What is Up With People and Zoos?!?!

Harry Longshanks

ILikeBigPutts&ICannotLie
Reaction score
I'm gonna be so pissed if anything happens to the bear because of this.

Polar bear attacks woman at Berlin Zoo

art.polar.bear.jpg

BERLIN, Germany (CNN) -- A polar bear attacked a woman at Berlin Zoo Friday afternoon after she climbed a fence and jumped into its habitat during feeding time, police said Saturday.

One adult polar bit her several times after she plunged into the moat, police said.

Zoo workers tossed rescue rings toward the woman to hoist her out and distract polar bears swimming nearby, said Goerg Gebhard, a Berlin police officer.

"They saved her life," Gebhard told CNN.

The woman was severely injured and was being treated at a hospital, police said.

It's unclear why the woman entered the bear habitat, but police issued her a citation for trespassing.

Same here, if anything happens to the bear, then that's just insane.

Geez...that lady is an idiot. IMO, if you are dumb enough to climb into the bear's habitat at a zoo during feeding time, you deserve to be eaten.

At least it isn't in the U.S. The lady would probably sue the zoo for making it possible for her to be a moron.

No doubt. Its like Ron White says, "you cant fix stupid".

Wow, that is one of the stupidest things that I've seen.

This reminds me of one of that one polar bear attack that I saw on animal planet where the lady did the same sort of thing this lady did, which was being somewhere you weren't supposed to be, and she ended up getting mauled too. Where is the common sense anymore lol

People jumping into bear pits and gorilla pits has been happening a lot the past few years. If it's a suicide attempt, it sure is a painful way to go - being eaten alive and all. Hell, if it's the last thing you are going to do, why not get on a plane to the North Pole and lay down on a glacier and let a polar bear eat you. Or go Alaska and taunt a Grizzly Bear mom with her cubs. Don't subject school children on a field trip to your mental illness.

This reminds me of one of that one polar bear attack that I saw on animal planet where the lady did the same sort of thing this lady did, which was being somewhere you weren't supposed to be, and she ended up getting mauled too. Where is the common sense anymore lol
Exactly. I dont know if some people live in a bubble all their lives and never get out of the city, but these animals are still wild animals who would think nothing of making a meal out of you.
They are not all cute and cudly and they do not going to let you pet them.
I guess this is an example of what I would call, "natural selection". If you are dumb enough to get into a polar bear's cage, you deserve to be eaten and you should not be allowed to reproduce.
Im sure that sounds kinda cold and heartless, but oh well. :confused2:

At the aquarium we had a little tank where you could pet small sharks and rays. They were very docile except at feeding time, when they would snap at everything in front of their faces. I got bit once, and I know most of my other coworkers have gotten bit their share of times. It's OK though, since we're grown people, it's not too bad. But with a small child, it could take off a finger.

We had to feed them around 3 pm daily. I had a little headset microphone so I could talk about the sharks and explain what I was doing and try to keep little hands out of the water, while I fed the sharks and ran a net through to clean the water, a process which took around 3-5 minutes. I would be on the microphone begging adults to help remember to keep small hands out of the water, or you will get bit.

Kids listen well. Great! I never had problems. The ones I had trouble with were the adults. Fathers would pick up their little one or two year olds and dunk their hands in the water by force. The poor kids had no idea what I was saying and the adults didn't care. These were grown 40 year old men, they should know better! I wanted to yell at them, and I tried my best, but I always had to stay so damn perky.

Most of the time these things happen, its because the people think the animals are talking to them.

If this wasn't a suicide attempt and this woman just wanted to pet the nice polar bear while it ate I feel the zoo keepers should have stayed out of it and let Darwin's Law of Natural Selection take over. She's obviously too dumb to propagate the species.

I blame Disney.

My dog would beg to differ.

I'm gonna be so pissed if anything happens to the bear because of this.

lol, what an idiot. she deserved to get bit. and i agree, NOTHING should happen to that bear because of this.

What a moron, I love how they just have a picture of her getting attacked.

I like in the video where she falls back into the water, goes underwater, and the polar bear submerges to get her.

At what point in your mind would you think that going into a polar bear exhibit would be a good idea?

I think she may owe her life to the dude with the long prong thing. (Which she stupidly tried to grab and perhaps ensured she would slide out of the ring when they were hoisting her fat butt out of there at the beginning of the video.) It looked like at least a couple times the bear backed off when the guy hit it with the prong.

I think she may owe her life to the dude with the long prong thing. (Which she stupidly tried to grab and perhaps ensured she would slide out of the ring when they were hoisting her fat butt out of there at the beginning of the video.) It looked like at least a couple times the bear backed off when the guy hit it with the prong.

The CNN video crops out some of the video in order to focus on the woman. Other videos show the other 2 bears.

[YOUTUBE]lHHIl2LkxRY[/YOUTUBE]

My favorite par is what the other two bears are doing. The one in the foreground is hangin' out, playing with the life preserver; and the one in the middle just seems confused about all the fuss - he's just watchin' his buddy play with the new toy that seems to be screaming a lot.

The same thing happened here in Richmond, VA and they were forced to euthanize the bear. But the zoo staff and most of us here in town would rather have seen the woman put down.

Back