• Older versions (Windows)

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Ubuntu Linux

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Floppy

Reaction score
So, what operating system do you run?

Today, I set up a dual boot with Windows Vista Home Ultimate 64-bit and Ubuntu Linux 8.10 64-bit. I actually like Ubuntu quite a bit.

Boring ole Windows XP.

In our house we have both Mac and Windows Vista. Then on one laptop we have Vista. And both our netbooks have XP

Right now I am dual booting Win 98 and Win XP. That's only because I had an old golf game that I couldn't play on XP so I set aside a 5 gig partition for Win 98 to run only that. Now I have found the game to run on XP so, as soon as I decide to do a reformat, I'll be setting up a dual boot with XP and ubuntu.

xp

One version or the other of Xp on 6 of them.98 on the one I run DOS games on.

Two desktops running XP, one laptop running Vista and one 7 year old laptop running Kubuntu Linux.

XP and Windows 7 Beta running on the desktop machines. Various flavours of Linux at times as well with the latest being Linux Mint.

Also running Mac OS on a Macbook Pro.

I was a Mac guy from 1985 until about 1998. The price differential finally dragged me reluctantly into the Windows camp.

After going through FIVE laptops in 10 years (An Acer, 2 Gateways and 2 Dells) and spending hundreds of hours fighting the miserable Microsoft operating systems (Vista is a complete JOKE!) I gave up this winter and bought a Macbook Pro. It cost about what 3 PC laptops cost- but oh my... what a difference. Works flawlessly. No conflicts. No blue screens. No hassles.

Sometimes the "cheapest" solution to a problem turns out to be by FAR the most expensive!! I've wasted THOUSANDS of dollars worth of my time and burned through THOUSANDS of dollars woth of mid-price-level PC laptops that last for 18-30 months at best.

Ahhh.... it's good to be "home" to Mac and please forgive the rant! :beat-up:

Pinged I wonder what would have happened if you spent the same thing on a PC.

Pinged I wonder what would have happened if you spent the same thing on a PC.

I MIGHT have had better hardware reliability- but I can't imagine it would have solved the endless, nightmarish software conflicts. They were bad with XP pro but absolutely unacceptable in Vista. I finally tried go to back and re-install XP pro in a new Vista Dell and discovered Microsoft makes it (all but) impossible to do a "backwards" downgrade. (Technically- a hot shot can do it but a mere mortal can't.)

It was enlightening though. In the countless problems I experienced with Microsoft products and PC machines I spent 100's of hours talking to people in India that I couldn't understand. My wife refused all along to change and her Mac Powerbook is now about 5 years old, has never had a software problem and has had 2 hardware problems. Each time I phoned on a Monday, spoke to an American who shipped out a return box that arrived the next morning. On Tuesday (both times) I inserted her Mac in the box and dropped it off later that day at a UPS or FedEx facility where it went overnight (free to me) to Houston and arrived Wednesday morning. And in both cases- her machine arrived bright and early Thursday morning with anything and everything replaced to be like new at no charge under Applecare. 96 hours from phonecall to happy camper in both cases. Beats weeks of hassle and needing a language interpreter.

One $1000 Gateway laptop, for instance, spent almost SEVEN WEEKS at the local Gateway repair facility- and failed identically within 48 hours of finally getting it back. ARGH!

Besides... I would never have left Mac in the first place if I were spending comparable dollars. I was always delighted with Mac hardware/software and the ONLY reason I switched was to supposedly get a "comparable" machine with "comparable" operating system for 1/3 of the price.

All's well that ends well I guess.

I too like my Mac and find the cost unaccpetable. My issue with Mac though is once again the lack of software that is available.

morning guys...

my wife is a computer scientist, and she keeps us hooked up with all the bomb stuff ... we have a house full of mac / windows ...

about 1 or 2 years ago she talked me into playing with some of the macs we have in the house, and it took me all of about 2 or 3 days to become a convert...

i still use windows for my work type stuff, but everything else i do is on a mac ...

I always hear all these horror stories about ms.I'm been a pc user since 94 from dos to Xp. I haven't expierienced any problems that weren't hardware oriented and fixable.Then again I don't use the comp for anything except internet and gaming.

I used to be a Windows system admin in college (3.1 - Win95 days). I did some grad work towards a CS masters, primarily coding on Linux/Unix boxes. My last desktop used to dual boot XP and Fedora or Suse Linux.

However, soon after I had a job building/administering a couple clusters I ran into a guy who got me to look at Macs. I don't think I'll own another non-Mac machine for personal use. For powerusers, it's got pretty much all of the Linuxy goodness, but when you don't want to get that deep into the OS, it just flat works.

Personally, I don't find Mac hardware too expensive. Since IBM sold the Thinkpad line to Lenovo, IMHO Apple has the best laptops out there. Still need Windows for compatibility? No problem, install Boot Camp and use your Mac as a PC, or install an emulator like Parallels.

Yes, you can get a $300 laptop out there. You can also buy a $30 motorcycle helmet if you've got a $30 head. My personal time is worth more to me than dealing with Microsoft.

Ive got Windows Vista and I hate it. Ive had my computer about 4 months and recently had to reload all my software because of a bluescreen error.
Its got me seriously considering going with a Mac for my next computer because it seems like Macs dont have anywhere near as many problems with software and viruses.

Currently at my place I have 3 desktops + the work laptop. The two new desktops I built in January are running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and have been flawless so far. The older desktop is running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and also has been flawless. My work laptop is a Windows XP machine and still has to use IE6 - gotta love corporate IT policy.

I also don't get how so many people have troubles with Windows vs Mac OS. Hardware issues are irrelevant, since the current computers (Mac or PC) use basically identical hardware. I started life on the Mac SE in high school (circa 1988) and used my first PC in college (1992 - DOS + Windows 3.0). Converted to full PC-only use shortly after, although I've played with Macs here and there. Now, with Win95/98/98SE/Millennium there were definitely issues and the BSOD was easy enough to cause - but I've crashed plenty of Macs without much effort during the same time frame. :confused2:

Since Win XP came out, it's been a pretty stable OS. Software hasn't been an issue for me, almost every issue I've had since then was hardware failure. And after all these years, the Mac OS still has crap for software choices. Add that to the added cost just because it has an Apple symbol and says Mac on the case and I'm left dumbfounded.

Ive got Windows Vista and I hate it. Ive had my computer about 4 months and recently had to reload all my software because of a bluescreen error.
Its got me seriously considering going with a Mac for my next computer because it seems like Macs dont have anywhere near as many problems with software and viruses.

Look up a tutorial for dualbooting Vista and Ubuntu. I really like Ubuntu, and while it's kinda confusing at first...it's really, really cool.

I always hear all these horror stories about ms.I'm been a pc user since 94 from dos to Xp. I haven't expierienced any problems that weren't hardware oriented and fixable.

Me neither Jeff. A virus recently, but that's hardly MS's fault. I've found XP to be incredibly stable and I use my laptop for everything (except gaming.)

I just can't wrap my head around the price of Macs when the pc has been so good to me.I've built all my comps except for the 1st and I totally rehabbed it.Still have it with a Voodoo5 to play some old glide flight sims.

I just can't wrap my head around the price of Macs when the pc has been so good to me.I've built all my comps except for the 1st and I totally rehabbed it.Still have it with a Voodoo5 to play some old glide flight sims.

I use my PC to game, so Macs are completely out of question, but I agree. PC's are NOT as bad as they sound from people...I've only had one problem before with Vista Home 32-bit, but it wasn't that big of a deal.
Not to mention, I'm really liking Ubuntu, so if you want to try it out, you can just dualboot Vista/XP and Ubuntu. Better than Mac, I think.
However, I use Leopard in school, and it's not bad. The older OS' from them were terrible, but Leopard isn't bad.

Me neither Jeff. A virus recently, but that's hardly MS's fault. I've found XP to be incredibly stable and I use my laptop for everything (except gaming.)

I have also been a PC user since the early 90's when windows was first becoming a consumer product and not once have I ever had an issue with anything. I hear the horror stories and have a Mac as well, but no way was it worth the money for one of their notebooks IMHO. I have a Mac Mini that costs $600

I have also been a PC user since the early 90's when windows was first becoming a consumer product and not once have I ever had an issue with anything. I hear the horror stories and have a Mac as well, but no way was it worth the money for one of their notebooks IMHO. I have a Mac Mini that costs $600

I love that commercial where the girl goes shopping for a laptop and she goes to the Apple store but they only have 1 laptop in her price range but it's a 13" screen and she says . . . "I'm just not cool enough to be a Mac person." That's how I feel. I'm just not cool (or rich) enough.

[YOUTUBE]EIS6G-HvnkU[/YOUTUBE]

Since IBM sold the Thinkpad line to Lenovo, IMHO Apple has the best laptops out there. Still need Windows for compatibility? No problem, install Boot Camp and use your Mac as a PC, or install an emulator like Parallels.

Lenovos are garbage. I just had to have my tech support guys wipe and reinstall mine because it decided it didn't want to connect to the network anymore.

I had a Toshiba Satellite for five years before that, and it worked like a champ until the hard drive finally failed.

XP is fine, but boring. I've only played with Vista. It's different enough to be annoying, but I don't see where it really changes the game.

I love Ubuntu. I've resurrected a few old PCs with it. Tried it on an old laptop I inherited this weekend and couldn't install it. Couldn't even run it off the live CD. I also tried installing VMWare ESXi and couldn't get that to install either. Yet I could install XP Pro on it.

As for the Mac OS, I like what my friend Kelli has to say about it:
Macs are like pro wrestling. Every few years they get popular again.

Back