Practice Putting Tip

provisional

Could Care Less
Reaction score
Handicap
10+/-
I have so many folks on the chipping/putting practice greens ask why I practice putting the way I do, I thought I would add it to this site. First off you need to use a green that allows both chipping, and putting on the same green. Also, you can use this method any where else if you are only putting. Another thing is I only use one ball. Pretty simple as all I use is one of my chipping clubs/wedges, leaving my putter in the bag. After chipping to the hole, I putt the ball into the hole using only my chipping club. What I do is hit the ball at it's equator with the leading edge of the club. How does this help? The leading edge of my chipping clubs are some what rounded, and not flat like the face of my putter. In order for the ball to roll straight, I have to contact the ball's equator with the exact center of of my chipping club's leading edge. If I miss even a little to either side, I will either push, or pull the putt. In other words it helps me eliminate heel, and toe hits (pushes & pulls) when using my putter. Today I chipped, and one putted for an up & down 42, out 50 tries. My chips are from various distances, and angles to the pin. Where ever the ball stops is where I putt from. Now to avoid any difference in weight issues between my chipping clubs, and my putter, I always finish up my putting practice with my putter. Just food for thought. :comp:

I do that same thing quite a bit too. Although I must admit, I don't do it as practice, mostly it is just goofing off and being lazy. I do it on the course every once in a while so I don't have to switch out the clubs. Usually it is only when I chip one within a few feet and it is an easy putt. I have actally gotten pretty good at it.

The other thing I do along the same lines is to hit putts lefthanded with the back of the putter (need a blade style to do this). It serves the same purpose of hitting the ball at the equater. Kind of fun too.

When I practice indoors on the carpet, I take two golf balls. One I put somewhere and another which I will hit. The drill is to hit the golfball I have and try to hit the other golf ball with it, this way if you get good at hitting the golf ball that you placed maybe 10 feet away, you will almost always make your putts on the course, because you've learned to get good at hitting such a small target consistently.

When I practice indoors on the carpet, I take two golf balls. One I put somewhere and another which I will hit. The drill is to hit the golfball I have and try to hit the other golf ball with it, this way if you get good at hitting the golf ball that you placed maybe 10 feet away, you will almost always make your putts on the course, because you've learned to get good at hitting such a small target consistently.

I do something similar indoors. I use 3 balls. I hit the first to a random spot. Then try and hit it with the second. When they collide the two should split a little, so I try and hit the third in between the two.

I usually go even smaller when I practice at home, try it with a dime.

Back