Golf Digest Editor's Blog Re: "Golf for Women"

I'm looking at the April 2009 issue. The one with Lefty on the cover. It starts after the Azinger article. And it was actually 22 pages long.

I'm looking at the April 2009 issue. The one with Lefty on the cover. It starts after the Azinger article. And it was actually 22 pages long.

If there is one in yours, you go a different issue than I did. I'm looking at my copy right now and after the Azinger article (which is pages 134-W6 <--whatever "W6" means), there are 5 pages of ads for Oregon tourism, then the a few pages for "Breaking 100/90/80" tips on pages 143-146 (which have a woman as a model, but it is not "womens' supplement" in any way shape or form), the credits page (i.e., buy what you saw here), 1 full page ad for the Champions tour) and next is the upside-down pages (the rest of the magazine) for the Masters section.

What did you get?

If there is one in yours, you go a different issue than I did. I'm looking at my copy right now and after the Azinger article (which is pages 134-W6 <--whatever "W6" means), there are 5 pages of ads for Oregon tourism, then the a few pages for "Breaking 100/90/80" tips on pages 143-146 (which have a woman as a model, but it is not "womens' supplement" in any way shape or form), the credits page (i.e., buy what you saw here), 1 full page ad for the Champions tour) and next is the upside-down pages (the rest of the magazine) for the Masters section.

What did you get?

I'm guessing that "W" means west (I'm assuming PNW means Pacific NorthWest). My Azinger article is 134 - MA6 (MA probably means Mid Atlantic). Then we have about 20 or so pages of articles for women before the Breaking 100/90/90 article.

I realize I'd be breaking every copyright law known to man, but would the forum mind if I scan the articles and post a PDF?

Hmmm. The only thing in my magazine before the breaking 100/90/80 pages is a subscription renewal card.

That's a tad ironic . . .

EDIT: I've emailed customer service:

I would like to know why my April 2009 issue of Golf Digest did not include the "Golf Digest Woman" supplement. At first, I believed that Golf Digest had simply not produced the supplement as promised. But now I have learned that some subscribers received the supplement, while others did not.

What gives?

Hmmm. The only thing in my magazine before the breaking 100/90/80 pages is a subscription renewal card.

That's a tad ironic . . .

The regional editions are not all that surprising. What is surprising (or possibly not surprising, given your assessment of GD's competence) is that they only put the GFW section on certain regional editions. I wonder if it's test marketing, or gross incompetence.

just checked. Got nothing in FL.

FL edition I believe.
I have Azinger article
2 pages of ads for "sunshine state of mind" fl tourism
then 100,90,80 with the lady teacher.

Weird that they would only put in the MA edition.

Okay, I know I'm always joking about how so-and-so must be reading my posts/threads because their website changed right after I mentioned something . . .

. . . but now the Golf Digest Woman page has been completley updated after several months of nothing . . .

No more articles from October 2008, the section on the 2008 Hot List is gone, new reviews of equipment, new interviews, etc.

harry,
you joke about it, but I send those links to my contact there.

Okay, I know I'm always joking about how so-and-so must be reading my posts/threads because their website changed right after I mentioned something . . .

. . . but now the Golf Digest Woman page has been completley updated after several months of nothing . . .

No more articles from October 2008, the section on the 2008 Hot List is gone, new reviews of equipment, new interviews, etc.

Where is it? I can't find it?

I think the original answer was pretty clear.
"But let's face it. We are a magazine with predominantly (more than 90 per cent) male subscribers and about 80 per cent male readers."
Just follow the money....

I think the original answer was pretty clear.
"But let's face it. We are a magazine with predominantly (more than 90 per cent) male subscribers and about 80 per cent male readers."
Just follow the money....

Except . . .

I'm sure the readership of Golf for Women was 90% female, no? If GD increased the amount of content relevant to women golfers, I'm sure the number of female readers would increase. Right now, women have virtually no incentive to read GD.

I agree and think it's unfair, but someone thought this made financial sense. I'm sure they have bean counters figuring out if they sell more magazines when they include women focused content.

Here is the response I got to my email:

Dear XXXXXXXXXX:

We have added your account to receive the future Golf Digest Women's supplements.

We are sorry for any inconvenience.

Golf Digest
PO Box 37065
Boone, IA 50037-0065
1-800-727-4653

You may visit our website to access your account online at http://www.golfdigest.com

Simply click on "QUESTIONS" in the upper right hand corner of the main page.

Your account number will be required for entry:XXXXXXXXX

If you should need further assistance, please be sure to include all previous e-mail correspondence.

Thank you again for your interest in Golf Digest.

Sincerely,

Cathi

Eff you too Golf Digest.

She has a chip on her shoulder because her parents spelled her name Cathi instead of Cathy.

Well I suppose it's good to know they employ women.

Here is the response I got to my email:

Eff you too Golf Digest.

Are they going to send you the April supplement separately? Send you a PDF of it? Anything?

Are they going to send you the April supplement separately? Send you a PDF of it? Anything?

I sent them a follow up today asking for exactly that (and information on why I, and most others, didn't receive it in the first place). I'll post when/if I get a response.

Hardcore-

A couple of questions:

1. Was the women's section a separate supplement (a pull-out, for example) or just part of the magazine?

2. Did you get your issue at the store or do you have a subscription? If a subscription, is the name on your subscription one that could be interpreted as a female's name? (I guess the classic example is "Pat")

its_pat.jpg

Back