provisional

Could Care Less
Reaction score
Handicap
10+/-
A few years ago I was involved in a clean up of a golf course that went out of business. It was located on borrowed federal land, and the feds wanted it cleaned up. During this task, I came into possession of about 5K golf balls, that had been lost over the years. For the past couple of years I have bagged up 50-60 of these balls and used them at the driving range. Not everytime, because I did purchase tokens for the ball machine. Basically I was giving the golf course more range balls. 90% were pretty much in new condition. Fast foreward. American Golf lost their contract to run the golf course, and Billy Casper's group took over. This is a good change, and better management group for this course. However; Today I was told I could no longer use "white" golf balls on the driving range. Why? because now, they only allow yellow golf balls to used on this driving range. Specifically Srixon Yellow Range Balls. Of course these Srixon balls are only available at the pro shop, for around $0.10+/- a piece. Heaven forbid. I was beating BC out of 5 or 6 dollars. I have purchased a few buckets of them since the new managment group brought them in. At first I thought the guy was kidding, but he told me he was not, and that I had to quit hitting the white balls. I laughed about it, and asked a few sarcastic questions, then went to the 19th hole for a $2.00 soda. I will continue to golf at this place. I usually spend about $75.00 week on golf rounds, and other items. I just won't be showing up with "white range balls" any more....lol :confused2: Then again there are other course in the area. Perhaps they can use some extra "white" range balls until I get rid of my stockpile. :bicker:

My guess it has more to do with you using the facilities without paying for range balls than the color of the balls.

I have no doubt that is their reasoning. But then again they don't enforce the "no out side food or beverage" rules they have set up. I see folks in there all the time eating, and drinking out side food, and beverages. They have no liquor license as yet, but most trash cans are full of empty beer cans. The course marshals see this too, but don't enforce that rule. :confused2: It was more funny than irritating for me. Like I posted, the BC group is doing a better job of managing this course, than the old group was. I'll be back there on Sunday for my usual 18 hole walk. I can still play the course with "white" balls. :banana:

My guess it has more to do with you using the facilities without paying for range balls than the color of the balls.

JB makes an excellent point but I cant believe they would give you a hard time when you donating that many balls. well you can always ship me a few bags if you want...haha

I have to say, I kind of agree with the course on this one. Not that I think it is right for people to bring in food or drink, but lets face it, most courses do not monitor that rule. But almost every course I know says that to use the range you must use their range balls. They figure (whether right or wrong) that it is like renting space.

Some other possibilities here:

1.) Maybe they would/are getting complaints from other members? The range looks a lot more professional when a stack or bucket has all matching brands.

2.) They have an endorsement contract with Srixon. (my local range uses Nike exclusively)

I actually did ship several hundred over to Irag to golfing relatives stationed over there. They tell me their sand games are now pro tour quality. :clapp:

JB makes an excellent point but I cant believe they would give you a hard time when you donating that many balls. well you can always ship me a few bags if you want...haha

I actually did ship several hundred over to Irag to golfing relatives stationed over there. They tell me their sand games are now pro tour quality. :clapp:

At least their sand games right :D

lol...thats awesome that you did that. bravo

Yup +2 to you.

I can't disagree with your take on this. But from my point of view, rules are rules, and those in charges should not be selective on which rules they should enforce. One of the questions I asked the guy, (who incidentley could not tell me why I had to use their balls) was "do I have to use your yellow balls over on their short game practice area?" He told me no, just on their driving range. So in other words I can take up space on their short game area free of charge, but not on the driving range. In reality there is more damage being caused on the short game practice area than on the range, because there is very little grass on the driving range to damage. If it were me I would charge to use the short game area, since it requires more up keep in the form of watering, equipment, and man hours. It's a money issue for sure, and I don't have a problem with that. :comp:

I have to say, I kind of agree with the course on this one. Not that I think it is right for people to bring in food or drink, but lets face it, most courses do not monitor that rule. But almost every course I know says that to use the range you must use their range balls. They figure (whether right or wrong) that it is like renting space.

While I agree that no course should only enforce certain rules at certain times, I do not know of any course that makes people use range balls at putting greens and chipping greens. Because to work on those parts of the game, most people want to use the ball they will be playing with (ie spinnier balls). However the range is where most courses make SIGNIFICANT income and I must say I understand the policy and at my club, it would bother me a little if people were coming up there with shag bags and hitting their own balls out there.

I agree with JB here. I'm sure these courses rely on the revenue they receive from the driving range facilities. To me, it's kind of like sneaking into the movie theater with out buying a ticket.

Ive noticed a lot of the courses by me are starting to switch over to yellow Srixons and I must say I dont like them. I do get stoked when I find the regular ball in my bucket. I would probably buy a half bucket when I went and then hit 10 or 15 of my balls. If they still had a problem I would stop going there.

Just a follow up. I bought a small bucket of balls today to up warm with before my round. Guess what. Mixed in with those yellow Srixon balls were quite a few regular white balls. Same with other folks' buckets at the range. Glad they are getting some use out of all those white balls, that myself, and others have introduced to their ball pick up tractor. Started the day at 81 degrees F, and walk off the 18th green in 92*F. Warm weather is finally here in the desert southwest. :banana:

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one. I still think what they are doing is completely right.

I don't know how much range balls cost now. Back in the early '90s I think they were about $0.25/ball. At least that's how much the pro said they were, as he yelled at me for not picking the range cleanly enough.

If that still holds true, then I'm a little surprised that they don't want your shag balls. If you hit more than 24 balls, then they've made $6.00 off of you (as long as you're not going out there and shagging your own balls).

The range at the course I worked at was surrounded by two holes, so there were always other balls in the range. We'd watch the balls come out of the washer and pull out the good ones. We let the pro keep the top-flites.

If you are looking for something to do with the rest of the balls, contact the local First Tee. Mine is always looking for donated balls. They let the kids have them, and they sell them cheap to grown-ups.

There is nothing to disagree, or agree on. At best it is just a silly story. The Srixon range balls cost $0.10 each. It's a money issue pure and simple for them. Before I retired at 55 I ran my own company, so I do understand business, and more importantly the ROI factor. It was never my intention to beat them out of $5 or $6 dollars a week. I pay $25 to walk 18 holes 2 or 3 times a week, and figured bringing in my own warm up/practice balls was ok. I will still continue to golf there. The company that lost the contract told me I could use my own range balls a few years ago, I just wrongly assumed it was still ok when the new company took over since no signage was ever posted. There is another course down the street that rents balls for $0.07 each. Difference is at $0.10 you can hit off sanded turf, with a little actual grass. At $0.07 you hit off mats. As for donating them I do that all the time. Balls, clubs, and other equipment for that matter. My grandson's golf team comes by from time to time collect a few. I probably have fewer than 500 balls left. I don't use them for my regular rounds because they are of various brands, and age which also means various ball flights, and distances. Most likely I will just use them at another course who has told me they had no issues with me using them on their range. I will be golfing with another nephew later on this week in Texas who is also being shipped over to a middle eastern war zone. I will probably send him a bunch once he gets settled in. I just thought it was funny that it is not ok to bring in your own range balls, but ok to re-rent the one's already there. It's a dead issue now.........:comp:

Good thinking.

But as for the range. I work at a course and the range is into water so I dont care if people hit there own balls because I will never see them. But Think about it A golf course is renavating there range buy putting yellow range balls in. Then you are coming along hitting off there grass with your own balls. It dose cost them to keep the range nice. But anyway You are not making the course look good and that is what they are trying to do. So sorry but you should not be doing that. IMO..

Back