Could somebody from NICKENT respond to this?

It's both funny and sad that none of us know how to pronounce this brand name. Does anybody know the genesis of the name Nickent?

Edit: Watching a bunch of videos, the consensus pronunciation APPEARS to be Ni - Kent (although a couple, including one that looks like it could be from the company itself pronounces id Nick - ent).

It's both funny and sad that none of us know how to pronounce this brand name. Does anybody know the genesis of the name Nickent?

Well, I don't necessarily see any commercials for them, so who knows how it's pronounced??

Just emailed them about that Grogger.

As for how you pronounce it. The "I" is soft

Google leads me to this article: http://origin.golfweb.com/story/8361229

One of the most frequently asked questions when golfers first confront equipment from a small, growing clubmaker called Nickent is, simply, how do you pronounce the name?

Yes, it's only two syllables, but where does the emphasis go?

The simple answer: it's Ni-KENT, with the emphasis on the Kent part. The name derives from a combination of the backgrounds of the two original partners of the company, which was founded in 1996.

So two guys, named "Ni" and "Kent" combined to form a company? I kid.

So I'd have to assume Nick got the first spot as prime billing. Since Kent got screwed by this, they agreed Kent's name would get the empahsis (?)

Bottom line ... company branding is KEY to success and knowing how to pronounce the company name certainly helps branding.

I'm not trying to bring the company down ... I give these two guys serious props for starting a company that has grown to this size. I haven't hit their clubs, but plan to in short order. I hope they pull through this economy.

The local Dick's still had the old 3DX DC hybrids and was trying to tell me they were their latest. Was the only Nickent club they carried. I had to give the poor guy a lesson on what the new clubs are like compared to those. :D
So...I currently have the 3DX DC hybrids in the 2H,3H,4H, and 5H flavorings....

Are the 5DX's that much better????..If so, I might trade my 4 Wishon 321LI's in on 4 - 5DX's ($75 off each?) and then sell the 4 Nickent 3DX's to try and recoup some of the cost...I figure..How many times can my wife beat the crap out of me for buying clubs...:D

I wonder if companies like Titleist and others with funny spellings ever had to deal with this. I remember as a kid people asking if Nike had the "E" pronounced. And Adidas is still mispronounced all the time. It is truly Ah Dee Das

Are the 5DX's that much better????..If so, I might trade my 4 Wishon 321LI's in on 4 - 5DX's ($75 off each?) and then sell the 4 Nickent 3DX's to try and recoup some of the cost...I figure..How many times can my wife beat the crap out of me for buying clubs...:D

Are review might help answer that. We reviewed all three lines and give a difference between all of them.

the 5DX is the best hybrid ive ever hit, period. long, straight, and forgiving. definitely not a hook machine like some of the hybrids are (Callaway FT's)

Are Our review might help answer that. We reviewed all three lines and give a difference between all of them.

Fixed it for ya JB.

..I figure..How many times can my wife beat the crap out of me for buying clubs...:D

It's not the number of times but the weapons she graduates to with each subsequent beating

I haven't yet had the pleasure of hitting the 5DX hybrid, but JB did a great review of the 3 current market offerings - 3DX RC, 4DX, 5DX - and the differences between them. I really like my 3DX RC's, but everything I've read points me to one conclusion - I want to upgrade to the 5DX ASAP! :blob:

Our review might help answer that. We reviewed all three lines and give a difference between all of them.

Very nice review...left me with 3 phrases....

Read it
Like it
Want it....

Gonna head down to Edwin watts tomorrow and see what I can do concerning their "deal" on Hybrids...

Went to Nevada Bobs today & specifically looked for any Nickent products, only thing in the entire store was single used 4DX driver. Other than the net, exactly where are these clubs sold? They don't have them at Dicks, Golf Galaxy or Nevada Bobs.

Went to Nevada Bobs today & specifically looked for any Nickent products, only thing in the entire store was single used 4DX driver. Other than the net, exactly where are these clubs sold? They don't have them at Dicks, Golf Galaxy or Nevada Bobs.

Dyna,

According to their website, there are a supposed to be some stores in the state carrying them. Here are the ones that look the closest if memory serves:

B & G Golf (Thiensville, Brookfield, Delafield, Appleton)
Goodden's Sports (Mukwonago)
North Shore CC (Mequon)
The Golf Shack (Madison)
Tripoli Golf Shop (Milwaukee)

No guarantees on what they have on hand, but they're listed as retailer shops.

Dyna,

According to their website, there are a supposed to be some stores in the state carrying them. Here are the ones that look the closest if memory serves:

B & G Golf (Thiensville, Brookfield, Delafield, Appleton)
Goodden's Sports (Mukwonago)
North Shore CC (Mequon)
The Golf Shack (Madison)
Tripoli Golf Shop (Milwaukee)

No guarantees on what they have on hand, but they're listed as retailer shops.

Thanks. The Golf Shack in Madison closed up last year & I haven't been to any of the others.

Hopefully one of them has some clubs in stock. I know locally here there are about 3-4 places listed, but all I ever found were a couple old 3DX DC ironwoods at Dicks and Golf USA had 1 3DX RC ironwood and 1 4DX ironwood.

Where are they being sold?
Online just about everywhere.
In my area, Golfsmith, Edwin watts, and even the local Dicks has a few. Golfsmith and Edwin Watts have everything from their entire line.

T&D golf sells them as well here. The midwest must not have the best reps, but they have their own forum on this site. You can reach out and ask them specifically where you can try the clubs.

Any type of formal announcement?

We got the formal announcement about their new club teaser. But there is no formal announcement other than what was said on this very forum.

Many companies have made it without paying players.
True. Look at Mizuno. They are well respected despite never really signing any top players.
If you asked most people to name 3 people who are sponsored by Mizuno, I doubt they could do it. (Luke Donald, Brian Gay and Stacey Lewis are the only 3 I can think of)
Hopefully Im wrong, but I have a feeling that Nickent will soon be gone. I have no reason for that, just a feeling. Hopefully Im wrong, because it seems like a lot of people are really impressed with what Nicket has come out with.
Id like to see Nickent make it, I never liked to see a U.S.-based company go under, especially a golf company.

. Hopefully Im wrong, because it seems like a lot of people are really impressed with what Nicket has come out with.

i am one of them. i am EXTREMELY impressed with their clubs (Arc blades, Arc Wedges, Evolver, 5DX Hybrids, Tour Putters, 4DX Pro irons, etc). I really liked Sonartecs stuff too (GS Tour fairway woods, t46 Wedges). its a shame when a company that makes QUALITY golf equipment goes under. i really hope this doesnt happen to Nickent. i always thought they were destined to be one of the best

Where are they being sold?
Online just about everywhere.
In my area, Golfsmith, Edwin watts, and even the local Dicks has a few. Golfsmith and Edwin Watts have everything from their entire line.

My Golfsmith has a crappy selection of Nickent. I still cant find the 5DX hybrids around here to hit. Im going to check Roger Dunn this week.

My Golfsmith has a crappy selection of Nickent. I still cant find the 5DX hybrids around here to hit. Im going to check Roger Dunn this week.

oh man, you are in for a treat with the 5DX. i could not believe it the first time i hit one. i dont think ive ever hit a bad shot with my 5DX. im hoping to get another one too (the #5). they are so long, so straight, and so forgiving its almost like cheating

Back