Official Rant of the Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may not rise to nihilistic existentialism, but...

I hate my work computer on Mondays. It only gets turned off for the weekend. When I turn it on, its starts scanning, and that slows everything to a crawl. Today, I had two scans going at once, and it was so slow I couldn't even cancel the scans. For 90 minutes, I essentially couldn't get anything done--even my email wouldn't download.

I did set it to scan when I left tonight; hopefully 15 hours is long enough.

Why don't you leave it on over the weekend and let it scan then?

You could also VPN to it if you needed to.

Why don't you leave it on over the weekend and let it scan then?

You could also VPN to it if you needed to.

VPN?

It gets turned off for security--cleaning crew and such on weekends.

VPN Virtual Private Network. Remote Desktop.

You can't lock your computer? (Ctrl-Alt-Delte)?

Better yet, set it to scan Monday night.

I mean, it's not like it got a virus over the weekend while it was off, right?

darn internet crashed and burned... i had to fill out a work order for my it person... she got me up and running again, after i got her out of a book she was trying to read... :clap:

T
I did set it to scan when I left tonight; hopefully 15 hours is long enough.

Better yet, set it to scan Monday night.

I mean, it's not like it got a virus over the weekend while it was off, right?

Harry's not paying attention to what I'm saying. Again.

Minor rant: I wore heels today for the first time in a week and a half. I can feel it in my calves.

Harry's not paying attention to what I'm saying. Again.

I meant set it up so that the scheduled scans automatically start every Monday night. You made it sound like you did it just for this one time because it was so bad.

I meant set it up so that the scheduled scans automatically start every Monday night. You made it sound like you did it just for this one time because it was so bad.

Well, actually, yes. Gotta dig into that. Also figure out why my IT guy set it up so I'm running two scans simultaneously.

This may not rise to nihilistic existentialism, but...

I think Floppy and probably Dent are scratching their heads on that one....anyway

It's almost 1 am here which is like 4am in Florida and JB still hasn't logged off. Do you guys think we over worked the poor fella and he fell asleep on the keyboard?

Lots of ranting to catch up on.

Andy: sorry to hear about your injury. Good luck. I tore my thumb ligament off the bone when I crashed skiing back in '91 (common injury in skiing (poles), tennis (racket), and apparently chicken breeding (neck twisting)). At any rate, it healed fine after about two months in a cast.

Harry: I know your pain. I once had a relatively large vocabulary. Now I find myself searching for words and using "uh" and the word "thing" in far too many sentences. ("WSE: Would you, uh, hand me that thing over there? Wifey: What thing? WSE: The thing over by the uh, uh, the blue thing over there.")

AJ: I think I am more the misanthropic stoic than the existential nihilist.

CfC: My calves hurt when I wear heels after a lay off, too.

I guess that brings me up to speed.

It's almost 1 am here which is like 4am in Florida and JB still hasn't logged off. Do you guys think we over worked the poor fella and he fell asleep on the keyboard?

I bet he's patiently waiting for people to post prize pics.

I bet he's patiently waiting for people to post prize pics.

I already talked to him about that, soon as I can I will...not home on personal matters.

I think Floppy and probably Dent are scratching their heads on that one....anyway

I scratch my head quite often on Claire's posts. That, and TheRancho (I think that's his/her name) when he/she talks about computers...yikes!

I have that fuzzy, coming-down-with-a-cold feeling in my throat and behind my eyes. Rats. Plus, a continuing touch of that something-I-ate-in-Mexico-didn't-sit-quite-so-well-and-I-wish-it-would-just-work-its-way-out-of-my-system feeling.

Typing with n-dashes instead of spaces is hard.

Typing with n-dashes instead of spaces is hard.

Excellent use of "n-dash" in a sentence. Brings to mind another question, however: in your writings, do you use two n-dashes to represent an m-dash, as such "--," or do you use, or allow the computer to convert to the m-dash ASCI symbol, thusly "—," instead?

Excellent use of "n-dash" in a sentence. Brings to mind another question, however: in your writings, do you use two n-dashes to represent an m-dash, as such "--," or do you use, or allow the computer to convert to the m-dash ASCI symbol, thusly "—," instead?

I don't like when the computer does that but that brings up a funny story of auto correct. We had this really pretentious training officer at work so we got his password and set it up so when he typed out his name in an arrest report it would change to a multitude of profanities. I thought my SGT. was going to die from laughing while he was correcting it.

My rant, I hate baseball season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back