... (and) I said these are pretty good," he said. "Got them re-shafted and I played with them on Monday and Tuesday and liked them."

Warren hit 69.4 percent of greens in regulation with the new irons.

"It is hard (to switch from Ping)," he said. "But, you know, it's something fresh. It's good. I like them. I think they're great. I controlled them pretty well today and looking forward to what they might do for me."

He is only under contract to play the driver but said the irons will be staying as well. "I think they outperformed the Pings right now".

• Admin
I think he meant it from the context of his personal gain. Not against the company in anyway.

I didn't even know who he is (was?)! I had to look him up.

Sometimes it takes a little change in what you are looking down at to get the feel and touch back. I know many players (myself included) who switch putters for a couple of rounds (after burning edges or not getting putts to fall), and that little change is enough to help get the feel back with the older putter. The same applies with irons. When my ball striking goes south I head to the range with an old set of blades to change the look and feel and then go back to my regular irons.

Back