Sergio's post-Masters comments

I really don't want to say this again, but I am NOT excusing his actions, I am just stating a possibility that make explain his actions. I understand why people don't leave him alone, but I feel they should, at least with something as small and unimportant as saying he doesn't like the course.

Dude I hate to push you anymore but he brought this on himself, I see no reason to not bash him. It's not like this is his first time doing this....

I really don't want to say this again, but I am NOT excusing his actions, I am just stating a possibility that make explain his actions. I understand why people don't leave him alone, but I feel they should, at least with something as small and unimportant as saying he doesn't like the course.

Dude I hate to push you anymore but he brought this on himself, I see no reason to not bash him. It's not like this is his first time doing this....

Refer to the bolded part of my last post.

Yes you say you feel people SHOULD leave him alone, I disagree. Can't stand the guy, would be thrilled if I never saw him on US soil again.

Yes you say you feel people SHOULD leave him alone, I disagree. Can't stand the guy, would be thrilled if I never saw him on US soil again.

I'm saying they should leave him alone when me makes a comment as small as not liking the way the course was, that's not a big deal.

Maybe 907 dis-respect has a role to play in this matter. It's personal opinion, but the fact that he shot +1, did terribly and then more so complained about the course is in my view dis-respect. Lots of people worked hard to make that course what it is, and no other pro had a problem with it. As far as having mudballs on the fairway, wasn't there a storm on Friday? and not once did I see anything like that.

He seems to be taking comments from his rear on the spot. If he doesn't like it don't play there. He seems to come back every year.

You don't insult a gracious host because you played poorly, you don't insult Agusta ever...you keep your mouth shut and complain to your buddies in private not on National Television. It's immature, it's disrespectful and it's not okay - end of story. Like I said this isn't an isolated event, Sergio blames everyone but Sergio.

Maybe 907 dis-respect has a role to play in this matter. It's personal opinion, but the fact that he shot +1, did terribly and then more so complained about the course is in my view dis-respect. Lots of people worked hard to make that course what it is, and no other pro had a problem with it. As far as having mudballs on the fairway, wasn't there a storm on Friday? and not once did I see anything like that.

He seems to be taking comments from his rear on the spot. If he doesn't like it don't play there. He seems to come back every year.

You don't insult a gracious host because you played poorly, you don't insult Agusta ever...you keep your mouth shut and complain to your buddies in private not on National Television. It's immature, it's disrespectful and it's not okay - end of story. Like I said this isn't an isolated event, Sergio blames everyone but Sergio.

Okay, so just for the sake of argument, Sergio played very well, but he still voiced his dislike for the course, is it then okay that he "insulted" the course?

Okay, so just for the sake of argument, Sergio played very well, but he still voiced his dislike for the course, is it then okay that he "insulted" the course?

First off Sergio would never win so that's a bad "what if" lol....and yes it would still be in poor taste.

First off Sergio would never win so that's a bad "what if" lol....and yes it would still be in poor taste.

Alright, fair enough. I'm still not clear as to why it's so terrible and the end of the world that he said he didn't like the was the course was set up this year.

Alright, fair enough. I'm still not clear as to why it's so terrible and the end of the world that he said he didn't like the was the course was set up this year.

It's not entirely what he said but how he said it as well.

It would still be bad yes, but I'm sure had he placed high he wouldn't have said that.

I actually agree with your argument that what he said was not so terrible. However his past mistakes make it come off as a whiner. Can you imagine if Tiger would have said this? Every news station out there would be burying the guy. So with Sergio he gets what he asks for. Because people expect him at this point to whine and complain, when he does it, its not the end of the world. But the few that still liked him are falling off fast.

Alright I think we should just agree to disagree, obviously its a big deal to you guys, and not a big deal to me, and we aren't going to sway each other.

I actually agree with your argument that what he said was not so terrible. However his past mistakes make it come off as a whiner. Can you imagine if Tiger would have said this? Every news station out there would be burying the guy. So with Sergio he gets what he asks for. Because people expect him at this point to whine and complain, when he does it, its not the end of the world. But the few that still liked him are falling off fast.

I didn't see him as a whiner exactly, personally. I see where people are coming from, but I guess I just view this type of stuff differently then most. But I like him for his golf game, and I feel he is a great player who just needs that break through win.

So let me ask you this 907? Is what your saying in your eyes is that it really does not matter what he says, because you are a fan of his?

So let me ask you this 907? Is what your saying in your eyes is that it really does not matter what he says, because you are a fan of his?

Actually the opposite, I'm a fan despite his actions.

Sergio showed bitterness towards AN in his interview, and handled it unprofessionally and that seems to be more of the issue. When asked what they could do to change it instead of suggestions he commented that they could do whatever they want, he'll just play and go home. Very poor choice of words all together, and that shows by the retraction that was issued shortly after.

That said, we need to put this argument to bed. It is what it is, there is no denying he has the talent to win a bunch of majors, maybe just not the right attitude.

So with that being said, nobody should be debating anything here, because you agree and acknowledge the fact that if you take his game out of the equation, his actions are POOR AT BEST!

So with that being said, nobody should be debating anything here, because you agree and acknowledge the fact that if you take his game out of the equation, his actions are POOR AT BEST!

I did, and as I have already said multiple times, I am NOT defending him, I'm just offering a possibility that may explain his actions. I have also said we should just agree to disagree as no one will be swayed either way.

Who really cares what Sergio says? He did the same thing he always does, brought negative attention towards himself, nothing new there. Happens in all sports, you get football players flipping off patrons in the stands, basketball players going into the stands to beat up people, Nascar racers complaining about certain tracks & officiating, etc.

If it had been Tiger or Phil making the comments then it would be news, but because it's Sergio it's just more of the same.

What a big baby. Just suck it up and admit that you didn't play well. Its the MASTERS, the course is impeccable.

Who really cares what Sergio says? He did the same thing he always does, brought negative attention towards himself, nothing new there. Happens in all sports, you get football players flipping off patrons in the stands, basketball players going into the stands to beat up people, Nascar racers complaining about certain tracks & officiating, etc.

If it had been Tiger or Phil making the comments then it would be news, but because it's Sergio it's just more of the same.

That sums up my thoughts as well Dyna. There always has to be somebody that people love to hate, usually though it's an athlete that's winning a lot. (Jeff Gordon, Reggie Jackson etc.) One of my favorite memories was Ricky Henderson flipping off the fans at Royals stadium. We were sitting in the old General Admission seats (cheap tix) and the fans were heckling him, finally he decided he had taken enough and flipped the bird to the stands behind his back. Needless to say that only caused the fans to start yelling louder and more vulgar phrases at him. Good times:D

I think though if Tiger said the same thing people would be ripping on Augusta. Tiger is too polished in his image to say anything like Sergio said.

The only way to keep Sergio from sticking his foot in his mouth is for his handlers to be right there with him and not let him talk to the media until they can calm him down and get him to actually think about what he is going to say or tell him what to say.

I gues GolfSmith made out like a bandit for all those who were suckerd into thinking he had a chance.

Hey Serge...next time just take your frustrations out at the driving range.

I gues GolfSmith made out like a bandit for all those who were suckerd into thinking he had a chance.

You're forgetting he doesn't practice. He just shows up, loses, and goes home. ;)

I know...I never thought he would win to begin with anyway but I guess if you wanted a new driver anyway....

Back