Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it was 2003, when they started 9-0 and something like 17-3 and limped home about four games over .500. That was the year that Sweeney got locked in to finish his contract since the stipulation was the Royals would finish above .500 in the first few years of the contract.

Was that the same year Berroa won Rookie of the Year?

Could have been, it was around that time. I'll check it out.

EDIT: Yes it was, and he never lived up to the promise he showed.

This is from Wikipedia:

Berroa became the fourth member of the Royals to win the Rookie of the Year award, following Lou Piniella (1969), Bob Hamelin (1994), and Carlos Beltrán (1999). The decision was controversial as Berroa beat out both Baldelli and Matsui in the closest vote since 1980, prompting criticism from Yankee owner George Steinbrenner. While some players and sports writers believe veteran Japanese players who come to play baseball in the United States should not be considered rookies, Major League Baseball rules allow them to win the award. Debate over the definition of a rookie aside, Berroa's backers pointed to their identical batting averages and Berroa's greater home run total while hitting in a weaker Kansas City lineup and playing a more demanding position. Matsui's backers pointed to his higher RBI total and on-base percentage while playing in the media spotlight of New York City, and previous Rookie of the Year Awards having been given to countrymen Hideo Nomo and Ichiro Suzuki.

Following his rookie year, Berroa's performance went down annually in on-base percentage, runs, slugging percentage, and stolen bases. His fielding statistics included 77 errors from 2003–2005 (24, 28 —leading all Major League shortstops while he had the lowest fielding percentage among shortstops — .955, 25) that were the most among starting American League shortstops in that time span. Berroa has also produced declining walk totals in the years after his Rookie of the Year award. Berroa walked once very 21 plate appearances in 2003, but had fallen to a 36-to-1 PA/BB ratio in 2005. In both 2005 and 2006, he walked only 2.9% of the time, the second-worst and then the worst percentage in Major League Baseball.

The disappointment in Berroa's development may be related to being caught up in the "Age-gate" fiasco in early 2002 when many Latin American players, subjected to greater scrutiny by the United States government, turned out to be older than they claimed. Berroa was two years older than thought when he was drafted by Oakland and traded to Kansas City.

After a disappointing 2007 spring training, the Royals traded for another shortstop, Tony Peña, Jr.. Berroa, having lost his starting shortstop role, spent most of the 2007 season in Triple-A Omaha, appearing in only nine games for the Major League club. He again failed to make the 2008 club and spent the first two months in Omaha.

He played a big part in LAs post season run last year as a utility guy, but thats a far fall from what he was in 2003. The Yankees signed him this year, but they already released him. Ill never forget when he came out to celebrate with a snorkel and mask last year.
DSC00015a.jpg

He played a big part in LAs post season run last year as a utility guy, but thats a far fall from what he was in 2003. The Yankees signed him this year, but they already released him. Ill never forget when he came out to celebrate with a snorkel and mask last year.
DSC00015a.jpg

That's where Woody got it!

woody.jpg

Was that the same year Berroa won Rookie of the Year?

What a waste of talent, from what I heard he had problems focusing. Literally, like the kids you see in a tee ball game kicking dirt and picking dandelions in the outfield.

We get Pudge but have no one to throw the ball to him....

Looks like it will be a long season for this Astros fan

The Royals are looking good again tonight, hopefully the bullpen doesn't blow another one. Greinke is looking pretty nasty on the mound.

Pudge is one of my all-time favorite players.

Well at least you dont have to see Woody Williams every fifth day. They might make a run at Pedro.

Pudge is one of my all-time favorite players.
Yep, he is going to the HOF for sure. Always great to watch, especially when he was younger.

Time for Soria's first test of the year, bottom of the 9th and the heart of the White Sox's order coming up.:brb:

Time for Soria's first test of the year, bottom of the 9th and the heart of the White Sox's order coming up.:brb:

Alright 1 down. Lets see what he does to Thome.

Yep, he is going to the HOF for sure. Always great to watch, especially when he was younger.

IMHO, the best catcher to ever play the game. Anyone who didn't see him in his prime couldn't understand just how amazing he was. Especially since he donned the tools of ignorance for so many years in the Texas heat. It's unbelievable that he was able to play that long. And his pick off move was stunning. Players just didn't run on him.

Too bad we lost Jermaine Dye. Along with everyone good from the beginning of this century.

Eating them up, I'm surprised he doesn't have more velocity on his fastball. Not your typical closer.

Quisenberry didn't have a lot of heat either. As long as they can't hit you, that's all that matters.

And they win it! back to .500!

IMHO, the best catcher to ever play the game. Anyone who didn't see him in his prime couldn't understand just how amazing he was. Especially since he donned the tools of ignorance for so many years in the Texas heat. It's unbelievable that he was able to play that long. And his pick off move was stunning. Players just didn't run on him.
His ability to throw out runners is what always stood out to me. He was also pretty dam good at calling games too.

Eating them up, I'm surprised he doesn't have more velocity on his fastball. Not your typical closer.

He got through the heart of their order. I really think the Royals will be good this year.

He got through the heart of their order. I really think the Royals will be good this year.

Now you're just being mean, I won't even allow myself to go there. I just want them to be a little better than last year.

Now you're just being mean, I won't even allow myself to go there. I just want them to be a little better than last year.
Every other critic is picking them as their sleeper pick. I think it all depends on what kind of year Teahan has at second and if Gordon steps it up. Plus if Davies can build on last years finish, you guys might be surprised.

Every other critic is picking them as their sleeper pick. I think it all depends on what kind of year Teahan has at second and if Gordon steps it up. Plus if Davies can build on last years finish, you guys might be surprised.

That would be sweet, I'll be cynical till the end though. Too many years of horrendous baseball in KC.

That would be sweet, I'll be cynical till the end though. Too many years of horrendous baseball in KC.

I hear ya, but at least you guys have a sweet stadium with waterfalls.

If K.C. finishes .500 I'll be surprised and very happy about it. I think they are still a couple years away from contending into September. But by all means, prove me wrong, please.

That's too bad. Hope they throw the book at the person who fled the scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back